Friday, August 30, 2024

Mommy and Daddy, Final Friday Feature With YAM

 


My Dad in his retirement mobile home, Savannah GA, 1995 
While cleaning out the cabinets, I found this book and the photo



It is The Pastors Manual, James Randolph Hobbs, D.D., L.I.D. Copyright 1934
Broadman Press, Nashville, Tennessee
Daddy bought this manual in 1953, in the used bookstore at Clear Creek Mountain Preachers School. The sticker says $1.50. I remember that the cost was a lot. He earned his high school diploma at the same time as his Batchelor's Degree in Theology. He worked part time in the campus grocery store.
 His pay at the time was $30.00 a week. And a huge $30.00 a month from the church he pastored.
He was Our Appalachian Mountain Preacher.

This small book contains poems, marriage ceremonies, funerals, every single thing a pastor would need to know how to do. The page below, says Order of Service for Organizing a Baptist Church.


I do hope Dr. Hobbs did not take offense as I giggled my way through the pages Titled.

It's Public Worship... the giggling was the thought that this was written in 1934 and if the author could see the ORDER of Service now, he would be shocked, TO.The.Core!

The book even gives advice on the Deportment of the minister at the funeral. 

Should he walk in front of the casket, or walk behind it, or stand at the front and not walk in.

No wonder he spent hours in his study each time there was a funeral or a wedding.


When I opened it to the bookmark, I found the above Bookmark of his mother, my grandmother, always called Mommie by all the grand kids. it was her Obituary from 1959. It has a wealth of information about her family that I did not know. I was 15 when she died and lived 1000 miles away. I had no idea she had living sisters that I had never met or even knew existed.


The photo was taken sometime during WWII. My dad, dark pants, and his 4 of his 6 siblings, left to right, Edwin McCall, Marine. Robert McCall, Helen McCall, Charles McCall, my dad and Uncle Jack, Army. Uncle Julian , the missing brother in the photo, took the photo and Carolyn died at birth.
Below is Mommie, on the steps of the family home in Manassas, Ga.
It was a bitter and hard life for all of them. My grandfather had a stroke and was in a wheelchair for most of their childhood, Mommie and my Daddy, the oldest Male, born in 1913, ran the store, the boys gave her fits with no man to control them. 
The War Between the States, also called The Civil War, ended in 1865. My Dad's Grandfather died at Shiloh. You might say I was raised in Dixie and no one in my family ever forgot The War. When I was 17, I dated a boy from Connecticut and my grandmother, not this grandmother, but my mothers mother down here in Florida, had a hissy fit. That is Southern Talk for very upset.
In 1985 I married a Yankee from Pennsylvania. My grandmothers were deceased, or it might have killed them both.

Carrie Terrell McCall 
1886-1959




Joining Final Friday Feature with Yam


23 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

What wonderful and treasured finds!!! And really interesting stories. Your Dad was so handsome, as I have said before I am sure.

Tigger's Mum said...

Great finds and your post has added to the body of family history that others in your family will reasesrch and pass on. Inspires me to post some of the old photos I have been sorting lately.

easyweimaraner said...

that was a good feeling to walk back in time with you... I often wish I had met some relatives I know only from photos... I can only use my imagination now...but thats ok too...

Donna said...

What a wonderful find... later generations will want all this information!
hugs
Donna

Ann said...

What amazing treasures you found. They took you on a wonderful journey.

eileeninmd said...

Great finds and they are treasures. I love seeing the old family photos. Take care, have a great weekend!

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari Om
This was an excellent read, Sandra! What a wee treasure you rediscovered. Thank you for sharing and showing. YAM xx

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I am sure you were very happy to find this treasure. It will probably provide many more hours of entertainment.

DeniseinVA said...

Thanks for sharing this. It is a treasure trove of family history. Really amazing that you now know so much.

Pamela M. Steiner said...

