Saturday, September 2, 2017

Then and Now _ME

Then

Now and then, I think about my growing up years, Then and Now.... Photos taken in Manatee Historical Village.

I was born in Savannah GA in 1944 and had electricity, indoor plumbing the first 12 years of my life even though we lived in a converted chicken coop in my Aunts back yard.

In 1953 we moved to Clear Creek KY, I was 9 years old. We lived in campus housing and had a shower and indoor plumbing while Daddy went to school to be come a Baptist Minister. For those years I became very familiar with the out houses and no plumbing indoors, wells and pumps for water. The 3 room school I attended had a very large outhouse, one side for boys, one for girls and a pump like you see in the last photo, outside for drinking water. Daddy's first church was in DeWitt KY and about half of the members had pumps and out houses.

The people of KY welcomed us like we were family, even though they said WE had a funny accent. Ha Ha on that. Since the church was 40 miles of winding, dangerous hairpin mountain roads, we stayed all day at DeWitt and went home each Sunday after morning service, to have dinner and wait for the evening service. Each week we spent the day with a different family. I got to milk cows and climb apple trees and pet great dane puppies. NO daddy said NO to the puppy.

We were sitting at dinner and the man of the house pointed up the mountain that the house was perched on, and said See that far tire up thar?  We said Far? he said yes Far.. much laughter later we figured out it was a FIRE tower up there, not Far tar up thar.

they made fun of us because we said, we will come and pick you up and carry you to church if you need a ride. I loved the people and the lifestyle, but then I was 9 years old. My parents were the ones in culture shock.

One outhouse was built over a small creek, and I hated to use it because the mean attack geese loved to walk around under it. I was terrified of the geese and the fact it was over moving water.

Moving to KY in 1953 was very much like stepping through a time warp back into 1889 or during that time period. I LOVED IT. Except of course for the geese.



When I was 12 we moved 90 miles to Sloan's Valley KY for Daddy's second church he pastored. The parsonage had an outhouse and I walked 3 doors down to get buckets of drinking water, but the house had a cistern that ran rain water into the kitchen sink, for washing hair and cooking by boiling the water on the stove. And for heating to pour in the galvanized tin tub to bathe in every Saturday.
In winter, our kitchen became the bath place, in Summer it was down in the dirt floored, HAUNTED, basement where the coal came in a down spout to burn in the stove, that heated our home.
The only place to dress in winter was behind that blazing stove in the corner of the living room.
My brother and I would jump out from our beds up in the attic rooms, with ice on the inside of the windows and run down the stairs to huddle by that stove.
Guess who was in charge of bring coal up stairs for that stove? 
One of my many chores was taking the slop jar, some call it a chamber pot, out and down the hill to dump in the out house that looked exactly like the first photo today. I did not love that part, and was terrified of spiders/snakes that COULD be in the outhouse. I once took a tumble down the hill in the snow, while wearing my brand new robe my grandmother mailed to me for Christmas, and we had to put that silk robe in the garbage.

The bucket and pump insert, is what we had at the school. I had never seen a pump. I also had never used ONE common dipper to drink water from that bucket. The school had one bucket for all 6 grades, 3 rooms of kids. of course all 6 grades was a total of about 30 kids. My first day when I got thirsty, I took a piece of notebook paper, folded it into a drinking cup, went out side, held it under the pump and PUMPED. ha ha on ME, the gush of water destroyed the cup, I had to drink from the dipper and all the other children thought I was nuts since most of them had pumps at home.
I have always felt blessed to have spent 6 years in this amazing state and loved every moment. Until in the middle of the 9th grade, my parents dragged me crying all 12 hours of the ride, back to Savannah and dumped me in the 9th grade classes that changed by the hour. I was the hillbilly from KY even though I was born in Savannah... 

14 comments:

Linda said...

Oh, Sandra! I love his! I was sorry when I got to the end because I want to hear more! Can you pick up the story where you left off?
Fascinating, the life you have had!

Ginny Hartzler said...

Yes, I was sorry when it ended, too! You have lived in another time and on another planet! How very much you must still appreciate everything modern now.

Anonymous said...

And now, although the past and your early years have molded you, you are still able to remember and recall those memories!!....:)JP

Rose said...

I love it when you talk about your childhood...

Pam said...

What a great story. Thank you for sharing that. My mom was born in Cedartown Ga in 1937. Sounds like KY was behind the times when you moved there.

DeniseinVA said...

I loved reading this Sandra. Great memories! I think there are culture differences not only from country to country but also from State to State.

Sandi said...

"...we lived in a converted chicken coop in my Aunts back yard."

This needs to be a Country Western song!

I am having a hard time picturing the outhouse over the creek. Did you just GO in the creek? And did someone put it there to get revenge on the mean geese?

My Mind's Eye said...

I am very familiar with slop buckets. LOL My Annie Ma had one she used at night. Her house started out as a store on the front that her grandparents owned. Smack in the middle of the city but in the 1800's. ON the side was a small living unit..no plumbing. As the years passed the house was added onto many times. Finally a indoor bathroom complete with all necessities was add but a the very back and it was a long way to travel in the middle of the night. I really enjoyed your post today
Hugs Cecilia
PS hope you and Bob are feeling better

Ida said...

Well you certainly had an interesting childhood. It was a lot of fun reading your story.

Betty Manousos said...

great post, sandra, i loved reading this. thank you for sharing it with us.
lately, anytime i think about a happy memory with my parents, I cry...

Cranberry Morning said...

Whoever longs for that 'simpler time' needs to read this post! Nothing simpler about it! :-) I loved every word of this post, Sandra. We didn't have an outhouse when I was little, but a 'chemical toilet,' which I managed to drop my dad's binoculars into and it ate them up. LOL (I was about 2 at the time) but we did have electricity. My cousin didn't get electricity on their farm in the same county until in the early '50's I think it was. I hope tons of people read this post. We take so much for granted these days. And I believe that your culture shock was not when you were in Kentucky without all the modern conveniences we have now, but when you were taken back to Savannah and had to fit in the school there. Right? Did I already say that I loved this post? yes, indeed!

Gail said...

There were many similar things in our life. You tell your story wonderfully. We must always remember "from whence we came"...and we survived!

Lois said...

I really enjoyed reading this post Sandra. I had some similar experiences growing up whenever we would visit my grandparents and great grandparents in South Georgia. They had pumps and outhouses and a wood burning stove for heat and cooking. I got really good at using the pump when I was a kid. Hated the outhouse though!

Heidrun Khokhar, KleinsteMotte said...

How interesting your youth was It parallels mine in many ways. I shall share them by email as it would be rather long for a comment.
At our farm from 1988 to 2005 we still had a functioning water pump outside our kitchen area. And our furnace could by switched to wood should a need arise though coal had been replaced with oil. And old but unused outhouse remained away from the main house. I was always thought of weird but not hillbilly. Loved reading this.