Friday, February 10, 2023

The Senior and Her Moments! again

 


Last week, I took a couple of days off to work on 
My To DO list!
I knew what to do with my day and dreaded it, 
Put down the phone.
Stop Peering out the windows at the neighbors and their dogs.
Get it together.
Attack the #!@%$@$ computer.

It did not go well or quickly.

I spent FOUR HOURS updating a spread sheet, line by line and dealing with the 
craziness of someone selling my 401k account to another company.
Let's call them...

"#! FinancialCompany#!1" and 
" #! FinancialCompany#!2"

Hereafter referred to as, F-1 and F-2
This sounded simple, except step one was the information I needed to log into F-2 was trapped in F-1 because the account is PAPERLESS per them pestering me to do it and I HAD NO PAPER to get the info from.
As I fought through the old system finding what I needed, my mind kept losing focus while I pondered just what I would do if the power was out, the internet down or the computer had died.

First, I had to log on to F-1 to retrieve account information because I had gone paperless and 
: Senior Focus is not good, and stress makes it worse. the ability to put in a password correctly the first try has become impossible due to senior moments, assuming I can remember said password.

I spent 40 minutes finding and printing 2022 statements from F-1 for just in case I needed them to prove to F-2 I had the money in the account and to verify what F-2 has in their accounts, which turned out to be a waste of time because F-2 Had NOTHING BUT the Total.
Seems records will stay with F-1 and if I need anything in the future, before F-2 I have to log on to F-1 to get it and by the time I need it the password will not work because it has been to long since I logged on and I have do jump through Hoops. Sorry, my mind went down the Alice hole.

Logging into F-2 was a challenge because after hunting through the paper pages from F-1
to find the information to prove I was who I am, I found myself reading the instructions on how many letters and numbers and the length of the LOG IN should be. 
and drawing a BLANK because F-1 allowed log in ID to be easy peasy and was created before cyberbullies made everyone terrified.
oops there I go again.
then I was asked to create a new password, and each time I did, I got a red error,
not long enough, no capital, can't use those characters, and I estimate the time to create a new password at 30 minutes.
I must tell you I was prepared with log in ID and password, but In a note they advised I NOT use the log in password from F-1 which was my plan.

I ended up with an A Plus on password which meant the red turned green and said Excellent Strength.
I kid you not I wanted to cry by this time.
Next came the security questions which turned out to be SIX of them, I was warned to pick questions that I KNEW the answers and to pick something I could not forget.
To be sure make the answer was ONE WORD and something that could not have 2 answers. Also to pick harder questions so people who know me can't guess what I can't remember.

I was so upset, by this time when it asked me to set up double authentication, I had to go get the phone to look up the phone number.
I finally was In and the only thing I could prove was the total amount. 
Plus, an hour of what I want to see or not to see, MAKE IT ALL PAPERLESS, had to pick each thing click yes/no OV VEY!
When I retired in 2006 I could have done this with one arm tied behind me. Now it is like my brain is tied behind my head. I said to Bob, it's a good thing I am not still working because I could not do the job I did then and who knows what that has changed too.
PS.... I wrote all this to make you as frustrated as I was, assuming you made it to the end.






22 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

Yes, I did make it to the end. And I don't know how anyone even in their twenties could do this. This just gets to the point of being rediculous. But I guess if you are dealing with someone's savings and money...

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
I did make it all the way through to the end, and I heard ya, lady... had something of a similar experience myself a couple of weeks back. Today's call to insurance was leaning that way, but then got through to live voice, and he was most pleasant, and the job was done in no time at all. It just should not have been so involved to reach him...😬 YAM xx

DeniseinVA said...

Oyyyyyyy!!! Yes I made it to the end. My sympathies!

easyweimaraner said...

I made it... and I'm with you and I nodded 87 times while reading... or even more

crafty cat corner said...

I know how you feel. I spent one and a half hours on the phone yesterday trying to get stuff sorted, i felt quite dizzy when I had finished.
Everything is so complicated these days.
Briony
X

Ann said...

That was some ordeal. I realize they don't want to make it easy for cyber bullies to hack accounts but they sure don't make it easy for customers to sign up/log in. I hate having to come up with a new password for anything.

