Thursday, September 26, 2024

Lemon Grass for FREE

 


While Bob put pool supplies in the basket at Home Depot, I wandered around taking pictures of plants and found a flat that had maybe 50 of these Lemon Plants. My first viewing of this plant.
 Horrified at the price, I did not take a photo and had to borrow this from their website.
As we drove in the driveway, I pulled in the garage and hopped out and ran to the front yard with my
cellphone. As I stepped inside the house, Bob said what were you doing?
I poked my phone and said look, look at this


So, what? he says, I almost cut it down yesterday, but the weed whacker quit.
I said in my soft gentle voice, DON"T CUT IT DOWN. It's LEMON GRASS.
We got a present from the birds...


I am thankful the weed thingy quit, because he has cut it down several times and I always fuss, because I like it around the stump. He says it's just weeds, I say I like weeds.
Now I have PROOF it is not weeds.

I showed bob the price of the big one and the price of this little 4 inch pot at Walmart

At first, I thought we could dig up 3 big ones and sell them in our front yard, but on 2nd thoughts, if I make 10 of these smaller ones, at $13.99 that is more than 2 big ones at $59.99

Lemon grass flowers, it is a mosquito, flies and ants repellant, it is toxic to dogs, but ours is in the front yard, not where Beau goes. It's attractive if you take care of it. 
THERE IS ALWAYS a fly in every ointment. 😉😉😉

I am thankful I found proof these are not JUST WEEDS, and that Bob did not cut them down for the 3rd time and 
I am thankful for our gift from the birds, and can join Brians Home Thankful Thursday
PS I do realize the lemon grass needs to have weeds pulled from around it, but waiting to see if anyone volunteers to come do it.

I HAD SEVERAL POSTS ON AUTOPOST, IF I DON'T COMMENT ON YOUR BLOGS, IT MEANS HURRICANE HELENE HAS PUT OUT THE POWER OR WORSE. 



16 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

Been praying for you! So, does it smell like lemons? What a wonderful discovery!

easyweimaraner said...

oh how great!!!! we love lemon grass! my mom once got a gift from the berds too... it was a cannabis sativa what was in the berds seeds... she liked the big plant and all people laughed or shaked their hads when they passed her garden ... then someone snitched the pant... we bet the thief got the runs , that was nothing to smoke, it was industrial hemp... Please stay safe when Helen is around, we cross paws and fingers...

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari Om
Lemongrass also makes a lovely tisane (fresh leaf infusion) to aid digestion... Be safe. YAM xx

eileeninmd said...

What a nice gift from the birds. I would like to have some Lemongrass to repel the insects. I did not know it cost so much.
Take care and stay safe!

Rose said...

Wow at the price of lemon grass!

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Is that the same kind of lemon grass used in cooking? It looks different.

Pamela M. Steiner said...

What fun to find you have a "gold mine" in your own yard, thanks to the birds and their gifts! LOL. Praying for your safety and peace of mind as you go through Hurricane Helene today. I will be thinking of you. We should be fine up here, just some rain and wind, but nothing major (I pray!). Take care my friend. See you when it's over!

My Mind's Eye said...

Sending lots of prayers Helene looses a lot of her nasty attitude
Hugs Cecilia

Chatty Crone said...

You know there is such a thing as lemon grass tea too! lol Wonder if it is the same. We are in the path of Helene too - we have never been in this situation since we moved here in 1986.

Donna said...

Great find!! I have to threaten Larry within an inch of his life if he tries to chop down my flowers and plants! Expensive!
Praying you are safe!!!
hugs
Donna

Mevely317 said...

Good for you! I'd forgotten (that) our first summer here someone said lemon grass was a good mosquito repellent. Go figure, I went out and bought 3-4 ... which later succumbed probably from neglect. Now looking at these photos, I've a sneaking suspicion I've been guilty of weed-whacking them (or their second cousins) all Summer.
Praying for your safety -- and sanity in the storm!

CheerfulMonk said...

That's exciting! A better excitement than that dratted hurricane. Stay safe!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

That is some useful information that you found out. I like that it is a repellant.

photowannabe said...

Oh I hope you are okay and your power is still on. This hurricane seems like a doozy.
Love the story about the Lemon Grass and all of its good uses.
Stay safe
Sue

Sparky said...

The Lemon Grass is pretty. The birds bring us lots of 'gifts' (I call them volunteers) as well. Thanks to them we now have a multitude of volunteer Magnolia's all around the acreage. That's a new one.
We're awaiting the Hurricane too. Looks like it's heading right for Tally. Hope everyone stays safe.
Blessings. 💙

The Adventures of the LLB Gang said...

How nice of the birds to leave you such a pricey present!
Praying Helena fizzles out!