Friday, October 25, 2019

Final Friday Fiction on Nature Friday


Joining FFF with Yam-aunty, click HERE for the rules and  join in the fun. Go HERE to find others who are joining in.


Photos in my back yard Oct 2019

My Dad's mother, lived with my aunt, in Savannah, Ga, during the 1950's. She carefully moved these ferns in their  planters from the yard to the back porch during the winter, to protect them from the cold. Come summer she moved them into the back yard. They flourished under her tender care.


My Mothers, mother, during those same years, lived here in Florida, about 2 miles from where I live now.
 Her house was the old Florida style and was 2 feet off the ground, leaving room for these ferns to flourish with no care at all.. Under her house and all over her yard, these ferns grew wild and beautiful. I never noticed the wild ferns in my grandmothers yard were exactly the same as my grandmothers in pots.


Fast Forward to 1985 when I moved in my new husbands home. The yard was filled with these ferns.

When I told him how happy I was to have ferns growing wild, he shared the story of their move from Pennsylvania in 1970. No worries! No wives were harmed in the making of this story. His wife died 4 years before I met him.. Just so you know.

They carefully packed two potted ferns and moved them 1200 miles, to find the back yard full of them. She planted the PA ferns with the Florida ferns and they lived happily together, waiting for me to fall in love with them in 1985.
We moved in this house in 1989 and again I was happy to find these ferns in our back yard. They grow up to 4 and 5 foot tall...  I have no photos, but the ferns that florist put in their floral creations, live wild here also. Bob's wife and my grandmother, had both type ferns in pots...
I love Ferns, do you?


NOT ferns! but it was There


18 comments:

Ann said...

I've always loved the look of ferns. I've had them in the house but since I'm no good with plants they didn't last long. How awesome that they grow wild there.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Firstly - thank you for such a wonderful contribution to FFF!!!

Secondly - yes, I love ferns. I had nots of this type at my place in Sydney; we called these "Boston Ferns" down under. No idea why. YAM xx

eileeninmd said...

Hello, wonderful story Sandra! I do love all the ferns. We see some growing in our yard and along the fire roads. Some of our ferns are turning colors but they still look pretty. I did find the cute lizard.
Have a happy day and weekend!

Mevely317 said...

I love the soft look of ferns, but have never tried owning and caring for them. (My track record with plants is awful.)
I'm at a loss to describe, but the associations (they evoke) with those who've gone before is pretty sweet.

Rose said...

Great story...I like ferns but have never had any in my yard....

Chatty Crone said...

I love your story there - no I never thought of someone having ferns as a plant!

Hootin Anni said...

We have ferns all around our front foundation. I too love 'em. Enjoyed reading this today, Sandra.

Linda P said...

Lovely story about the ferns. My late Mum had a little corner in her garden where ferns grew under a jasmine bush. I have created the same scene under the pear tree. I love ferns whether furled up in Spring then full leaved in Summer and gold coloured in Autumn as they are all over in our countryside.

Inger said...

What a great story, you should write stories often here. I like ferns, but they would not do well here in the dry canyon. It hasn't rained since June 1st. The reason I know that is that I blogged about it. So blogging is good for many things, keeping track of the weather among them. I must get back soon.

My Mind's Eye said...

WELL done MS....yay you are a natural bone story teller.

Just got in from 2 1/2 hours at our State Fair. It was a fine day to be there and I have a gazillion photos to go thru.
LOL
Hugs Cecilia

Debby@Just Breathe said...

That is an awesome story. I love ferns and we have them growing along one side of the house next to the sidewalk. Maybe 30 ft of them. It is an area that gets shade in the afternoon so they just get the morning sun. They grow about 3 or 4 ft tall. We do have a few plants which had cuttings from my aunt & uncles house 13 years ago. Also have cactus growing from 30 years ago that was in a tiny pot when we moved from San Diego to our other house in Fontana. We plan of taking potted plants of these when we move again someday.

photowannabe said...

I do love ferns too. Don't have any in our yard though.
Ferns bring back memories of camping in the Redwood forests...
The areas are dampish and lush. Ferns love it there. It always brings up the memories of hushed stillness ad that woody, earthy fragrance. I am sighing now...Ahhhhh

Ginny Hartzler said...

What a story! Of course, my favorites are the shots with the sun on the ferns. They are beautiful! The stores here always have a lot of them hanging up for sale. They look like Boston Ferns. I also know a woman named Fern! Drum roll please...

The Adventures of the LLB Gang said...

What a wonderful story! I am on the fence about ferns. They are pretty but we have a BUNCH of ferns here too, in fact we have to cut them back often or they would take over.

Heidrun Khokhar, KleinsteMotte said...

Your account of ferns is so touching. I have had very little interaction with them except in green houses. They are lush green.

Ruth Hiebert said...

I love ferns and have tried for years to grow them. I do hav some growing beside my house now, but they are not very tall nor very robust.

Betty Manousos said...

have i told you that i love your back yard? what a story. i do love ferns. they make lovely houseplants for the garden or home.

Carol Henstra said...

I enjoy your stories. I only see ferns in the country . I am back in my blogging. I try to take once a week for me now. I see Sid 6 days a week and take one day off for self. He is still the same. Cant sit or walk with out the lift. My life has really changed. It is reality with Sid. I have to accept it.

Yes you should write stories. Your very good a that.