Monday, July 1, 2019

Movin on UP


I have this new stool and am movin on up.
It seems with senior height shrinkage, I can never reach a cup.

In the past, to remove a Valance ,I reached way up in the air
these days I stand on tip toes and feel utter despair.

Not fair! Not Fair! I can't reach up there,
and if I call Bob, he acts like a bear
even though his height even with shrinking, still allows him  to reach there.

While watching the Tech doing the Carotid Ultra Sound, I realized there was a stool like this one sitting in the corner. I stood up and easily stepped up on it. The next week I said to the surgeon, I want that laptop desk you are using. She said they aren't expensive, I ordered it from Amazon.
Really? I said What about the step stool? Yes, got it there to.
I came home and now I have my own stool. Which means I can now reach to top of the fridge to clean it and can no longer ask The Bear to do it for me. I can take down my own curtains and rehang them and most of all I can clean the NOOK MIRROR without fear of falling to my death.
I was 48 and spry and 2 inches taller when I paid someone to put in that mirror.
I might have 87 million posts about the NOOK if you need to know.

PS UPDATE: I set this post on auto post 3 days ago and Saturday AM I stood on my stool and when I saw the TOP OF THE FRIDGE I nearly screamed. Greasy dirt. I had to use Murphy's soap, and I am sure that is why MURPHY visited and I STILL COULD NOT REACH the back 6 inches or the cabinet over it.
I called Bobby Bear and he did not act like a bear and used his 5 inches taller than me height and arms length that is 5 inches longer to clean it for me. HE LOVED THE STOOL. I told him it is all his and he can use it anywhere in the house I CAN"T REACH

19 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

You have no idea how much I am laughing and how tickled I am! You just have a way of writing things...I love the stool, so glad you got it. We are a pair. With my knee, I could never step up on it; too high. I have a tiny stool, 3 inches! Of course it is not much good for almost anything, but it gets me up into the house. I also have a little foldable stool behind the bathroom door that I put each foot up on to dry them after showers. I have shrunk 4'. Cannot reach anything that I used to. This does look like the stool in doctor's offices. Now I want to see your laptop desk. I have gone through several, and have my favorite now. $11.00 at Hobby Lobby, and pretty.

Linda said...

You are so funny!!! Bobby Bear!!
I have stools all over the place! I still have a small wooden stool that Amber and Benjamin used in teh bathroom when they were little. They are 34 and 31 now. Plus I have a step ladder I keep in the pantry and a red two step wooden stool in the kitchen. I can't reach much at all anymore.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
I have a two-step ladder in my kitchen - that's how short I am. Started out that way and it never changed! YAM xx

Ann said...

That's a cool stool. I could use one myself. I have to stand on tip toe to reach the chain on my ceiling fan. The one for the light is long but the one for the fan is short and I can barely reach it with my right hand. Why you say with my right hand? Because if I try with my left I can't reach it at all. Because of my scoliosis my left side won't reach up as high as my right.
I hope you show your laptop desk.

eileeninmd said...

Hello, I would love that stool too. What a great purchase.
Bobby Bear is a cute nickname. Happy July, have a great day and new week!

Rose said...

I do like that stool. But I would need higher..even on it I would not be able to see top of fridge.

Anni said...

We bought a step ladder similar to yours, and it's one of the best investments we've done.

Chatty Crone said...

Whose artery is being checked? So how tall are you I imagine you to be about 5'8" for some reason. I am SHORT.

My Mind's Eye said...

That is a nice and safe stool.
I love Murphy Oil.
Hugs c
check email

photowannabe said...

I am so Vertically Challenged that I need a stool for everything.
Whoever built this house was very tall. All my cupboards are hard to reach.
I have a 2 step stool in the kitchen and use it often. Now that I have lost weight my knee doesn't hurt so much and I can actually step up and down...which was a real problem before.
We have a very high California Queen bed and I have a little stool that my mother in law needlepointed the top .
(Really bad sentence construction..haha)
I guess I may take a picture and post it.
It would make an odd post...(:0)

Mevely317 said...

You know, I've idly wondered about Bob's height. That's a good-looking stool, for sure! Ours is a fold-up 2-story affair, but that's as high as I'm comfortable with. Shoot. 10 years ago I used to scamper up ladders, but even this kitchen stool makes me feel uneasy. What's up with THAT?

photowannabe said...


Oops, I don't know where my brain is today!

Our bed is a California King not Queen...

I also posted on my blog about the step stool that is really needlepointed...

Guess I need another cup of coffee...

The Adventures of the LLB Gang said...

I am tall and STILL have a step stool in my kitchen for those hard to reach places :-)

Ruth Hiebert said...

That looks like a handy dandy stool. Since I am severely vertically challenged I need a stool in every room.

Pam said...

AGE SUCKS....haha....I have a stool I use but that one looks easy and chances of falling is not as bad as it would be from a chair. I remember that I used to climb up on the sink to clean the tops of the lights, I would jump right down. No biggie but now, things have changed. Glad you will be safe and dong' have to ask for help.

diane b said...

Loved your post. It sounded like me. Except I just don't look on top of the fridge. That sure is a handy stool for Bobby Bear to do the cleaning. Good move.

DawnTreader said...

That stool looks brilliant. I have a light foldable (aluminium) step ladder (with a 'handle' on top) which I've had ever since I first moved away from home. I don't dare stand on the top of it but feel secure with the two lower steps. Very helpful to me when I want to reach. In the kitchen, for reaching the top shelves in my kitchen cupboards, I have a broad low wooden stool (and can hold on to the counter to get up/down). Fortunately my cupboards go all the way up to the ceiling so I don't have to clean on top of them (unlike my previous apartment). I only put light tings on the top shelves.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Darn, now you tell me that we are shrinking as we age, Sandra 😀 Yes, sadly I already knew that and have been using a step stool to reach into upper cabinets and to clean the fridge top.Yours looks very sturdy with the top handle. Mine is a two step model with no top support...I might want to rethink that.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

That's a great stool. Just like the doctor's offices.