Friday, February 23, 2018

Well, PHOOEY! I missed it

Photo Wikipedia
Above is the Eastern Screech Owl, for several weeks I have listened to them in early AM and at bedtime. Bob can't hear them because of his hearing. Click here to see  a video and here them and here to see images of the different types. Ours look like this one..

 As we drove home from the YMCA it was breaking daylight and I kept slowing, staring at the sky changing colors and the trees black against the colors. I raced in the house, grabbed the camera and headed for the street to capture the scene. A few clicks and back in the house and Bob says WHERE WERE YOU? you missed the owl, he was sitting on our SWING, staring at me 4 feet from my face, he just sat there and I could not find you.

We hang our bathing suits and towels on the swing to dry for the day. There he sat and I MISSED him/her.
the video says they have 14 bones in their necks and can go 270 degrees around. They love street lights, because it draws bugs and moths. We have a street light in our yard, which explains why they sit in our trees. I have seen both of them a few times but always way up in the tree.
I MISSED this guy to get these...



16 comments:

Linda said...

You got some pretty pictures! Perhaps tomorrow you can get the owl!!!

Ginny Hartzler said...

Well, these are very pretty pictures. I love the black and palest of pink. Birds often come back to the same places and have schedules. Look for him back on the swing around the same time! I bet you will see him.

Ann said...

The pictures you got are pretty but it's a shame you missed the owl. If your luck is anything like mine you could sit out there 24 hours a day for a week and it wouldn't land there again. But the minute you go back in the house there it will be.

DawnTreader said...

Maybe it will be back? :)

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
it's not such a loss when you get winning shots like these!!! YAM xx

eileeninmd said...

OH no, sorry you missed the owl. Maybe it will come back! I 've been hearing them here too. I think they are calling for a mate now. Pretty sunset! Enjoy your day!

The Adventures of the LLB Gang said...

I just hate when that happens!! On the upside, you go some wonderful sunset shots!!

My Mind's Eye said...

Dang it sorry you missed it but thank goodness for Google and your mind's eye you can pretend you saw it. Love the sunrise
Hugs Cecilia

Mevely317 said...

Before moving (from Tarpon Springs) I'd a tiny screen porch off the back of my townhouse where I'd sit every morning with coffee. Kind of secluded, but one day I couldn't shake the feeling someone was watching me. All of a sudden my eyes fell on the electric box on the other side of screen ....and here's this white owl. Scared me to pieces for a moment there!

I do hope your little visitor likes the swing and comes back again!

photowannabe said...

Oh what a bummer to miss the owl on your swing...but you got some gorgeous morning breaking the sky shots.

Pam said...

I hate that you missed the owl but I am sure that he/she will return just so you can get a pic! Good Luck.

Chatty Crone said...

Well getting the bird would have been nice- those photos you took were pretty great too. Nice captures.

Ruth Hiebert said...

Too bad you missed the owl, but what you did get was beautiful.

KB said...

I think that the owl will be back, very close to your house. Keep your eyes peeled. I wonder if s/he has a nest near there. Wouldn't it be cool if you found it? I love the photos that you did get!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Oh no, I can't believe that!! We have owls at night that usually sit on our neighbors chimney. Sometimes they are on our back fence but it's dark outside so I never get a picture.

Ohmydearests said...

how disappointing! at least you can hear them...