Friday, February 5, 2010

What Are Grits????

Header Photo Left to right Grandson Josh, Son David and his wife Deanna with her niece and nephew. They live in Tennessee.
Thanks Cambridge lady for my subject matter. Click here to meet her Just Waffling She asked on yesterday post, What is grits? UK meets USA, what fun.

My husband and I have cheese grits for dinner at least twice a month. We put the leftover grits in a plastic container and have it for breakfast for the next 4 days. YUM

Grits are small broken grains of corn. They were first produced by Native Americans centuries ago. Grits is ground up corn, finer than cornmeal. The above pictures is how hubby makes my breakfast from left over grits.

I don't have a photo of Just Plain Grits

this poem says it ALL, yesterday you learned grits is NOT cereal and what not to put on it. this is how we eat it in the south. the trick to good grits is cooking it at least half hour or more and a lot of stirring goin on. Do not cook it FIVE minutes as the bag/box tells you. YUK is what you will get and grit stuck between your teeth.
Hubby's favorite breakfast with left over grits at the top of the plate.

Grits in the morning,
grits at night.
With butter and salt,
they taste just right.
Grits with bacon,
grits with ham.
I'm a grit lover,
yes, i am.
Grits with breakfast,
biscuts and gravy.
If you dont like grits,
you must be crazy.
Fresh hot grits,
stick to your ribs.
That's how a southerner.
likes to live.
Grits on the side,
but not to runny.
Northerners think grits,
taste kinda funny.
But good old grits,
just cant be beat.
It's a pure down south,
southern taste treat.
So give me grits every day,
I'll eat my grits any which way.
I love grits,
thats what i said.
If you aint never ate grits,
you aint never been fed!  By Martha B, 2007.


Nutrition Facts
Amount Per 1 cup, cooked
Calories 110.4
Calories from Fat 3.21
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 0.357g 1%
Saturated Fat 0.0476g 0%
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.152g
Monounsaturated Fat 0.0863g
Cholesterol 0mg 0%
Sodium 319.63mg 13%
Potassium 38.79mg 1%
Total Carbohydrate 23.69g 8%
Dietary Fiber 0.476g 2%
Protein 2.62g 5%
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That's all you"all

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the education and the link back :o)

I shall have to try grits next time I am on the other side of the pond.

Anonymous said...

And that header photo is fabulous Sandra!

Y'all have a great weekend! xx

Unknown said...

Madsnapper, "I love dem Grits"
Your creativity never ceases to amaze me..
You are so full of ideas.
Header picture "Grits posse"?

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Love the header picture... That's what we folks look like up hwar in Tennersee.....

I still don't care for grits--although with a big wad of cheese and butter on them --and maybe some back and eggs around them, I could eat them...

Remember to tell Cambridge Lady that when you list the nutrients --that you didn't include all of the extras to make the grits actually taste good... ha

Hugs,
Betsy

Madeline said...

Love the picture of David and family! I was raised on grits and have always loved it. Six years ago when I had a gastric bypass, I could no longer eat it, or the scrambled eggs that I so loved with it. (And cheese on top of the grits of course!) I still love it but it does not love me. If I eat it I could get sick. Recently I have found that I can eat Cream of Wheat. Definitely not grits, but similar. The other night I have some left over baked ham. I browned it in a pan, fried some eggs over easy added butter and cheese to the grits and made southern bisquits. Now that is one fine southern meal! Yep, a cholesterol attack waiting to happen but MMMMM-MMMMMM-GOOD! Snapper thought he had died and gone to heaven! I had Cream of Wheat, and that was good too. Come on you Yankee folk, get yourself a bag of grits! You don't know what you are missing!!! Live dangerously!!! :-)

Ginny Hartzler said...

O.K., now I'm hungry again! You post the tastiest looking plates of food!! So when I'm not actually eating, looking at these is the next best thing. Phil grew up in Newport News, son of a rather poor preacher. Never had grits!! A local breakfat spot here serves them just boiled, and he has had those once in a while. I've never had any! Hey, how about doing a whole series on southern food? Phil said that growing up, they had hominy. Corn soaked in lye, yum!! I'll take three helpings and a dose of rat poison remedy!

Alice said...

I LOVE grits!! Made cheese grits the other night. When I make'em I follow the directions then, once thickened, add some milk, minced garlic and shredded sharp cheddar to them. SOOO good!! For the leftovers, top'em with more cheese and refrigerate til breakfast. Some kinda good eatin'!!!
LOVED the blog and mouthwatering pictures!

tipper said...

Grits always make me think of my Mamaw-she would make them for me no matter what time of the day. You did a great job describing them too.

SquirrelQueen said...

I love the poem, it tells it like it is. You are making me want grits but the ones I get on this side of the Rocky's are just so so.