Saturday, December 2, 2017

Christmas Movies Fantasy or Science Fiction


Don't miss, Hallmark's The Christmas Train by David Baldacci. I loved the movie and I Read the book, it is wonderful to

Like most women, I have been watching Christmas Movies. I have missed most of the 33 new Hallmark Christmas movies, because they chose to put them on Saturday/Sunday evenings and that is Bob's TIME... he OWNS the DVR during Nascar, NHRA, Football etc etc all of which run on those evenings.


I have seen 4 new ones and have 4 on my DVR to watch.  In MY opinion, most of the Christmas movies should be listed as Fantasy...(the faculty or activity of imagining things, especially things that are impossible or improbable)
Sci-Fi... ( fiction based on imagined future scientific or technological advances and major social or environmental changes, frequently portraying space or time travel and life on other planets.)


1. How many men in your lives, fathers, sons, husbands, boyfriends have you ever seen laughing merrily with big grins on their faces while HANGING ORNAMENTS on a tree? (I have to say here, I have NEVER seen a man hang ornaments on a tree other than in a movie)

2. Have you ever seen a man sing and laugh while untangling tree lights? for that matter how many have laughed your self while doing that? Has anyone EVER untangled lights without ..well, anger? aggravation?

3. Have you ever driven through your town at Christmas, down each PERFECT street, every house is perfect, all the bushes are spaced just right, plus everyone you see IS SMILING... have you evern seen a FROWN in a Christmas movie?

4. Last but not least.... The man with a big smile carries in 2 big boxes of ornaments to HELP the person who has no Christmas decorations (he says he wants to help her get her Chrismtas back) brahaha, , and 87,000 smiles later, they have decorated the WHOLE HOUSE inside and outside, with Christmas Decorations. the bannisters are draped and wrapped with enough garland to fill 6 boxes,  I mean the 3 wreaths on the front of the house, where did they come from, one would not fit in the boxes they carry in.

5. Sorry, I said last but I thought of another one.,.. a big one for those of us who live in Florida.
As the Credit ROLL, it always, always starts to SNOW on the
A. kissing couple
B. family in the window looking out SMILING
C. Couple walking outside with arms around each other IN THE SNOW...

HOW MANY MILLIONS LIVE WHERE IT DOESN"T SNOW AT CHRISTMAS?

6. Then comes The HAPPY ENDING. The Man get the Woman, The Woman gets The Man, The child gets a dad or mom.... so is this fantasy or science fiction????

I close with this thought... In the old movies made in the 40's, It's A Wonderful Life and Christmas on 34th Street, things were not so perfect. We had man contemplating suicide,  a mean mom, a drunken Santa. Two of my favorites. 

I DO love Christmas Movies and would not DARE state I don't on  a public blog even if I didn't... I AM JUST SAYIN....  These movies are fun and heartwarming but what about people who see them and think life could be like this. Isn't that setting them up for disappointment? 









16 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

As soon as I red this, I searched on the T.V. for The Christmas Train. Not there. Then I looked in the T.V. Guide. Not there for the next week. I seem to remember seeing it in the guide awhile back. But they are always re-running their Christmas movies, so now I will be on the alert. You are so RIGHT about the movies. I quit watching them because they were so predictable! Girl is going with a guy that we can see from the start is NOT the right man for her. Shortly later she runs into an insufferable man, and they bicker and fight. By the end, she has dumped the first guy and marries the new guy. ALWAYS. They are all cookie cutter movies. I never thought about it, but you are RIGHT! The old movies were more realistic! I am anxious to see yours, though, it must be good!

crafty cat corner said...

I'm not a lover of Christmas movies but used to love the ones with Tim Allen in when the kids were young.
Briony
x

Ann said...

Your last statement sums up what I was thinking. Iwatch the Christmas movies but I think all these perfect decorations, families and men set people up with unrealistic expectations of what their Christmas should be like.
They should make a movie based on a family who bickers all the time, the man lays on the couch watching football in his underwear. The woman spends all her time cleaning the house, cooking meals, trying to get in the shopping and decorating. The kids fight in between writing revised lists of what they want for Christmas. And lets not forget the dog who is having accidents in the house and the cat who won't stop climbing the tree.

eileeninmd said...

Hello, I watch the Hallmark movies and enjoyed the Christmas Train. It is a switch from my addiction to MSNBC. The new movies to all have the same plot and ending. My favorite old movie was Miracle on 34th street, the original version. For some reason I could watch "The Santa Claus" movie over and over. It is silly but I like it. Enjoy your day!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

This is such a good post. I always pray for people that don't have that 'perfect family or perfect life'. Mine is quite different from anything I could imagine a few years ago but I count my blessings and enjoy what I have...which is pretty wonderful! Sure brings back memories when you enter the holidays though. Love the old movies! And appreciate your sweet comment this morning. I should have written 'what is that bright light and all that GREEN! heehee! Hugs!

