Wednesday, April 17, 2024

Powder Puff Tree Take Down🌳🌳

2023 photo, and there are more, they all look the same. I did not take a photo this year

 Every April for the past 34 years Bob cuts the powder puff bush down to about 3 or 4 feet, and by November it 12 feet tall and as big as a small school bus and flowers in November until March and down it goes again. 

The past 5 years, he does the wielding of the chain saw, I run to the curb dragging the limbs for trash pickup. 

The tree is down, the deed is done. It was our first time at ages 79 and 87 and it nearly killed us. 

This time I counted the drags to the curb. I dragged 10 piles of limbs to the curb, walking 100 feet there and 100 back. This feat was accomplished by bending, stooping, gathering up about 20 limbs, and dragging them while walking 1000 feet. Also, I had to fight the limbs through the privacy fence gate and then a chain link gate. NOT a wide one, a person sized one. Did you hear my words?

Picture this, An American football field is 360 feet (110m) long.. I walked 1000 feet that day. DRAGGING Tree Branches. Bob was nice enough to say, I did the hardest part. The thing is, I can't do the chain saw. he can't walk. He can stand but now really well, while I walked out of sight, I pictures in my fretter mind, returning to the scene of the take down and find him on the ground bleeding.

For 3 full days, each morning the neighbors may have heard the sounds we made when getting up out of bed, sitting, walking, or making any movement at all of our limbs. Our Limbs not the powder puff.

Because last year, I ended up with multiple stab wounds on my legs, this year I donned the 

#OOTD

But Wait there's MORE! 

TO BE CONTINUED




16 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

Oh my GOSH! I would have died, literally. It is an obstacle course! But I see you wore old pants to protect your legs. You posted a half hour early.

CheerfulMonk said...

I would never be able to do that! Please take care. ❤️

Ann said...

That sounds totally exhausting. I would be hurting for sure the next day. You need a card or something to put all those limbs on to take them to the curb.

Breathtaking said...

Hi Sandra :=)
I honestly don't know how you did that.Please be careful I agree with Ann you need some sort of trolley to load those limbs on to before you put your back out.

eileeninmd said...

Hello
As we get older it is harder to do all the yard work that needs to be done.
I can not imagine dragging all those limbs to the curb. It is good that you wore the long pants and protected your legs. Take care, have a great day!

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari Om
Hmmmmmmm... time to call in the yard guys? YAM xx

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Maybe next year you’ll have a contractor do it for you, or just let the tree grow in the glorious way that nature intended. The walking was doubtless good for you, dragging the branches perhaps not so much.

Rose said...

I thought I heard creaking...

Mevely317 said...

I'm 74 and Tom's 82 ... but I wouldn't even try to accomplish what y'all did! Aren't there teens (too young to get a regular job) you could pay to help. At least to drag those limbs. Wowzer.

PS - Gotta say, your OOTD makes you look skinny!

My Mind's Eye said...

I cannot imagine how tiring, and trying and exhausting that ordeal was. And then to have scapes and scratches too.
My April FFF will detail a recent unexpected DIY for us.
There were sore muscles and aching backs. (I don't talk about the blood shed though). I finally put on my thick garden gloves that have grip to them.
Hugs Cecilia

Chatty Crone said...

You poor baby -- you are in good shape.
I can say one thing - better you than me - I would chop it all down. lol

The Adventures of the LLB Gang said...

WOW!! I don't think I could have done either one of those things. I think it's awesome that you and Bob worked as a team to get it done~

I can't even imagine how sore you both are/were! Hanging in there!

photowannabe said...

Yikes !!!
I feel your pain.
The battle is real...
We are battling the weeds in the backyard and I know the neighbors will hear our grunts and groans too.
Everything is so out of hand... sigh
It's amazing how your Powder Puff comes back with a vengeance every year.
Sue

DeniseinVA said...

Good grief Sandra! More power to you but I couldn't have done it. Glad you wore those pants. I hope you're recovered by now.

Brian's Home Blog said...

Snap, crackle pop! Good the tree is done gone!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Oh my, that is so much work for the two of you. You did so much walking!!!