Saturday, October 21, 2017

New Neighbors and Good Things from Irma



New Neighbors 
2 days before Irma came, we watched our new nieghbors board up their home, put out sandbags. Hmmmm we thought, what is up with that?

This is there fence between us After Irma.They have 2 dogs, and we were out at daybreak, I walked next door to advise they have no fence.

She comes out to talk and I find out they moved here from New Orleans, thus the preparations. Her name is Sarah, his is Dennis and they have 2 small girls. We became instant friends, and now if we need help in the future, he said any time we can call on him. He offered to help Bob when he replaces the 2 sections we lost in our fence and donates a piece of fencing he did not need.

1. New Friends made, after Irma... and we found future help from both neighbors if we ever need it,

2.I had no weight gain after 2 weeks of stress, the sinus crud we both had for 10 days, was over before Irma. Plus Bob's ER trip with his arm was 4 days before Irma, not during it.

3. We did not lose power. or AC. (slight upset over 8 days without internet/tv/phone)

4. woke me up at midnight on day 3 of cleanup and put the thought of our  85 and 81 year old neighbors across the street  on my mind. I said when we woke up, I  need to go check on them, they have been in the house without power for several days.
I knocked on the door and he came to the door and said Please can you call 911, my wife fell, she is incoherent.. I called and waited for EMS to transport. the story is to  long  But I list this as a good thing. They needed help, I gave it.

no damage to house

This tree did no damage to our home... and we met my neighbors son and grandson that had come to stay with Barbara. The also offered help when/if we need it.

GOOD BYE IRMA! I am done with reporting on her. this has been in drafts for 6 weeks. OOPS

19 comments:

Ann said...

That's a lot of good that you found. Just having Irma visit was bad enough you needed a little good in there

Hootin Anni said...

New neighbors, a helping hand....nasty tree even with no damage to the roof...

All's fair tho...hope that your senior neighbor is doing all right by now tho. That's always scary.

From the Kitchen said...

Good neighbors are a rare gift.

Best,
Bonnie

My Mind's Eye said...

So MS you have proven that fences do make good neighbors..you just have to look over/past them and there they are.
What a traumatic 6 weeks you have had we are so thankful all is over and in just a few more weeks hurrycane season 2017 will be history.
Hugs Madi and mom

eileeninmd said...

Hello, it is wonderful to have good neighbors. Sounds like your new neighbors will be great. It seems a terrible storm like Irma brings out the good people around you. That is awesome. Have a happy day!

Jo said...

Is it six weeks since Irma?? You are such a good neighbor. I would love you to live next door to me. We would talk and take photos all day!

Gayle said...

We have been blessed with good neighbors coming and going the entire 40 years we have lived here and really appreciate the 'younger' ones who are there if we need them. Lots of give and take all around.
Good idea to kick Irma to the curb and move on. Store those memories in the 'no fishing' file.

Karen said...

Sometimes, in hindsight, I can see the blessings in the midst of the storm.

Chatty Crone said...

Sandra and I mean this - I think it is wonderful in spite of all the horrible damage Irma did - you still see the good around you. That is awesome. sandie

Ginny Hartzler said...

Many good things out of something bad. And it is always good to know there is someone if you need help! The tree picture is amazing, and I like seeing your dividing fence.

Mevely317 said...

So many blessings! How intuitive you were, waking and wondering about your elderly neighbors' welfare ... and ACTING on it.

Your accounting reminds me of a conversation I once had with J.A. Jance (author) at one of her book signings: I admitted going back and reading all her blog posts and said something like, "It's like reading an autobiography." She paused and smiled real big and said, "Yes, I suppose it is my autobiography."

photowannabe said...

I like when Life hands you lemons you make lemonade...
Its great to have neighbors that care and are there for you.
We are fortunate to have the same around us.
I'm forever grateful.
Thankfulness for Irma is what keeps you going.
Glad on the weight situation too.
Sinus crud is my nemisis.

DawnTreader said...

I'm glad to hear that you have good neighbours, and that you were also able to be a good neighbour to others yourself, in the midst of all the chaos. Sometimes it is strange things that bring people together and give us new friends - and we don't always see it until later. I'm also glad that the storm and that tree did not seriously damage your house, and that you and Bob came out of the adventure "okay".

Linda said...

Excuse me, did you say......." (slight upset over 8 days without internet/tv/phone)?????"
More like a meltdown!! HAHAHAHA!! Louis Dean has teased me for years for figuring out how to get online! Once we were in Galveston and I wanted to check on my 'social media accounts.' This was before laptops and hot spots were a part of my life. I simply went to the fancy hotels and used the computers in their complimentary business office. Of course, scavaging Internet was easier then since there had been no hurricane!
Where there is a will - there is a way!

Suburban Girl said...

Great to hear you made new friends!

Ruth Hiebert said...

It is interesting to hear how that even a destructive storm can have some good endings.

Lois said...

Always good to see the silver lining in something so awful.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I agree with Lois on the silver lining. So awesome that you went across the street to the older couples house. Glad your new neighbors are nice too!

The Adventures of the LLB Gang said...

It's nice to see some positive came out of so much negative!