Saturday, February 21, 2015

Fear of the Dark..


I have been afraid of the dark as far back as I can remember, about age 4 or 5.. No reason that I know of, just afraid of the dark and what might be in it. Friday morning, I went to Whisper Sweetly of Cottages and found this Post, Night Frights and found a sister in fright.... Mona's story is my story, if you have five minutes, pop over and read it.

Yes, I know this and the odd thing is, I love a dark night with stars but ONLY IF SOMEONE IS WITH ME... so what is up with that?

I check the back seat before I get in if it is dark.

I will not swim in the pool in the dark UNLESS Bob stands out there with me.
But with lights on  I can SEE whatever it is.


I typed Fear of the Dark in Google and up popped this song by Iron Maiden whom I have never heard of and after listening to the song know why... but the words are just like my life and Mona's.


Then I typed fear of the dark in Google IMAGES and OH MY look at these images of fear..HERE

Lyrics for Fear Of The Dark By Iron Maiden
I am a man who walks alone
And when I'm walking a dark road
At night or strolling through the park
When the light begins to change
I sometimes feel a little strange
A little anxious when it's dark.
Fear of the dark, fear of the dark
I have constant fear thas something's always near
Fear of the dark, fear of the dark
I have a phobia that someone's always there
Have you run your fingers down the wall
And have you felt your neck skin crawl
When you're searching for the light?
Sometimes when you're scared to take a look
At the corner of the room
You've sensed that something's watching you.
Have you ever been alone at night
Throuh your heard footsteps behind
And turned around and no-one's there?
And as you quicken up your pace
You find it hard to look again
Because you're sure there's someone there
Watching horror films the night before
Debating witches and folklore
The unknown troubles on your mind
Maybe your mind is playing tricks
You sense, and suddenly eyes fix
On dancing shadows from behind.
Fear of the dark, fear of the dark
I have a constant fear that something's always near
Fear of the dark, fear of the dark
I have a phobia that someone's always there.
When I'm walking a dark road
I am a man who walks alone
Songwriters: HARRIS, STEPHEN PERCY
© Universal Music Publishing Group
For non-commercial use only.
Data From: LyricFind

YOUTUBE LINK TO IRON MAIDEN Fear of the Dark HERE

26 comments:

diane b said...

I can understand your fear even though I'm not afraid in the dark. Amazing what you can find on google. I nice place to red your kindle. I'm old fashioned and still like books.

Unknown said...

We are not afraid of the dark but it must be horrid for those that are. Going to check out the song now. Have a super Saturday.
Best wishes Molly

From the Kitchen said...

I turn on lights when I enter the house and have lights on all over the place until I go go bed. Then I want complete darkness. I even turn the alarm clock over so as not to see it's light.

Best,
Bonnie

Deb said...

I hear ya! Looking in the back seat is always good idea! Good lyrics!

eileeninmd said...

My sister was the one afraid of the dark..I like to stand on my deck in the dark and look at the moon and stars.. Your eyes adjust to the darkness. One thing I do now is to look in the backseat even in the daylight..I guess I've seen too many creepy movies..Have a happy weekend!

Betty Manousos said...

i too am afraid of the dark...what i do is i sing when i'm in a dark place or walking through a dark place, i sing happy/joyful songs; it helps for me.

happy weekend~

Cheryl @ TFD said...

I'm not nearly as afraid as I used to be, but for many, many years after around the age of 6 or so, I couldn't sleep at night without a light on. I also saw Mona's post and it gave me chills what had happened to her. Mine wasn't nearly as bad, but just as frightening just the same. My brother had crawled under my bed when I was 6 and started pushing up on the mattress. I was scared out of my wits. Needless to say, my mother hauled his little butt outta there and gave him a good talking to but the damage was done and long lasting to me as far as ever feeling safe in the dark!

TexWisGirl said...

i do not need to adopt your fear of the dark as i spend far to much time here alone and out in it with the dogs. :)

i don't do scary movies, either.

Michaele said...

I grew up extremely afraid of the dark. But I have had to go out in the dark so many times over the years at the acreages I have lived on that I simply had to get over it. Now I am even braver than the dogs are. Your images produced in your search have me rethinking everything. Lol

Gail said...

As a child I couldn't decide if running fast made me scared or if being scared made me run.

Gail said...

As a child I couldn't decide if running fast made me scared or if being scared made me run.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Well now I just might start to be afraid in the dark!!! I definitely am afraid of the dark outside, it is way too creepy and I could never do one of those backpacking trips through the forest.

DawnTreader said...

I'm not afraid of the dark as such, in a safe environment (like at home). I don't like to be out and about on my own at night, though. And I've never wanted to live alone on the ground floor... So my flats where I've lived alone have always been one or two floors up.

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

Umm, I'm the queen of nightlights, so that's all I'm gonna say about that. LOL!!

Ann said...

I remember being afraid of the dark for a while when I was little but eventually outgrew it. I'm no longer afraid of it but I still prefer the light

Marie said...

Iron Maiden? I was never a fan. I didn't look at the images because I didn't want them stuck in my head. I don't do scary movies for the same reason. I was scared of the dark when I was a little girl. I'm okay now, but I still prefer daytime, sunshine...light :)

My Mind's Eye said...

Well MS...as the quote goes things go bump in the night and when they go bump in the night I too get a lump in my throat wondering what went bump.

Our first cat had a horrible habit of all of sudden jumping up from a dead sleep and staring at the foyer...scared the pp out of me. then he would go back to sleep
hugs cecilia

Dee said...

Poor Mona..just reading the story scared me. I am not afraid of the dark but I have my own fears/phobias. You are a creative person with active thoughts so it may be you have an overactive imagination that creates fear. I think Mona's fear is from trauma.

Ginny Hartzler said...

I have many fears, but not of the dark. Who knows why? Did you sleep all by yourself as a child? That may have something to do with it. I was almost never alone when I went to bed. I bet you have more then one night light! I do, but not from fear, it is to keep me from falling. I am heading to your friend's blog now to check it out!

Rose said...

I chose not to look at the images of 'fear of the dark'--I don't want to become afraid of the dark. I hate that you have that to deal with, and would love to know why. Actually, I think we all have things we fear though.

and looking in the back seat is definitely a good thing this day and age.

Ginny Hartzler said...

I am just back from reading her story and commenting. Oh My GOSH!! I had thought she was dreaming. The hair stood up on the back of my neck and I was finally crying. It beats Alfred Hitchcock, for sure.

DeniseinVA said...

Well, I have couple of phobias myself though fear of the dark is not one of them. In fact Gregg calls me mole woman because I like to sit and watch TV in the dark. I am afraid of swimming in the ocean.

EG CameraGirl said...

Oh, I look into the back seat too. I remember a clip from a TV show I saw when I was a kid (I think it was a Rod Sterling creation) where a woman was strangled by someone in the back seat. I've never quite gotten over that!

EG CameraGirl said...

Tee hee. I just checked to see if my memory was correct. The Twilight Zone was Rod SERLING's creation, not Sterling. But hey! I was a kid and that was a long time ago. ;)

Anonymous said...

I was never a fan of their music, either, so thanks for sharing lyrics I knew not of.

SquirrelQueen said...

That is a really scary story, real threats are more frightening than dreams. I can see why Mona doesn't like the dark.

A quote from a movie I saw recently, "It's not the dark that I'm afraid of, it's what's in the dark."

Not one of Iron Maiden's best numbers.