Tuesday, July 28, 2015

The Tree of Life -Gulf Fritterary


Above is our Dwarf Powder puff bush, we had a bad storm last Thursday and the wind blew it over and the top fell into the pool. It is in a pot, and is alive, but the leaves all turned brown. UPDATE: I created the post a week ago, the tree is now dead.


Late in the afternoon, I stood looking at the leaves, and broke a piece to see if it is green inside. A gulf Fritterary almost sat on my camera a couple of times, then landed and just hung there.


Soon there were three of them hanging and settling in for the night. My friend told me several years ago to watch where they land at night because that is their roost and they will return again and again.

Standing 10 feet away with wings closed, they were perfectly camouflaged. The one below kept beating its wings and I managed one decent shot of them open. With the small camera I had to get to close and it upset them.

Come Home to Mama Rebel  DSLR.. I am waiting. (waiting two weeks now)


18 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Good morning, beautiful butterfly captures! Sorry about your bush! Enjoy your day!

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

I hope your camera is fixed soon, but you captured wonderful shots of the butterflies. Sorry the powder bush didn't make it!

My Mind's Eye said...

Wow what a beautiful orange/red butterfly!!
Hugs madi and mom

Rose said...

How beautiful!!! Butterflies are just gorgeous...I have never seen this one.

What Karen Sees said...

He is beautiful. I've been trying to get a picture of a butterfly all summer. They fly past my backyard but are just not landing, not even on my butterfly bush!!

Anonymous said...

Sorry about the tree. I love the butterflies. So pretty. I know you are anxious to get your camera back

Just Mags said...

What fantastic captures of those beauties sweet Sandra. So sorry about the loss of your tree. Hugs

Kathy said...

So sorry about your tree. I heard of that bad storm you guys had. You managed to get some good shots of the butterflies but where will they go now?

Just this morning I was thinking and wondering if you had gotten your camera back. Thanks for answering that silent question!

Cranberry Morning said...

Beautiful butterfly shots, Sandra.But I'm sorry about the tree. :-(

Mersad said...

Love the red butterfly. Feel better soon!

Mersad
Mersad Donko Photography

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

I have to post somewhere- feel better soon!

Anonymous said...

Oh the butterfly is beautiful. Sorry about your tree.


So sad Sandra.

Ida said...

So sorry to hear you lost your bush in the storm. It's neat though to see the lovely butterflies have found refuge in it.

Hootin Anni said...

Wonderful snaps!!!

Hope you're feeling better by now.

Deb said...

Hope your feeling better!

Betty Manousos said...

hope you're feeling better by now..


(((hugs)))

commonplacebeautyphotography said...

I'm sorry about your powder puff tree. Nice pics of the butterfly though. He's a beauty! Hope you're feeling better!!!

Betty Manousos said...

re-visited this post to say how fabulous your butterfly shots are! bravo!