Monday, April 22, 2019

My Past with Chickens

Chicken from my archives.. Red Barn Flea Market
In 1970, My son David was 5, Daniel was 3. My Dad came by the house an Picked them up to go to the Feed Store with him, to shop for seeds and plants for his summer garden.

I gladly sadly said OK, they can go, but what will I do HOME ALONE?   It was a short hour and they returned home.
Daddy said Do you have a box?   
WHAT? for what?  My sons came in the door, each with a tiny yellow biddy in their hands.  
 DADDY! what were you THINKING? I screamed. 
His answer was Well They Wanted them...……. arrrhhhhhhhh
The biddies went in the box and grew and grew and grew, who new baby chicks could get so big so fast and turn into BIG CHICKENS?
What to do! We lived in the CITY? I did not WANT the chickens. I had an AHA! moment.

My aunt had a maid named Miss Katy, I had known her my whole life. She raised chickens to feed her family. She had Three Very Large Chicken Coops with lots of chickens. I asked her if we could donate our Chickens and of course she said yes.

I may have been guilty of a small white lie. I said to the Boys. These chickens need Friends, they need a big COOP to live in with OTHER chickens to play with. They are lonely in our back yard. And unless they are reading this post, they probably at age 52 and 54 still believe that story.
In Savannah GA, we called baby chicks, biddies. what do you call them? Hubby calls them peeps. My friends in KY called them diddles...





15 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

What a story! I never heard these names for them. We always called them Peeps. Your dad sounds like he was a wonderful grandfather! I really like the hen and eggs. For $10.00, I would have bought it! I have been buying some at thrift shops lately, I like the way they look in the kitchen. I just bought a small one at a thrift shop for $2.00.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari om
Chicks, just chicks. YAM xx

Ann said...

I've always just called them chicks. Chickens in the city would be a bit of a challenge.

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

Love the story and memories. I saw some chicks yesterday, my son's future in-laws have a chicken coop and they had some cute chicks. Enjoy your day, have a great new week ahead!

My Mind's Eye said...

I support you little white lie...funny thing is now Chickens are the rage here and there is even a Tour de Coup, I think every may.

Crazy I know.
Hugs Cecilia

photowannabe said...


I call them chicks...never were really around any but at our other house the people across the street had some chickens...which seemed to like our yard more than theirs.
Only problem as they grew there were more roosters than hens and I am not FOND of morning wake up calls at 3 or 4 AM in my yard ...on my fence...
The lady got bored with her "chickens" and at last they were gone...so sad...NOT....

Rose said...

We are boring...w just call them chicks. A few years ago Lorelei begged and begged for us to get her a chick!

Mevely317 said...

TOO funny! This is darn reminiscent of the time my daddy brought me two baby ducklings. (Awwwww….) Jack and Jill lived (and ate, and quacked and pooped) in a big box in the dining room of my parents 1,000 sq. ft. apartment ….. until one day I went away to summer camp. Shortly before coming home I got a letter that sounded a lot like what you told your boys.

PS - I've never called baby chickens anything but chicks.

Hootin Anni said...

Personally I'd call them messy!!

Ruth Hiebert said...

I've never known baby chickens as anything other than chicks. I am sure your sons will understand the situation by now.

The Adventures of the LLB Gang said...

We also call them chicks...and I'd rather have the hen you have than raise chickens :-)

Saimi said...

I call baby chickens, chicks. I love this story it's kinda similar to one when my youngest son received a lizard for his birthday party.
Yikes, maybe I'll post that some day. Chickens belong in a a nice large coop as they have a tendency to poop on EVERYTHING haha but I do love some farm fresh eggs. I could never eat anything I raise, actually if I think too hard about how animals are raised for consumption, I'd become a vegetarian. I think if your sons knew the actual story, they would get a kick out of it!.
Have a nice week!!
Saimi

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Never knew that baby chicks were called "biddies" and now I do know, Sandra. That was a clever story you told your sons. And to me, pepps, are the yellow marshmallow ones eaten at Easter.

Cranberry Morning said...

Well I believe it! I call them chicks or chicklets. And who can resist them. They are so cute! And yes they grow incredibly fast.

DeniseinVA said...

That's a cute story. I would love to have a few chickens but no way that would be possible in this built up neighborhood. I need that house in the country :) The nicknames for chickens are cute too but I only ever knew them as 'chickens' growing up.