Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Cracker Schoolhouse @ Christmas

School House/Construction Paper Triva
In the mid 1880’s teachers received $4 to $10 a month. A lot of teachers had to " board round", meaning they had to live with their students



Students of all ages were in the same class. Some of the younger students were three or four years old and other students were sometimes older than the teacher! The students weren't grouped by age; they were grouped by what book they were using. They all worked together on the same subject



The schools only had one room and all the kids were taught together. The children did not start school in September, either. The fall time was harvest time and kids had to pick apples, husk corn, carry water, and cook for the men working in the fields. They also gathered firewood and helped preserve the fruits and vegetables. School started when harvest was in.

In 1904, children were supposed to go to school until the age of 16; however, most kids never finished the 8th grade. They went to work in factories, farms and coalmines to help their families.

You may be wondering if they had construction paper back then. YES, they did, you know I googled it. I know

We have all cut it, pasted it, colored on it, made things from it. Did you know it was orginally called Sugar Paper?  The origin of the term sugar paper lies in its orginal use for making bags to contain sugar and for putting sweets in it.



a genre of colored educational papers were marketed to teachers in school supply catalogues (Andrews 1878, Babb 1897-98). the J.L. Hammett Co. catalogue (1895) of kindergarten supplies
 



the most amazing fact I found were these pastel drawing done on construction paper by artists in 1915.
Seems it got its start way back in 1600 and as we know it now in 1903. How many of you are thinking, Is She Nuts? a blog on Construction paper? Well the windows and all the decorations were made from construction paper at the villages and as I walked through I kept thinking, did they have construction paper when this school was built? and here we ARE
I WILL TRY TO DO BETTER TOMORROW
Timeline of Construction Paper if you care. ho! ho! ho!

8 comments:

Sunny said...

I always learn something from your blog. I love the little tree, it's really adorable.
Sunny :)

Beverly said...

Good post. I was out at the village before all the decorating was done, but I think I already said that.

They moved the dunce chair out of the corner. Are they being politically correct?

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Sandra, I would have wondered the same thing --after seeing the decorations. I think you are smart to learn the 'history' of construction paper. No need to apologize---I found it very interesting.. Sugar paper, huh????? Crazy!!!! (See what I learn by blogging)

I have alot of relatives who used to teach school. My old maid great aunts all were teachers. Of course, I started out as a teacher myself in 1965.

Another interesting Sandra post. Thanks!!!
Hugs,
Betsy

Catherine said...

Very interesting!

Madeline said...

I don't think it was boring at all. I just don't think as deeply about things as you do. I also usually learn something from your blogs. You know they say we are never too old to learn! (whoever "they" are?) Good blog!

Ginny Hartzler said...

You don't need to try harder tomorrow; this is absolutly delightful! I clicked on almost every picture. This is so interesting, and something we all just never think about! I see in the room in the fourth picture that everything is made out of construction paper! My very favorite are the blue bells. Something so simple, yet stunning. Not a Holiday color, but what an effect. Wonderful post; don't try to do better,you'll mess up a good thing. I love your posts just the way they are.

SquirrelQueen said...

I have to admit that it crossed my mind in the first photo showing the classroom. I had no idea construction paper had been around that long. I enjoy that kind of information. This was a great post.
Judy

MedaM said...

Another lovely post! I love those window decorations very much. Your photos are beautiful.