Monday, August 20, 2018

Raccoon Sighting August 18, 2018



These Photos are from a PRIOR POST about raccoons making babies in our yard
on May 6, 2014 

We did have a sighting of Racoon Foot Prints in Feb of this year, beside the pool.
And I have heard rustling noises on the other side of the fence. 
And The Male of our species always POOH POOH's my fears and says we have not seen them in years, they are Gone....HA!

Each morning I take Jake out when we wake up, I flip on the flood lights to scare off critters before I turn it off and take him outside. Lights OFF because who wants to see me in my gown?

 Bob just goes in the dark, but I am hot on Jakes heels with a flash light. While guarding the dog, I pick up his deposits.

 I do this because on Saturday, Sept. 3rd 2016, Jake had a terrible fight with a pregnant female. There is not prior post on it because the details were gruesome. 

Today I picked up the flashlight at 4 am and for some dumb reason, let our blind and deaf dog out, he went to the left, I started to follow. I heard PLOP! splash and ripples. Turning the flashlight to the ripples I saw a half grown raccoon swimming like crazy.
I went into panic mode. Jake is in no condition to fight. I could not call him, we use hand signals, I race to him as he is about to potty and grabbing by the collar drag him to the door, he has his breaks on because What the heck Mama, I am not done yet. Racing down the hall I tap the deaf husband on the hip, using sign language something is in the pool.
He has no idea what I am saying but comes with me to the pool.
It is GONE! thank you Lord, But then I could hardly breathe while Jake Finished what he had started because I just KNEW it would come back.



I asked Google Search if they can swim, and found that they are excellent swimmers and can swim for hours if needed. It said they are reluctant to swim because they don't like to get wet. I think we startle him/her as he/she washed the food. The food being the reason we have no nightblooming flowers... I have shown Bob the left overs of the big buds on the ground, I said something is sitting in the swing and eating all the buds, and showed him five crunched and bitten bottoms.

Now we know!!!!  A word to anyone who puts food out for these wild animals, they can carry rabies, they get distemper and they are MEAN with dogs.... Please don't feed wild animals, even if you don't care, they might hurt someone else pet.







20 comments:

Linda said...

Racoons are not to be messed with! One time I went to a liquor store across the Trinity River - I know.....but I needed some whiskey to make Louis Dean a hot toddy. It was in the late winter and there was a whole mess of racoons gathered at the side of the building. The lady who worked there fed them and they were her pets - of a sort. That was all well and good since there was plenty of woods and vacant land not to mention the river running right behind the place. I personally don't mess with racoons. Although I did read Rascal by Sterling North and it is one of my favorite books and I'm planning on reading it next summer to the quads. Still......it's best to give racoons a wide berth!
Glad Jake didn't tangle with one......

Ann said...

They're cute but I've heard they can get quite vicious. Plus they are a pest with the mess they can make. In the one place, I lived after I was first married there were a lot of them around and they would get in the garbage all the time. We put the garbage in the shed and they figured out how to open the doors to get to it.

eileeninmd said...

Hello, I am glad you were able to get Jake back in the house. I do not like raccoons. I put my bird seed and feeders away each night so the raccoons can not eat it. They are mean critters!

My Mind's Eye said...

Oh my word that was enough excitement for the entire week.
I 100% agree about leaving food out. I used to work with 2 professors. The wife left bowls of cat food out for raccoons. She thought they were cute she was not from the USofA. I tried to tell the consequences...
Thank goodness Jake and you are ok.
Hugs Madi and mom

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

We sure don't encourage wild animals here...they really can be dangerous and annoying too. We have a way to close off our bird feeders at night and that has helped discourage even the squirrels. It's wild out here in Florida! I may have a post about that soon after a 'wild encounter' I had yesterday that scared me. Enjoy your day! Stay cool!

Ginny Hartzler said...

Wow! Your heart must have been RACING! What images I have in my head now! Maybe the raccoon jumped in when he saw you and Jake? What a close call, all your guarding really paid off. Your last picture is gorgeous!!! Totally beautiful. Maybe he will not be gone till he has eaten all the nightbloomers...

Chatty Crone said...

Oh my gosh you story scared me to death. Glad all are safe. Keep those garbage cans lids on tight too!

Mevely317 said...

What a frightening experience, Sandra! (Poor Jake's poopus-interruptus!)

In all seriousness, I needed to read this and stop believing the raccoons are "so cute." That photo on top, she looks positively sinister. Probably contemplating how you'd taste. So glad you're all OK!

Karen said...

We had serious problems with raccoons a few years ago. They can really cause damage to a home, too. We got a large cage and trapped some and animal control came and got them.

photowannabe said...

We used to have raccoons when we lived in Pacifica, CA. They were pests and tried to get into everything. Our neighbor had animal control come to remove some from their place.
Glad you could protect your sweet fur baby.

Hootin Anni said...

We here have opposum [or opossum...how do you spell it?] Anyway I used to throw landscape pebbles at 'em to get them off our fence, until I found out they eat cockroaches. In Texas, cockroaches are big enough to walk on leashes!! I'd rather have an over-grown rat (just 'cause I can't spell 'possum) every now & then.

The Adventures of the LLB Gang said...

We hear you...we have way too much wildlife here at our new place, and have begun putting the garbage cans in the garage to discourage midnight bear, raccoon and other animals...

diane b said...

Uh Oh that sounds scary going out in the dark with those critters around. Poor Jake. Can you spray the buds to deter them, We try chilli sauce diluted and spray on plants to stop the wallabies eating them. Take care.

Inger said...

I told you about Bandit's stand off with a racoon in Los Angeles. We had a fish pond there, just a small one. It didn't last long because the racoons showed up and ate up all the fish. Sometimes you would see them walking down the sidewalks at night, upright even. Just like some little people. In the second largest city in the US. I've never seen one here, but they can be found in our town from what I understand.

Back to your encounter. I can so understand your terror. I would have completely lost it. So great you could get to Jake in time. I hope they will stay away from your yard. That's just added stress you don't need.

Ruth Hiebert said...

I do hope that Coon,decides to leave our area.

DeniseinVA said...

That is quite a story. Since I put out bird feed we have had them back. I also don’t want any of our local pets having to contend with raccoons so won’t be filling the bird feeder until they go into hibernation. They never come round in the cold months so I am assuming that is what they do. Good on you for being a Mama Protector to Jake.

DeniseinVA said...

Just read Eileen’s comment. I will do that.

Just Mags said...

I am glad this all turned out well and sweet Jake nor you were harmed. Those critters have such cute faces but we should not be fooled by them. They can be vicious and cause harm and damage, especially the females if they are expecting or have babies. Hugs and give Jake nose kisses

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Oh no! I'm glad you got Jake in the house and that it was gone. However I am just like you when it comes to Skye. That is why at night/dark she is on a leash so we have control of her.

Heidrun Khokhar, KleinsteMotte said...

Oh no! They also eat their way into attics and cause much destruction. We have some near by and these days our cat no longer goes out much. She is old and fears them.