Tuesday, April 2, 2024

Ibis, the early bird does get the worm/worms

 


Our yard is often fully flocked with flocks of these not so handsome Ibis. T

hey are as common here as doves and pigeons in other parts of the world.  My best photos of these birds, is HERE the year I first saw them in our tree. Until then, I had no idea they sat in trees. at the end of the post the label shows many photos of them.

This past week on our walk, each day, there was one Ibis in the yard of my neighbor Helen. She is one of few that waters her lawn and its on a timer. this one Ibis KNOWS what happens when the sprinkler is on. I paid attention to this fact because it is rare to see just ONE of these birds.

By day three, I slowly walked to see what he/she was doing, running on those bright orange legs, hither and thither, stabbing that beak like lightning. 

I laughed out loud, as I saw first one, then another and another earth worm jump from the wet grass onto the pavement, there to be pounced upon as Ibis breakfast. I sad to Beau, the Ibis Smorgasbord is OPEN and he is not sharing the knowledge. He consumed 3 as we walked past.

I had no idea a worm could jump that high and far... Or that one Ibis would jealously guard his buffet. It is True, the early bird gets the worm/worms and the early worms, ummmm to bad to sad THE END.



20 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

Goodness, the older post shows them with red on their heads like a vulture. I have only seen them in a zoo. What a funny story!

CheerfulMonk said...

Smart bird! You see a lot more wildlife than we do.

Ann said...

That is one smart bird. He sure knows the good spot for breakfast. He must not be sharing the knowledge with anyone else since he's there alone.

Linda P said...

The ibis look exotic. Of course the birds we get in our UK garden are entertaining, mostly sparrows, blackbirds and blue tits. They are nesting in the hedge.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
I have fun watching birds catch their prey... here it's Gulls dancing in the ground to wake up the worms... or dropping mussels from a great height onto concrete in order to break them open... YAM xx

David M. Gascoigne, said...

These ibises are very handsome birds indeed and as you have observed intelligent too. To be called bird-brained is a compliment!

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
I enjoyed seeing the Ibis all over Florida! They are pretty birds.
Cute story about the Ibis and the worms. They are smart birds!
I love the photos. Take care, enjoy your day!

DawnTreader said...

Well done on finding proof of the truth in the old proverb... :)

Rose said...

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to photograph the worms as they leap on to the sidewalk! I bet that was fun to watch.

My Mind's Eye said...

OM Ibis if I saw one in my yard I'd be total in awe.
Such grace and beauty
Hugs Cecilia

Pamela M. Steiner said...

What fun to watch the antics of birds. They are each unique and interesting in their habits and activities. Thank you for painting this word picture for us! I can vividly imagine it in my mind, having many birds here to show me just how they do it. We don't get many Ibis' here at our own pond, however. Not sure why they haven't discovered this hidden gem. Maybe we are too far inland or north. I don't know. But thank you for sharing your story. What fun.

Ginny Hartzler said...

I'm glad you like the shot of her dress from her phone. I actually snapped it while she held the phone for me!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I remember seeing those at my dad's all the time. Yes, those are great photos in your other post. That sounds like fun watching it get those earthworms.

photowannabe said...

Fascinating..Rose's comment made me laugh..your mission is to photograph the jumping worms..I can't wait to see that..
Sue

The Adventures of the LLB Gang said...

What a smart little Ibis!!

Mevely317 said...

Oh my goodness! I used to enjoy watching the gulls catching prey, but never would I have guessed that the Ibises (ibisi?) are so clever. And quick! That must have been a panic to see in person!

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

That must have been so fun to see. Too bad you didn't get a video. Usually we see lots of worms on the sidewalks after a rainstorm in the summer, but for some reason they are all dead and for some other odd reason, the Momster won't let us taste them.

Woos - Lightning, Misty, and Timber

Brian's Home Blog said...

Our kitties would really enjoy that Bird-TV!

Ida said...

What a cool bird (okay it's not a looker like a peacock) but it still is quite fascinating. Believe me I'd rather see this than a pigeon any day. - Enjoyed your wonderful photos of them (both old and new).

Chatty Crone said...

That bird is brilliant. Goes to the yard with water and catches jumping worms. You can't do better than that.