Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Photography, How I Love It!

Man is like a breath; his days are like a fleeting shadow.Psalm 144:4

I like to think I can grab those fleeting moments in time and freeze them there with my camera.

                       The camera can photograph thought. ~Dirk Bogarde

A photograph is a secret about a secret. The more it tells you the less you know.
Diane Arbus

A photograph is memory in the raw. ~Carrie Latet


We try to grab pieces of our lives as they speed past us. Photographs freeze those pieces and help us remember how we were. We don't know these lost people but if you look around, you'll find someone just like them. Gene McSweeney

A good snapshot stops a moment from running away. ~Eudora Welty

I think a photography class should be a requirement in all educational programs because it makes you SEE the world rather than just look at it. ~Author Unknown

Yesterday afternoon, I came in from the 3 pm Jake and the tennis ball game, and the sun was shining on the plant in the corner of the kitchen. I had been looking for an out of the ordinary photo to say what I feel about photography, and there it was in my own kitchen. the header says it all and he other quotes say what I want to say but have no words. I am a photographer, not  a word person. Share your feelings here with me and others about how you feel about photography.

11 comments:

Madeline said...

Beautiful header! I love that picture!! It is true that a good picture tells you a lot. I would say you are a photographer and a word person. Your words always compliment your photos.

Sunny said...

Your header is really terrific.
What I love about photography is it forces you to look beyond the obvious, to appreciate the details in ordinary things. Everywhere we look there is a photograph waiting to be taken.
I have been saving to get a better camera but it seems there is always something else that takes priority!
Sunny :)

Unknown said...

Great blog Sandra. It is not only your photography, but also your words that enticed me to want to pick up the camera."Enticed--to lead on by exciting hope or desire;
alure; invegile: they were enticed to pick up the camera and explore the world."
I to would like a new camera, but I am not great with the one I have.

Anonymous said...

I love photography too. Your passion for life and capturing those special things and moments always shines through in this blog. Love it :o)

Beverly said...

Your photos here are wonderful, MadSnapper. The header photo is outstanding.

Ginny Hartzler said...

Don't get me started! First, I love the shadow of the philodendron more than the actual plant. But who are these people? Are they stealth photos? The man fishing on the bridge is perhaps my favorite because you actually have a halo of light all around him. A saintly fisher of men, perhaps? I am by nature a fearful person, and have many fears. But when I have my camera in hand, it's like David's stone! I will brave things that I never would, just to get a shot, and not think of the danger. Phil likes this when we're driving, as I tend to not back seat drive and squeal as much.

MedaM said...

Another great post of yours. The header is fantastic.
And yes, photography speaks more than the words can, it really is a great thing to capture the moment that will never be the same again...

Betsy Banks Adams said...

You do take wonderful pictures, Sandra... That header is amazing... I am learning so much from people like you. I'm learning to look at things in a different light these days. It was so much fun taking pictures in the canyon this past weekend--especially with my new Rebel!!!!!

Hugs,
Betsy

Ulrika said...

I so agree with all the quotes and what you write too.
A camera makes you see sooo many things you'd never otherwise notice! It makes the world so much more rich and exciting!

Patti said...

Love the pictures!! Pictures are like captured stories without saying a word. Enjoy the picture, enjoy the story.

SquirrelQueen said...

You are an excellent photographer Sandra, you have a really good eye for making photos come alive.

I have to disagree just a bit with what some of the others have said about how the camera forces you to see details, etc.

The camera is a tool and does nothing on its own.It is simply a piece of equipment like a brush or canvas. The artist uses the camera to create what the mind sees. You are an artist.

Just my thoughts,
Judy