Monday, October 8, 2012

To Glade or Not to Glade, that is the question


 I keep Glade Cinnamon Apple for emergency smells, Febreze for Doggy Carpet Smells and the reason the Airwick is in the pic, is I had a senior moment picked it up by accident.

 I love candles, scented ones, but am allergic to all except Apple Cinnamon or Vanilla by Glade. I bought the Glade above last week, cost 2.50 marked down from 2.98. I keep it on the stove to burn up cooking smells.


the purpose of today's post is to advise you of how smart my mother was and how smart I am and to share our secret with all of you.... The secret is, if you are OUT of scented candles and the spray can is empty, and there is a SMELL you want to cover up...... All You Need is a Box of Matches.


The instructions are SIMPLE...  just strike several matches and blow them out and wave the smoke around. it only takes TWO for the smallest room in the house, if you know what I mean. It Works, Try it!

It will even cover the cooking smells, like garlic and onion. Since I am a firebug, I lit not one but 10 matches while playing with the camera.
PS    Bob came home and stepped in the door and said "do I smell matches?"  ha ha ho ho he he

40 comments:

Golden Woofs! SUGAR said...

Woof! Woof! Mom is not a big fan of sprays, just scented candles. Lots of Golden Woofs, Sugar

Kathy said...

My mother-in-law ALWAYS kept a box of matches in the bathroom! Better than any perfumed air freshener you've ever used!

BlueShell said...

Oh...here we do have Air Wick...and Breeze...but thanks for the matches secret! I'm going to use it in the bath room and in the kitchen...oh yes I do!!!
Thank you dear!

xoxo
isabel

crafty cat corner said...

I remember my Mum lighting candles to clear the cigarette smoke from the room when I was younger.
Actually it's amazing that I am here at all when I think back. Both my Mum and Dad smoked heavily and the room used to be like a London smog. lol
It's a wonder I survived when I look back and don't suffer from some kind of breathing problem, but I think we were made tough in those days and the food was uncontaminated, no pesticides etc.
Also we took a lot of exercise, walked everywhere.
I'm going to try the matches, I hate the smell of cooking left in th kitchen.
Briony
x

DawnTreader said...

I avoid perfume in most products as I'm allergic. Dont like scented candles either. Worst thing I ever did - way back in my youth - was to put perfumed thingys in my vaccuum cleaner. It was AWFUL. The smell persisted for months even after I'd removed the stuff...

DawnTreader said...

Hey it seems I finally managed to log in with my usual blogging signature on the phone!:-)

Declan said...

Being a proper boy, I like to set fire to my own farts....which are pretty lethal!!! Deccy x

Amy Burzese said...

My mother did that too. I had forgotten about it. I don't like to use products due to chemicals and spending money on them. Thanks for reminding me of this!

Remington said...

Great info! Thanks for sharing!

Auntie sezzzzzz... said...

We can't do *much Glade-ing* here, because of allergies.

But do the trick of putting out a small candle, when we have too much cooking smoke. But hey, one can just light matches. How about that?!? It's the smoke which works.

"Auntie"

Chatty Crone said...

You can keep them in your purse - and when you go to the bathroom outside your home - you can light one. True. Just don't burn the place down.

Susannah said...

This is a wonderful trick that really does work!

Terri Buster said...

I needed this trick Saturday- I cleaned my oven and it smelled like burned grease for two days.

TexWisGirl said...

yup. my mom did the same. :)

Rebecca said...

Well ya learn something new everyday.

Cranberry Morning said...

Good tip! and my, you have beautiful nails! My thumbnails look really ratty. I think it's from watching too many mysteries.

Madi and Mom said...

That is so funny Mad Snapper...mom said she learned that trick as a wee one. Mom knew no one smoked but could never understand all the matches then she asked. Her BFFF had a dog named Jeff, Jeff gobbled his food and was plagued with lots of scents afterwards.
Too funny lots of memories came to surface with this post.
Hugs Madi and Mom

Madi and Mom said...

PS love your header

George said...

You are smart. Thanks for the tip.

Cheryl @ TFD said...

Great tip! I had read about this once and then forgot it, thanks for the reminder.

RoeH said...

Oh my gosh....Air Wick. I remember seeing Air Wick in the window sills in the farm house in Rigby, Idaho and the green thingy sticking up out of the top. I don't remember ever thinking that it smelled that great. Didn't even know it was still around.

Farida said...

My grandmother does taught this to us too :) In our province long ago, when exhaust fans were not yet created, she would ask us to burn matches after we use the toilet, hihihi.

Have a great week :)

Maple Lane said...

A great tip - THX!

Catherine said...

As someone who is allergic to chemicals and scented products, I use a natural air freshener of lemon juice in water in a spray bottle. Or baking cookies works too... ;)
xo Catherine

Kim @ Stuff could... said...

I knew this about matches but had forgotten it...they may have a better smell too

Andrew said...

A wonderful post... I am not keen on smellys around the house and don't have any pets so hopefully nothing to hide other than my cooking... lol.

photowannabe said...

Mother in Law always had a matchbox in the littlest room in the house.
It definitely works.
I often use them myself.
Its a lot cheaper that sprays.

EG CameraGirl said...

OOPS! Busted by Bob! I like that burning match trick. :)

S. Etole said...

It's been awhile since I heard the burning match trick. I'm allergic to most scents, too.

Betty Manousos said...

i go green!
great tip about the matches.
thank you for always putting a smile on my face.

love ya!

SweetMarie said...

I like your flame picks. My Grandma always used the matches in the bathroom. :)

Rose said...

I LOVE the smell of matches...Roger always used to get irritated at me for sitting and playing with them. I have been a firebug from way back...

I had to tell all that cause I know you are really, really interested in what I think...haha

anyway, I do love your photos..never thought about trying to light a match and take a photo of it. We need to make us bucket lists of things we want to photograph....that would be on mine.

Ann said...

I used to buy the air fresheners all the time, now I stick with candles or the wax tarts. Guess I should go buy a box of matches for the bathroom though....lol

Miss Debbie said...

Yep, I already knew that trick. It is amazing how well it works!

Deb said...

oh my gosh we are long lost cousins...those are my two sents too...others will give me a headache...yep my Mom told me about the matches...it really does work...

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

I guess sometimes the old fashioned remedies work as well or better than all the new stuff. I do like scented candles and also air fresheners.

diane b said...

That sounds like a good old fashioned remedy at half the cost.

Snapper II said...

I have to be careful with scents too. Pat and I are
both sensitive. I have two Febreeze candles. I think
they are Clean Linen or something like that.
They smell good without even lighting them. If I want more,
I light them. I have been using matches since I was a kid.
Works better than any of the expensive things we buy.
Love u, Madeline

Heidrun Khokhar, KleinsteMotte said...

Both the apple cinnamon and vanilla are liked here but the smell of lit matches sends alams waves in Buddy and myself. Fire tends to be linked to memories. We've had some we are not yet over.

Angela said...

Some nights I have to spray the cinnamon apple spray in my bedroom to get rid of the cooking smells that always end up in there. The cooking smells are fine when you are cooking it but not when you are trying to sleep. I can not cook anything over night because the smells get to me! lol

Here's my tip to get rid of a skunk smell that you might get when you are driving down the road. Push in the button in your car that is the cigarette lighter. When it pops out pull it out and wave it around in the car. For stubborn skunk smells repeat the process until it gone! lol Since we don't smoke I call that button the skunk button. That's all I ever use it for.