Saturday, February 6, 2010

What Exactly is Dialect?

Define Dialect:
1. The usage or vocabulary that is characteristic of a specific group of people (worldnetweb)
2. A regional or social variety of a language distinguished by pronunciation, grammar, or vocabulary (grammar.about.com)
3. Linguistics. a variety of a language that is distinguished from other varieties of the same language by features of phonology, grammar, and vocabulary (dictionary.reference.com)

I say balderdash to all of these definitions. It means when you hear someone talk and they don't sound like you they have an accent.

I love to listen to anyone that does not sound like me! Has anyone ever heard of Hugh Grant? You can hear his accent and get a few chuckles.


 
My niece Patty live in Pennsylvania (same northern accent as my husband). Patty attended a business meeting with her husband and found herself with 3 other women in a car. Aa woman from Kentucky, a woman from Texas, a woman from Ireland, lives in Canada) and Patty.
Patty said: "its funny but everyone of you have an accent except me" She told me the other women alll laughed and were ready to push her out of the car. It seems they thought She had an Accent.
 
On a new blog I have subscribed to a couple of days back, I met Tippers Applachia Grannies. Click on Grannies to listen to Southern Music and See Southern Grannies.
These are my two Southern Belle Grannies
Daddy's Mother, we called her Mommy, born in Florida

My Mothers, Mother-we called her Gonnie because I could not say granny, I was the first grand child so I had the privilege of naming her for all the other grand children. Her headstone simply says "Gonnie" because all her friends and the people she worked with in the hospital called her the name I picked.

6 comments:

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hey Girl, I love your new comment form!!!! Tee Hee.....

There is another word besides dialect. It's Colloquialism. Heard it??? It means: a word or phrase that is not formal or literary, typically one used in ordinary or familiar conversation.

I studied all of this stuff once --and I even studied Appalachian Dialect. Very interesting!!!!

We all have our accents.. That's for sure!!!!

Hugs,
Betsy

Anonymous said...

When we lived in Oregon we'd always get the "your English accent is so cute" comments. When I was feeling a little cheeky I'd say how cute I thought their accents were. It was odd how many people thought they didn't actually have an accent - that they were "normal", whatever that means, and everyone from everywhere else had developed some strange way of talking. One woman even asked "at what age do kids in England start talking British??". Accents and dialects are brilliant - I'm loving this series of blog-posts Sandra! :o)

Ginny Hartzler said...

Your grandmothers are beautiful! And the story of your neice is too funny. For sure I know Hugh Grant, now when I see him, all that comes to mind is that scandal he had a while back! Too bad he's known for that now. The video is very funny. We love Letterman! Used to watch him every night way back when he first started and was on a different network.

tipper said...

Great post! I don't think I have an accent-until I hear myself on tape or video : ) Oh my do I have an accent! I loved the story about the women in the car-so cute.

Love your Grannies too-neat that you named one of them. Granny and Pap were already Granny and Pap when my girls came along.

Thank you for the shout out!

SquirrelQueen said...

I love the photos of your grandmothers, they look like fine Southern women.

I'm aware of my accent. Even though I have lost the heavy drawl a touch of my southern accent remains. At one time I could pick out various southern accents. Folks from TN had/have a slightly different drawl than those from South AL.

Yep, I recognize Hugh Grant.

MedaM said...

This post is really interesting. I completely enjoyed. I cannot be proud of my listening skill and I am often very disappointed and even use to be angry when I am not able to follow some movie without translation, but there is no wonder when there are so many dialects and accents LOL It is easier for me to understand what is written then what is said. My sons told me that I don’t have to understand every word but there is no hope for me. LOL But I have to say that I understood Hugh Grant and I was happy for that. Of course that I know for this wonderful actor. I had some fun with this post. Thanks for that.
Your grandmothers are beautiful!