Saturday, October 5, 2024

Hurricane Helene 2

 

all of this was in our driveway the next morning.

The next day, our yard was covered in debris and limbs, the pool was full of the same, the back yard covered entirely. no trees down and I was so thankful for that. I cleared the mess above while bob worked on the pool, it is more than i can do to lift limbs and things out of the pool. 

As I stood staring at the mess, I realized we could not back out of the garage because the drive was full of oak limbs. I also went into panic mode when I realized our huge, new heavy hurricane double door is electric.  2 years ago it was taken out by hurricane Ian and replaced with this. I cannot lift it and thought bob could not either. I was wrong, he did get it open, I backed the car out and went to find ice and when i came home he wanted to close my car in the garage. I refused; my Kia lived outside for 3 days until power came back.

It took us 6 days, the two of us working 2 hours a day, to clean it all up. 
I learned that if you use a rake and pitchfork you will struggle to get out of bed each morning but after 4 days in a row, on day 5 and 6 you will not be sore. 

After the power came back

3 Sweaty gowns, 5 sweaty underpants, 3 sweaty Bob tank shirts, were washed with the sheets/pillowcases, TOGETHER, for the first ever time in my entire LONG LIFE. (we are still under water conserve, use washers/dishwashers/flushing only if you have to, no watering, filling pools etc, turn off water while brushing teeth/take short showers) because our sewers and water pump facilities are overwhelmed and already so much water, we can't add to it.

Helene is # 9 hurricane we have been through in my 40 years here. the first was Elena and in 1985. We moved here in 1989 and since then have been through. In all of those we had the same clean up and some was more, 2 took down trees, but we never had damage to our house.

This one was the scariest but might have been because we are both in our 80's and unable to cope as well. After all the others we cleaned it all up in 1 to 2 days.

these are all labels of our trials by hurricane. From the bottom of the west coast of FL to the top of the state, the beaches are devastated. We live 7 miles from our beaches and the storm surge has shut down every west coast beach there is, many drowned in their homes. 

Hurricane's Hermine, Ian, Idalia, Irma, Eta, Helene and Tropical Storm Gabriella which was on 60 MPH but took down our largest tree.

and now we await Hurricane Milton, who is speeding across the Gulf of Mexico aimed right at the big blue dot which is US... Ready, Aim, Fire! 




I AM NOT BACK ON THE BLOG TRAIN YET, I WANTED THIS FOR MY FUTURE REFERECNES AND WILL DO 1 OR 2 MORE. I JUST AM NOT ABLE TO READ AND COMMENT ON OTHERS BLOG AND THIS IS MORE FOR MY INFO THAN THE PUBLIC.  

WE ARE FINE.        


2 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

Whatever the new hurricane brings, it cannot be as bad as Helene. It was the worse in something like 100 years. I'm glad you only worked 2 hours a day!

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Right old mess, eh? Horrid that there's another on the way. Praying it peters out before it reaches you... YAM xx