Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Lessons From Geese

Interesting facts about Canadian Geese and  a few of my photos of domestic geese.

Next fall when you see geese heading south for the winter... flying along in V formation...you might consider what science has discovered as to why they fly that way:
As each bird flaps its wings, it creates an uplift for the bird immediately following. By flying in V formation the whole flock adds at least 71% greater flying range, than if each bird flew on its own



When a goose falls out of formation, it suddenly feels the drag and resistance of trying to go it alone... and quickly gets back into formation to take advantage of the lifting power of the bird in front.
When the head goose gets tired it rotates back in the wing and another goose flies point.

Finally...and this is important...when a goose gets sick or is wounded by gunshots, and falls out of formation, two other geese fall out with that goose and follow it down to lend help and protection. They stay with the fallen goose until it is able to fly or until it dies


Geese mate for life and will stay together during all seasons.  Geese will find a new mate if mate dies or is killed.


If we have the sense of a goose, we can learn from them.
We can lift others and ourselves up buy sharing in a sense of direction, a sense of community
We can depend on others and others on us as we work as a team


We can take turns doing demanding jobs and we can come along beside the sick or wounded, support them when they need assistance.

Geese honk from behind to encourage those up front to keep up their speed. What do we say when we honk from behind? or what do we say when someone honks at us from behind?

4 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

Wow!! I adore this. It kind of makes the phrase "silly goose" meaningless. I also love the symetry in some of those photos, the artistic way the geese are standing. I notice some even have different color eyes. So it shall be a goose's life for us from now on!! I think I'll print out this post and put it on my fridge, just as a reminder to me to be a goose!!! Also, what a georgous new header with the redbird! I always look forward to you changing it. I never want you to change it, but it's usually something even better.

Dawning Inspiration said...

Interesting creatures, aren't they?
I like the lesson... thanks.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Great post, Sandra... When people 'honk' behind me, I usually SLOW way down... Makes them even madder!!!! ha (Of course, these days, they may pull out their gun!!!)

I knew that geese mated for life. I read an article once talking about a goose which lost its mate (death). That goose hung around honking and 'crying' for a long long time --looking for its mate. Sad, isn't it?????

Interesting post--and I liked reading that they protect each other and stay with each other to help. We humans do need to learn from them, don't we?

Hugs,
Betsy

SquirrelQueen said...

We are of the same mind today with our swans, ducks and geese. My husband found a similar article on geese about two weeks ago, we had a great discussion on the uplift the flock creates (hubby is a private pilot so he really gets into such discussions).

We have lots of Canada geese flying over and stopping in on the near by lakes and fields. Our local park has lots of Canada geese and China Whites like the ones in your fourth photo down. I always get a kick out of seeing them hanging around with the little tiny ducks. Great post Sandra, I really enjoyed it.
Judy