Saturday, December 13, 2014

Schefflera Tree Alert! Deadly to Dogs


 Jake came out of the jungle with this odd looking stick in his mouth. It was covered in berries the size of blue berries and he was stripping them off with his teeth.

Warning if you have these trees, the leaves, pods, flowers and sticks are poison to Pets per the
For info click on link below


Baby wandered over and started to eat the berries he stripped off. there were a ton of them, I threw a shovel of dirt over the ones on  the ground, took the stick and ran for Google..


The pods, the flowers, berries and all parts of it can be deadly to dogs.. I ran back outside and there was Baby, digging through the dirt eating them like candy. I got them all in the trash but later in the day she started flapping her ears severely, and acting strange...

at first we thought she had something in her ears and cleaned them out. It got worse.. Per the info on PetPoison site, that was caused by the berries.. Lucky for us, she had no foaming mouth or seizures and was better the next day.

we think that is because she passed them through that next morning because she did not chew but swallowed them whole.

Below is the flower blooming at tip top of tree and a squirrel eating the flowers before they turn to berries.
and no it did not harm the squirrels

30 comments:

Deb said...

That is scarey! Glad all is well!!!

eileeninmd said...

I am so glad your baby Jake is Ok. that as scary..

Enjoy your weekend!

Ann said...

oh how scary. I'm glad Baby is ok. Strange that the squirrel can pig out on them and not be affected

Jo said...

Oh phew, I'm glad your dogs are OK, Sandra. Good on you for being an alert dog/pet owner. Many people would either not know this or even care, if they did. Bless you and thanks for the warning. These are exotics in South Africa (I only garden with indigenous back home) but I'll pass on to friends who have these trees and also own dogs. Have a great weekend. Jo

A Quiet Corner said...

So many plants are toxic to dogs and cats, Sandra. Good thing you acted quickly!!!...:)JP

Mersad said...

Luckily we don't have them here.

Mersad
Mersad Donko Photography

Molly TheWally said...

Wow that was scary and thank God everything was OK. Have a super Saturday.
Best wishes Molly

From the Kitchen said...

Interesting that the squirrels aren't affected. That must have been scary!

Best,
Bonnie

Rebecca said...

Wow, glad it had a happy ending. I was worried as I was reading this.

Cattails said...

So thankful she was ok and thank you for the warning.

EG CameraGirl said...

Oh my goodness! I'm so glad Baby swallowed them whole and did not chew. VERY scary!

DeniseinVA said...

How scary Sandra! Glad Baby is okay. A good warning and info for people who have pets. So many plants are poisonous. I guess those squirrels can eat anything. Now why doesn't that surprise me :)

TexWisGirl said...

oh, goodness! glad you had the forethought to try to dissuade her from eating them as you googled to find out more! could have been awful!

Andrea Priebe said...

I don't think Schefflera grows in the wild by us, but I know many people have them as house plants. I learned years ago about them being poisonous ... in fact there are so many plants poisonous to cats that I don't even have live plants in my house any more ... just playing it safe. By the way, my "black" thumb is so bad, I have actually killed a few artificial plants. Nothing to be proud of:) Glad your dogs are okay ... close call!

Andrea @ From The Sol

Inger said...

Poor Sandra, that must have been so difficult. I'm glad Baby is OK and I know those who have these trees will be grateful for the warning.

Marie Flutterby said...

❆ Good to know I will pass this information on to my my friends who own dogs, thank you so much.

Gail said...

Glad to know she is better. That is scary!

Cheryl @ TFD said...

I'm sure glad to hear that everything is okay with Baby!
Have a nice weekend!

Ginny said...

Oh my GOSH!!! And you didn't know they were even there? A new invader...I guess that Bob will get right to it pulling them up or cutting them down. Or setting them on fire. So Jake had no symptoms at all, and he is the one that found them! Baby must have a more sensitive system plus she is not young. CLOSE call. Good thing you were really up on this and saved them before they ate any MORE!! GOOD Mommy!

Madi and Mom said...

GOOD GRIEF THANK GOODNESS YOU WERE RIGHT THERE....HOS IS BABY DOING?
LOTS OF HUGS MADI AND MOM

Terri Buster said...

Oh that must have been scary- you never know what might harm an animal. I'm glad Jake is ok.

SweetMarie said...

I'm so glad your babies are okay!!!

Chatty Crone said...

Glad she was okay - where do those things grow - I don't think i have seen them here.

SquirrelQueen said...

That was quick thinking on your part. I'm glad Baby and Jake are okay. So many plants are dangerous for our fur babies. I got rid of all my house plants except for a couple of trees that the cats ignore any ways.

Cranberry Morning said...

I'm so glad that Jake and Baby are okay and that they have a quick-acting mama!! Dogs can be such a worry, and of course they're drawn to the berries and ripping them off the branch. What an interesting plant that is. Cute photo of the squirrel. And so odd that the berries don't adversely affect him. Then again, look at the difference in how dark chocolate affects me and how it affects dogs!

Just Me Pooh said...

Oh, my!!! I am so glad you moved as quickly as you did and got those berries away from sweet Baby Girl and sweet Jake. And we are ever so happy that all is well with them. I don't think we have any of those kind of trees in our area. Good of you to post the warning about the trees. Hugs and nose kisses for those sweeties and big hugs for you sweet Sandra

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I'm so glad she is okay.

Ida said...

Yikes that would be scary. I'm so glad that the outcome was good for your sweet pet.
Remember too that Poinsettias are poisonous to cats and probably dogs.

pattisjarrett said...

I'm glad your story has a happy ending. :)

Casey said...

OMD, how skeery! I hope everyone's doing better now. Thanks fur the warning!