Saturday, December 20, 2014

The Man Who Wore The Scarlet Purple Robe






My roots are in Southern Gospel and I had not heard this before. I heard it on Bluegrass PBS on the radio as I drove to Wal-Mart Saturday morning. 

Words Below

The Man Who Wore The scarlet Purple Robe by Ralph Stanley

There's a story so unkind in the Holy book we find
And it tells how Jesus stood alone one day
False accused and there condemned yet they found no fault with Him
The man who wore the scarlet purple robe

   Purple robe my Savior wore oh the shame for me he bore
   As He stood alone, forsaken on that day
   And they placed upon His head piercing thorns and blood stained red
   His raiment was a scarlet purple robe

In the common judgment hall he was mocked and scorned by all
And a tear of sorrow fell upon His cheek
Soldiers of the wicked man smote Him with their evil hand
The Man who wore the scarlet purple robe

Words of truth that day were plain from the lips of Pilot came
In this man I find no reason He should die
But the multitudes replied let Him now be crucified
The man who wore the scarlet purple robe

Oh the River Of Jordan is many miles away
And this mighty river I may never see
But I'll find myself an alter in an old fashioned church

19 comments:

My Mind's Eye said...

Sandra what a beautiful song. I've never heard it until today. thank you so much for sharing
Hugs Cecilia

Jo said...

Sandra, it's new to me too. Thanks for sharing this beautiful gospel song.

eileeninmd said...

Beautiful song, Sandra! Thanks for sharing. Have a happy weekend!

TexWisGirl said...

loved the tune. reminded me of the movie 'o brother where art thou'. love that soundtrack. :)

Unknown said...

Going to lesten to it now. Have a super Saturday.
Best wishes Molly

Ruth Hiebert said...

Thanks for sharing this. At Christmas we put so much emphasis on th eBaby Jesus and tend to forget that He came to die for us.

DeniseinVA said...

What a beautiful song Sandra. I enjoy Bluegrass also. I found myself singing along.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing this as I had not heard it before either. I also love your colorful graphic art.

Ginny Hartzler said...

I like the words. But WOW, my very favorite is your glorious purple creation. I love everything about it! The angel with the trumpet, the balls, and the purple draped cross. PLUS the music coming out of the trumpet!! You can SEE her playing. One of your very best creations!

Ann Thompson said...

I've never heard that before

jp@A Green Ridge said...

I never heard this song either...but the words are awesome!!!

Angela said...

That was beautiful Sandra! I don't recall hearing this song either. I do know that my Granny did love to hear Ralph Stanley sing.

EG CameraGirl said...

Thanks for sharing, Sandra. It's very different from any gospel music I've ever herd before.

Susannah said...

Seems like I have heard the tune before but no matter what....the words are so touching and I loved them. Thank you for sharing, Sandra.

Deb said...

I love it!!

diane b said...

You would have loved our trip to Nashville and Memphis and New Orleans

Michaele said...

Those are some heavy lyrics! Very heartfelt. I read you latest post and cannot imagine the pain and worry you all have been through.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Thank you for the video. I've never heard it and it was nice reading the words as they sang!

Anonymous said...

I want to sing this song I am looking for performance tape or video