Sunday, June 16, 2019

My Fathers Daughter..



I am my Fathers Daughter... we were 2 peas in a pod, but it took me until after his death to realize it.
Habitual to a fault, resist all change, there is right and wrong, forget the gray. Stubborn, muleheaded, I am Right. Purchase only needs, forget the wants. there is more but this post says a lot about it.

Today I am doing a repost from 2010. Only two of you have seen this post, Ann and Ginny, you might remember this.
Happy Fathers Day Daddy, I AM your daughter, and I know you knew it.

today's PHUN is intended to prove that my fears aforementioned (is that a word) in other posts, are INHERITED and NOT my fault.

My dad always feared someone breaking in the house, since we were dirt poor, he made his own Alarms,   His most famous was as follows:

Place 2 cookie sheets on top of fridge, put several pie tins and assorted lids on the cookie sheets. Tie a string to the bottom cookie sheet and from there to the door knob of the door into the kitchen. Once when we visited I opened the door for testing purposes and the noise was incredible.

My Uncle Jack came over to visit. He decided to leave through the kitchen door. Daddy had NOT deactivated the alarm for the day. As Uncle Jack jerked the door open, daddy was screaming NO JACK! don't open.... well you know what came next. we all nearly expired from laughter when all the pans came down on Uncle Jacks shoulders and head and we were all screaming with laughter.

At age 40 I lived alone in a townhouse.  Upstairs And Downstairs with bedroom UP. My fear was someone would come in the back or front door, or step through one of the floor to ceiling windows, or climb in the window over the sink DOWNSTAIRS and I would not hear them.

Being my fathers daughter, I took glass bottles and lined them up under all the windows under the curtains, and then at night the last thing I did was put several glass bottles in front of each door.

(any one having flashbacks of Conspiracy theory starring Mel Gibson?)
guess where I learned the bottle trick? Dear Daddy, I was shocked Mel knew about it.

When I realized Daddy and I shared the same FEARS of just about everything, I googled Genetics and Fear

AND FOUND VINDICATION....

Traditionally, fear has been thought of as a learned response.  The process is known as conditioning.

"Now we can say that the fear conditioning process in humans is controlled, at least to some extent, by genetic factors," he said.
 Between one-third and one-half of the fear conditioning process appears to be inherited, he added.  I found this on  ABC science

I rest my case.......

19 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

I guess we all inherit the good and bad. As far as the alarms go, do whatever makes you feel safe. I miss having a dog they were my alarms.

Great Father's Day post. Happy Sunday!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

How interesting! I've given a lot of thought to this too! Love your stories about the alarms! Great post!

My Mind's Eye said...

What a handsome Dad with a most beautiful Daughter. You have his smile!!

I'm fearful of a break in too...mainly because as a child we had a man break into my Annie Ma's house. Daddy was on a fishing trip it was just we 3 gals.
All 5' of Annie Ma beat the living daylights out of him with a old fashion broom when she saw his hands in her pocketbook, which was scared . He ran out of the house bleeding, was found under the pecan tree and he had a hand gun!!

Loved your stories
Yes it was coach..not couch thank you.
I've been on the phone with Geek Squad getting them to clean up system and Pandora was not working. That on line service is Worth every penny.
Up and running
Hugs C

Ruth Hiebert said...

Thanks for sharing this. Fascinating to read and learn about your Dad and you.

Mevely317 said...

I love this so much … brilliant hacks! Your uncle Jack getting caught in the trap is "pee oneself" funny. (Well, maybe not for Jack.)

Because Dan looks so much like you and his granddad, does he share any of these traits?

Ginny Hartzler said...

WOW, I had no IDEA that any part of fear could be inherited!! This is HUGE to me. And you and your Dad prove it. I don't remember any of this story about the glasses and pie pans. You sure do look like your dad...face shape, eyes, nose. He was SO handsome! What a perfect Father's Day post. The only thing I do remember about it is how your dad looked.

Chatty Crone said...

Interesting read Sandra - I think we take the good and the bad from our parents - don't you think? Happy Father's Day to Bob! sandie

Rose said...

Oh, this is funny! And interesting...and a great way to make your own alarms....I am wondering will I ever come to this. I have had a couple moments of absolute fear....just really really strange and impossible to explain..it was not like I was just generally afraid...it was just a moment of total fear. Cause as a general rule, I have the attitude of that shirt I told you about...the one that says As I walk through the valley I will fear no evil....I won't say the rest on here.

Anni said...

You can tell you two are related. Sweet!! I used to have,a fear of bridges, but I can't now think of anyone else (relation) had that fear. LOVE the alarm!

Mel Gibson?!

DeniseinVA said...

Your Daddy sure was inventive and I too love the alarms. Loved the stories.

Pam said...

Not sure where my fear of SPIDERS came from but my fear of water was from my mom. It has to come through the bloodline cause other then knowing mom did not like water, it was not talked about. So how would I aquire a fear. HAHA...interesting about the cookie sheets. I love it!

Anni said...

☺ (you're welcome)

Inger said...

You look like your dad too, don't you? In addition to inheriting fear from him, he must also have conditioned you. I have never been afraid of burglars in the night, just of heights and traveling in small airplanes, something I will never do again. I now keep the windows open in the living room, for Samson to keep cool. I thought about a bear coming through, but not a burglar. Then I wonder how I would feel living here alone if I didn't have the dogs. Probably not scared, but also not half as comfortable as they make me. Oh, this turned into an email instead of a comment, but fear is a serious thing.

Ann said...

I didn't realize that fear was inherited. Interesting. I can't recall either of my parents being afraid of anything.
You sure do look a lot like your dad

peppylady (Dora) said...

I been told I have a lot of my fathers feature and my mothers spirit.
Coffee is on

Linda said...

I think I would have loved your daddy because I know I love you!!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Very interesting post. I love the alarms you and your dad set up!

Betty Manousos said...

what a handsome dad! and what a beautiful daughter! loved this post. thanks so much for sharing this. so great to read and learn about your dad and you.

have a wonderful week ahead! xoxo

Just Mags said...

No doubt you are your father's daughter, you look just like him. What clever ideas for alarms. I could just hear all those pans crashing as I read. Hugs