Wednesday, October 25, 2017

What in the Sam Hill


Are you thinking, why in the Sam Hill would she post photos of a pool hose?
Just because it was there


While eating breakfast Bob said. "do you remember saying What in the Sam Hill when you were young. This started a conversation of all the ways our parent said it.

Samar What in the Sam Hill were you thinking? (Daddy to me using my nickname)

We went through lots of memories and I said WHY did you ask me this?

He said while he was cooking breakfast he kept fumbling and dropping and thought in his head, What the Sam Hill is going on?" Then he wondered what in the Sam Hill made him say it.

I picked up the tablet and said to Google Girl the phrase, What in the Sam Hill?
here is the answer she gave me and we have decided our parents used it because their parents did and it was a way to swear without saying the words. 

A possible origin for the phrase "Sam Hill" is the surveyor Samuel W. Hill (1819–1889). Hill allegedly used such foul language that his name became a euphemism for swear words.
UPDATE from Rose... this will take you to Merle Hagard singing Sam Hill


22 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

Wow, I didn't know this!! A very cool fact! Now, why was your nickname Samar? Maybe that is for your next post.

Karen said...

That is interesting! My family used that phrase too. I should write a list of all the peculiar sayings my grandparents had. (north Georgia)

Gayle said...

I just love this post (despite the pool hose-haha).
Just this past Sunday at a mini cousin get together my cousin said 'honest to John'. I told her I hadn't heard that in years.
Now I will have to google it.

Cat Lover said...

Always wondered where that expression came from!
Thanks for sharing Sandra!

From the Kitchen said...

Thank goodness I won't have to lay awake wondering who in the Sam Hill Sam Hill was anymore!!

Best,
Bonnie

My Mind's Eye said...


Samar
Sam Hill was a frequent visitor at our house too.
Daddy's favorite thing to say that never made any sense at all was,
When asked how are you , 'fine as wine, twice on the ball, no windows not doors just a hole in the wall'.
It always made my daughter giggle.
Hugs Cecilia

Rose said...

And then there is a song by Merle Haggard called Sam Hill.

Anonymous said...

Very interesting! This was fun.

Lois said...

It looks interesting in the sunlight and shadows! I used to hear that phrase all the time growing up, but rarely hear it now.

eileeninmd said...

Hello, the phrase was not used in my family. As far as I can remember. It is interesting to learn where it came from and that there is a song too.

Happy Wednesday, enjoy your day!

Chatty Crone said...

I remember that saying - but I don't think I ever used it. ☺

Mevely317 said...

I don't recall hearing anyone say "Sam Hill" ... but the back-story's fascinating. (I'm going to check out Merle singing a little later when I'm alone.)

Yours was sure a cute nickname!

Ida said...

Well that was fun. I love finding out where phrases like that come from.

The Adventures of the LLB Gang said...

I just love learning something new everyday, and now I have!! Thanks MS(and Google Girl)!

DeniseinVA said...

That is very interesting. I love learning this kind of stuff. Thank you :)

DawnTreader said...

I've never come across that expression before, I think.

Ann said...

I remember hearing that phrase but never knew it's origin. Very interesting. It's been a long time since I've heard anyone say it too. I'm with Ginny, wondering where the nickname Samar came from

Ruth Hiebert said...

Interesting. I have used that phrase, but not in a long time.Actually had forgotten about it.

Blogoratti said...

You learn something new everyday, great to know and thanks for sharing. Plus, liking the abstract photos.

Pam said...

Well Sam Hill!!! haha....So glad you looked up the origin on that. I am always wanting to know things like that.

Linda said...

Louis Dean and I were discussing slang sayings just yesterday! I said something about that blooming vacuum cleaner.....he said I was tighter than Dick’s hatband!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I've never said that and I don't remember ever hearing that growing up!