Wow, this was very interesting, Sandra! I love that you found that little book and all the stories and memories and pictures that stirred up!! I wonder if you are related to the 'infamous' Sheriff Willis V. McCall, who was sheriff in Lake County, FL. (Tavares) for many years back in the 50's-60's. Infamous because of his treatment of the "colored" prisoners in that day and time. My mother actually became his secretary when we moved down south from Pennsylvania, and she sure got her eyes open to the way things were in the south during that reign... Also there was a dear and wonderful but strong teacher in my school, Doris McCall Ragan, who taught English and was by far the most well remembered teacher forever. She was probably barely 5' tall, but she could sure pack a wallop with the paddle when needed. Anyway, just thought about the McCall's I've know in my past and wondered if you could be related. I enjoyed your history stories so MUCH. Thank you for sharing. My hubby has such a little Pastor's Manual. Not quite that old, but still has many similar things in it. It was quite helpful in his ministry. He still has some obituary notices stuck inside from some of the funerals he performed over the years. Oh, the memories that come flooding when I think of all the different services he performed as a minister. I didn't know your Daddy was a preacher! How wonderful! You know what it's like to be a PK. ! (preacher's kid). That explains everything. LOL. Love you dear friend.

Rose said...

This was a fun read.. so interesting. Just love posts like this.

Sparky said...

It's so wonderful that you have all that family history. It's a treasure. I love stories like this. Oh, and I'm still giggling at "hissy fit" because that's what I grew up with. Have a great day. Love. 💙

My Mind's Eye said...

Sandra what a treasure you found. This was so very interesting and just truly amazing. Thank you for sharing. The living back then was simple and folks found a way to live and love on very little. Now many young people think they deserve the all their desires right away
Hugs Cecilia

Mevely317 said...

What treasures you've uncovered in that Time Capsule! Your daddy looks so dapper in the first image. I remember how 'older' gentlemen took such care in their appearance, no matter their station in life.
Your mention of the Civil War reminds me of the time my parents took me on a tour of a honest-to-goodness Southern plantation house. Little I recall except the guide was an old -- obviously embittered woman who called it the War of Northern Aggression. (I love that!)

Chatty Crone said...

You were blessed to find this book and gain more knowledge of your family. Are you going to try to find any of the relatives you didn't know about. I love to know about how people from the past lived. So incredible. Yes, the north and south did not mix so well back then.

Brian's Home Blog said...

Such an interesting find and so, so many memories. Those are true treasures!

CheerfulMonk said...

Thank you!! ❤️

Latane Barton said...

that book was an interesting find. Even though things have changed over the years, there's a lot in there that preacher could benefit from today. In fact, we all could use a little 'correcting' and 'instructing' nowdays. Enjoyed your post so much.

The Adventures of the LLB Gang said...

I so enjoy reading about your family history!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

This post is so interesting. Thank you so much for sharing all of the information you shared. That book is so interesting and the pictures are precious. Can you pass this on to a family member that would love to have it?

Debby said...

I love the family history and stories you found. I’m really into all of that. As for “hissy fit” I’m a Californian who was raised by a Tennesseean and southern Ohio and they both used that. Now I get why when I would say it, my friends would laugh.
Now my dad’s family lived in Scott County in East Tennessee and they voted to succeed from the state of Tennessee and fought for the Union and that sentiment was still strong in that area and within the family for generations. A couple of my aunts married southern men and my Grandpa never warmed up to them. My mom used to tell me, they’re all still fighting the civil war.
Very interesting and I’m so glad you shared it.

photowannabe said...

I just love seeing all your old family photographs and hearing about them. The South is a whole different world for me. Thanks for filling me in on it.
Sue

Anne M Robinson said...

What treasures you have found! I loved hearing these stories. Your photos are beautiful too. I found our my maternal grandfather who passed away in a gold mining accident in 1928 along with his 17 year old son in Teller County, Colorado had a living sister who did not pass away until the late 70's. Oh how I wish I could have known her. She lived in Ohio. I have many bookmarks my sweet husband has laminated for me with my folks obits and other relatives and friends. Catholics use to printed the deceased info on the back of a holy card with the picture of a Saint on the front. I have dozens of those too. I use them to mark pages in my bible. Your stories here gave me a glimpse into your loved ones. Thank you.