Pam said...

I watched the Christmas Train the other night and I LOVED it. Great movie. My all time fav for the Christmas season is Miracle on 34th Street. I make it a point to watch both it and White Christmas every yr.....last yr I did not get around to it so I might just have to watch them both TWICE this yr. What? Are men suppose to help put up Christmas, the tree, lights, any of it? And with a smile or a laugh? Not in my lifetime...haha...White Christmas would love to have one but I can't even begin to remember when we had that in the Nashville area. I do remember however when I was a kid growing up here we got SNOW....6 to 8 inches. We don't even see that anymore. I had to take my daughter and grandson to Great Lakes Ill. to see snow when my son graduated basic. He had never seen that much snow at one time either....over a foot. It was amazing!

Chatty Crone said...

My daughter thinks I am addicted and need help! I love the old ones and I love the new ones - yes they are similar - endings - but getting there is different - they are uplifting and positive. lol I love them. sandie

Betty Manousos said...

i'm a huge lover of christmas movies, both old and new. the classic 1951 adaptation of charles dickens' a christmas carol - my all-time favorite movie!

plus: the santa claus movie, elf... there are far too many to mention. xo

My Mind's Eye said...

My name is Mom of Madi and I do so very much love Christmas movies.
I watched Christmas Train..love Kimberly Williams-Paisley and Dermot Mulroney
Have you seen Christmas in the Air? That is with Catherine Bell from JAG
Can you DVR the movies?
HugsMoM, mom of madi

The Adventures of the LLB Gang said...

Shhhhhh, I don't watch the Hallmark channel(or Lifetime) for all those reasons you stated. I do like Christmas movies, but more of the funnier or classical ones(Albert Finney's, Scrooge is my most favorite).

I have read David Baldacci tho, and will look for the Christmas Train!

Rose said...

Roger does actually enjoy putting on ornaments usually, but oh, the gnashing of teeth with the lights from both of us! Not so much putting them on as at the actual lights. I would gladly pay 5-10 dollars for lights that would actually work good for 4 or 5 years. I saw led lights that were 5.88 and wondered would they last.

Roger just does not like the Christmas movies, so I seldom watch one. I would not want to watch them all anyway...hate that that is all that is on from before Thanksgiving till after Christmas/New Years. I can't remember for sure about lasting till after New Years but I think they do.

As for letting people down...in ways isn't it better to hope for something good than all the killing/murders we normally watch? Just saying...I would watch cop/murder mysteries a big lot of the time if I could. I watched most of a show about Ted Bundy night before last, then another real life murder last night on Dateline I think it was...not sure.

DawnTreader said...

I don't watch a lot of special Christmas movies but no doubt I'll still end up watching a few before the season is over. I have often wondered why a happy romantic ending in any American movie (usually produced in Hollywood) has to include snow... Well I guess it contributes to that fantasy magic feeling! In real life, though, it's more likely to just cause traffic problems!

Inger said...

I don't remember any Christmas movies, including the old and pretty good ones, except It's a Wonderful Life. Which does count as a Christmas movie I guess. Anyhow, whether all the good cheer and perfect endings are bad or good for us, I belive depends on the individual who watches. Fantasy and happy endings can be good for you, I think. If you are seriously depressed you probably should not watch them though.

Mevely317 said...

I don't recall having watched any Christmas movies since I was little! (Amahl and the Night Visitors comes to mind.) In fact, I've never seen It's a Wonderful Life or Miracle on 34th.

After my dad passed (Dec.'81) we put on a good face each year for mother. Then after she - then Caraleigh - died, I've been more prone to melancholy than not. Maybe it's a good idea that I look for volunteer work during the holidays?

PS - I'm really taken with the base of your little dome. Is that naturally aged, or distressed on purpose. Charming!


Debby@Just Breathe said...

I'm loving the movies. I tape all four each weekend between the two Hallmark channels and Lifetime also has one on Saturday and Sunday. I find I have to look ahead and tape them at other times during the week. Those channels show them all again. However, they are what we would like Christmas to be. You don't often, if ever, see this in real life!!

Linda said...

The Christmas movies are a welcome relief to all other programming including news and sports - in my opinion! I got tired of all the blood, guts and violence - and that was just the news! Entertainment that gives me bad dreams is not healthy for me nor is it entertaining!
Now The Christmas Train! We loved it! However, have you ever seen a train inside look like that one? Yes, fantasy. But dreams are fantasy sometimes and I’d rather dream than have nightmares!