Monday, June 12, 2023

Cottage Museum Circa 1900


Cottage Museum, 1900, Palmetto Heritage Park
The cottage is typical of the small family bungalows built across Florida in the early part of the 20th Century and is furnished with vintage items. I could not get a photo through the glass

this style of home is called Cracker House Architecture. the style I love the most. this is an image from Google that shows what the porch on my grandmothers house looked like, She had the front and on on the side and one of the rear. The porches with screens or without were built to shade the windows from the hot Florida sun.


In its simplest form, a Cracker house is a wooden shelter built by the early Florida and Georgia settlers. Lured to Florida by cheap and plentiful land, these pioneers arrived with few provisions and needed to erect shelter quickly and cheaply.
the Cracker comes from the Crack of the whip, which is how they herded the cattle through the swamps of Florida.



Original Wavy Glass in windows and doors



House was moved to the park from the original lot 4 blocks away.


the railings on the school next door is wheelchair access.



18 comments:

CheerfulMonk said...

I’m so impressed by that park. Thank you so much for sharing it. ❤️👍😊

Ginny Hartzler said...

What a bad name for a lovely little house. I would love it, especially the wonderful porch!!

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
...what Ginny said! YAM xx

easyweimaraner said...

I love this houses... the porch is made for summer evenings with ice tea and a book... and for decorations at all holidays...

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
I love the cute cottage and the porch. The Cracker name is kind of strange but I guess it fits with your crack of the whip description. Take care, enjoy your day!

DawnTreader said...

I've not been commenting on every post but I'm really enjoying these posts from the Palmetto Heritage Park - and I love that red brick road! We have cobbled streets here but I've never seen a brick road.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Too bad we still don’t build modest little homes like that.

Ann said...

I see a porch like that and I'm instantly in love. I would so like to have a porch like that on my house.

Mevely317 said...

I've heard the term Cracker House for years, but never thought about its origin. Neat!
I do prefer the porch(s) on that one you found to resemble your grandmother's place. Porch sitting, lemonade sipping!

My Mind's Eye said...

I love a big porch!! And look at that symmetry in the last photo. Hugs Cecilia

photowannabe said...

Just a note to say that our phone rang at 7am this morning and Lynne's caregiver for today is sick
So
Change of plans
I am there for a 10 hour shift..sigh...
Having to do a very fast shuffle on our errands and plans for the next few days.. I really don't know how I will do it but God will give me the extra strength and I do have a very helpful and compassionate husband.
Sue

Linda said...

I would LOVE a house like this!!

Brian's Home Blog said...

Those houses are amazing, they sure don't make them like they used to these days!

The Adventures of the LLB Gang said...

My Mom, who spent her pre-teen and teen years in Pensacola, used to always point out houses that looked cracker houses...I never really understood exactly what she meant..Thank you!!

Chatty Crone said...

What an adorable house - I love it. My grandma in Indiana had the wrap around porch and I spent several times out there enjoying watching all the things and people go by.

Rose said...

I so would love to visit this park...

DeniseinVA said...

I love this area and would love to walk around here.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Love that front porch. The buildings are charming.