Friday, March 15, 2013

Here I come to save the day....



CLICK TO ENLARGE

~ ~ here she comes to save the day, mighty mouse Madsnapper is on the way.... sing with me now...~ ~
                             
 SKIP THIS POST IF YOU DON"T USE READER AND DON"T WANT  THE ALTERNATIVE
IF YOU DON'T WANT TO READ THIS TUTORIAL GO
HERE FOR 4 ALTERNATIVES
[if you skip this and want to know info about blogging, please visit TexWisGirl and read her plea to bloggers


Oops! forgot this is a tutorial on  using FEEDLY as your reader.......you can skip the tutorial and
follow Feedly instructions by clicking on link below.

I chose to replace Google Reader now with Feedly. If you don't use Reader you might want to try this since it is even better than the old.

Step 1. click on this link Feedly  and choose your browser and click Get Feedly and it will ask you to log in with Google Reader... Be sure to click that and it will download all your dashboard blogs from Google Reader to Feedly Reader.

  [Feedly CAN be saved to your Favorites or as an ICON on desktop. Mine is on the bookmark bar in Chrome]


Step 2: Click on the title of the post.

[Above is the way your page will look, it will be white. I changed mine to purple or it may look like below if it is set on Today and you have read all your blogs.]


Step 3:  Click on the word preview, very small at top left.


Step 4: Read the post, comment and then click the hard to see X and it will close the post and remove from your reader.

You may want to change your preferences, look under preferences at bottom on the left and read and select you preference.

You can change your fonts, just make it personal or leave it alone, be sure to go to the bottom and  click confirm mark as read if you want them to be gone as you read. they will still be in your dashboard.


Step 5:  Don't Panic.... this just looks hard... also you have until July 1, because if you wait until Google reader is gone, you will had to add your blogs one at a time.

PS I found another way than above that is better to view in.

To read your blogs, Click ALL and here is the list, hove mouse over the end of the line and you will see a clock, square and X.... click on the clock and it takes you to the post in another window. Close when finished commenting, and go to the next one... this will highlight them and you will know what you read. Theresa from TexWisGirl might leave comments that will help so read her comment if you see it.

26 comments:

Gail said...

I didn't use reader. I just use the dashboard which is a pain so I may try this. Thanks.

Chatty Crone said...

I need saving - THANK YOU - THANK YOU - THANK YOU and thanks to Tex. This is awesome. sandie

Anita Johnson said...

Well, this was very helpful. I'm way behind. I have the blogs I read on my computer under favorites...I just click through the list when I have time...old school but it works for me. I cannot see my list on another computer, a problem when I travel. Tex did a good job too. I try to comment on blogs with word verification, but if it doesn't work out on the first try, well, I just don't try again. (Wondering if you trapped your fox yet. They are fun to watch hunt and I'm OK with him eating from our large mouse population.)

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

Thanks, I am still trying to decide what to do. I assume this will also affect GFC, since that puts the blogs into Reader, right?

Auntie sezzzzzz... said...

Great that you did this, for those who need it.

Perhaps next week, I'll do a Tutorial on my personal/wonderful way :-) of seeing when blogs-I-love-have-new-posts. :-)

"Auntie"

TexWisGirl said...

like you, switched to feedly yesterday and after a bit of poking around, threw google reader in the trash. a few minor learning curve items (wish they had some better help menus or explanations of what their settings will do), i'm liking it a lot.

i use the end of the line hover method. i also choose to display all of my blog posts - not just unread - so i don't have to remove them from my list after i read them - the title 'goes to gray' if i've read it already with unread posts showing in bold.

i hope feedly will add more help menus, and user feedback forums right on their product so we can continue to offer suggestions for improvement as we use it. :)

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I'm going to try this but I have a question. Should I switch to chrome before I do this because eventually we will all have to be in chrome. Was chrome hard to learn?

My Mind's Eye said...

OMgoodness I'm confused.. I guess because I don't use Google Reader and I expect I might be the only person who doesn't.
Maybe I'll give it a try...thanks for the information.
Hugs C

EG CameraGirl said...

Oh my goodness! Something new to learn. EEEK!

Susannah said...

Yes, do you have to be on Chrome before you do this? I think I am.

Betty Manousos said...

oh sandra, you always come up with such interesting ideas and tips!
i think i'm way behind...i don't use google reader, but i use my blog roll.
i am still trying to decide what to do.

Ginny Hartzler said...

Google was on T.V. last night, on the news. They are removing lots of other stuff besides the reader, too. You have just made a whole lot of people very happy.

Ruth Hiebert said...

Thanks to you,Sandra and TexWisGirl,I have switched to Feedly and other than a little getting used to,I really like it.Someone asked about switching to Chrome,I do not have Chrome and it works just fine.

Amy Burzese said...

I am trying Feed Demon. I'll try Feedly also.

Ann said...

I'm starting to get the hang of it. After I did the switch I just looked real quick and thought I was going to have a hard time. I suppose it really isn't all that much different and I may even like it better.

Cranberry Morning said...

Well, Sandra, aka Mighty Mouse, that was the poke in the ribs that I needed to start thinking about a way to follow and read more than just Blogger blogs. I've never had Google Reader, just my Blogger dashboard. So does this mean that I could follow any blogs in Feedly, not just Blogger, right? (Sorry I'm so far behind and also sorry if you already mentioned this in your post.) Thanks.

Marie said...

I'm not sure what I will do. I do appreciate all this info! :)

Cranberry Morning said...

One more thing. I was told that GFC is going away. wah. So will Feedly replace that or is it a whole different thing?? Nevermind, you don't have to figure this out for me. I'll check on it, but this annoys me. Just when my little world was sailing along so smoothly. lol

Betsy Banks Adams said...

I'm using Feedly now --and I'm on Firefox. It's working well... Thanks for your help to others.
Hugs,
Betsy

George said...

Thanks for saving the day. I've downloaded Feedly and I now need to play around with it.

SquirrelQueen said...

I'll make a note of this because at some point in the near future Google will mess things up and I might need it. Thanks!

diane b said...

I use my blog roll but this looks good. Thanks for the info. I'll go try it now.

Unknown said...

I always use the dashboard, but will see if I can try this out. Enjoy your weekend.

DawnTreader said...

I'm trying it out now on Firefox... But I don't like about it is that I can't enlarge it as much as I need to without the sidebar disappearing for me. It's one of those made for people with good eyesight, apparently....

Debra Dickinson said...

Thank you!!!!

Paula said...

Hello, Sandra~ this is my first ever visit to your blog! Mildred from Maple Lane sent me over after I complained on my blog about losing Google Reader. Feedly sounds much better and thanks to you I will definitely give it a try!
Paula