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
Sounds very frustrating, you have my sympathy. I try to let my hubby handle calls like this. I do not like the idea of going totally paperless. But, they are making us. We have no choice. We recently tried to re-negotiate our cable and phone bills, it was enough to drive a person crazy. Take care, have a great day!

Tigger's Mum said...

Right-on that lady. F is still working and has these problems - there is a huge notebook hidden in our house with login id's and passwords and sometimes she can't even remember where she hid it! There are pages and pages and pages of these things - and you are right about some expiring if you don't use them often enough, or websites getting make-overs so that you have to recreate your account, and having to make accounts just to make a single purchase when you know you will never use that website again (I mean, how many kitchen sink taps or house lots of curtain tracks does the ordinary person buy in any given year?)
AND you are not supposed to use the same password over and over.... why do they have passwords on sites that catalogue free knitting patterns (for example) - what is a hacker going to do? Delete f's favorites? Who cares?

Ooooh you have started something now....

Hootin Anni said...

Yep, been there, done that!!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

It’s always harder than seems necessary and yes made it to the end.

My Mind's Eye said...

This double authentication has been going on here. I do well to remember 1 security code now 2...mind boggling
Hugs Cecilia

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Sandra, to answer your question about whether one of the animals was pregnant in the photo on my post today, it was not, just overly plump we were told. These were all goats. I updated the post as well so others would know.

Mevely317 said...

Well, it worked! Not half-way through, I was getting agitated, needing a cigarette. (Never mind that I quit 10 years ago.)
Other than savings, we've no such investment. Almost makes me happy to be poor. (LOL)
Props for persevering!

LC said...

Sympathy and fear if I ever have to deal with that. My computer and math skills have never been noteworthy, and age has not improved them! Admiration of your persistence and success.

photowannabe said...

Oh my friend...I hear you loud and clear!!!
That's what we (sons and us) were doing last week.
I just about went to LaLa Land. Couldn't remember things, setting up new passwords..Your post sounds like us for sure.
I lie some things to be paperless but I really like having a real hardcopy in my hands too. Black and white makes me less confused and I can read and repeat without the computer timing out and the password code disappearing..ugh...so frustrating.
Getting old isn't for the faint of heart.
Doing my usual Friday stints today, sigh, somedays I am too tired for all of this.
Sue

DawnTreader said...

I had no idea what a 401k is (but have since googled it) but even without grasping the details I can still grasp your frustration... It's a "password jungle out there" these days...

Breathtaking said...

Hi Sandra I made it to the end, and did feel as frustrated as you felt just reading all about it. Well done you for getting it done in the end. Security is tight, but I wouldn't want to go through what you went through.Instead of doing things on line, I went to the bank this morning with Eva to transfer some bonds I had into cash in my currant account. It was a simple transaction, and we were out of there in 30 mins.It was a good day. I had a blood test first thing this morning then went to have breakfast. A large Coffee, and I ordered a buttered toasted croissant. It was not to my liking, not crispy enough, so I left it and ordered a rice cake, ---it was stale so I left it, and told the waitress why. Some time later the manageress arrived at our table and was very apologetic, She brought me a fresh rice cake which was lovely, and had wrapped up a fresh croissant to take with me. There was no charge. We then went to a hospital in another town where I had an appointment to see an Ophthalmologist. I'm glad that he saw me and I'm finally going to have the cataract surgery I need. He said that I should have been operated a long time ago. I'm really pleased that I will only have to wait two months now, We accomplished so much this morning and even had time to look for a handbag, which I found. There are days when everything just falls into place, and others when things take for ever to get done. Please forgive this long comment Sandra.

CheerfulMonk said...

I did make it all the way to the end. I’m sorry you had to go through this, but I love your graphics. They always seem so cheerful even when you’re talking about frustrating things. I hope today is more fun for you. ❤️

The Adventures of the LLB Gang said...

Oh man Sandra, they sure make you jump through hoops without getting you any detailed information...UGH!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I couldn't even finish reading this. This kind of stuff makes me crazy and I do worry about the future of all of our accounts and such.

Rose said...

I made it to the end and I felt every bit of your frustration.

Chatty Crone said...

I am right there with you. I want to talk to a live person. Why do they make things so hard as we age - instead of easier? I just don't get it.