Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Pitcher Plant (Nepenthes pervillei)

In the rain forest at Selby Gardens, Sarasota, FL, there are many, many brilliantly colored flowers and plants. Of course, me being ME, I really like the non-brilliant Pitcher Plant.

They are so innocent looking, dozens of little and large pitchers, hanging on vines, these hanging pitchers.
this is a close up of the top to one, the mouth so to speak.

One of my favorites is the Nepenthes pervillei, a carnivorous plant, which traps prey in its pitchers.
Insects are attracted to the pitcher by a fragrant odour, but the waxy surface of the inner wall does not provide support, and the plant's victims tumble into the fluid below. A powerful digestive acid is then released from the pitcher walls, which consumes the prey

there will be some of you who are not fascinated by my picture of pitcher plants, so peruse pretty plants and enjoy.



Even the plants that do not bloom are colorful. See you Tomorrow

2 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

I must admit that I do not share your enthusiasm for the pitcher plant. And yet,I have never seen one, so I enjoyed looking and reading about it. It does make an excellent blog subject. The pictures are outstanding, as usual.

Beverly said...

I am so sorry I missed your field trip to Selby. Keep me in mind for a trip after I get back in November.

You do know that the above commenter Ginny is one of Ella's caregivers, don't you? She's great.