Saturday, July 28, 2018

Twas a Dark and Stormy Night


photo by Justin Battles, it was on Fox 13, this is the storm I AM TALKING ABOUT. Sunshine Skyway

Monday July 23, It was a dark and stormy night early AM, 5:30 in fact... We stayed home from the YMCA for the sake of lightning! I and my trusty laptop, on battery and not plugged into electric outlet, were ensconced in the rocker, reading emails.

The master was in the kitchen cooking breakfast, KA BAM!

 I say "Did you hear THAT one?"
(Thunder is on the list of things he can't hear)

Yes! heard THAT one! he turns from the stove and walks to the sliding glass door,

PICTURE THIS!
KA BAM! The whole kitchen lit up, we saw the bolt just the other side of the pool...The walls shook, the windows rattled.

 He jumped at least 2 feet off the floor.... Rolling on floor laughing,  I said did you SEE and HEAR that one???

Back in early 2000 something or other, our church was hit by lightning and it took out every thing in the church that was plugged into electric.  AC, sound system, computers and Range and Fridge in the kitchen, Dishwasher to. The Fridge caught fire inside, but with door closed all it did was burn it from inside out. When the door opened the entire inside was burnt black... can you say healthy fear of lightning?

We lost two trees to lighting, 3 years apart. Cost 1200 to take down the 1st and 1500 for the 2nd. OF COURSE Homeowners did not cover it. IT HAS TO FALL ON THE HOUSE to be covered., 🤢


this brought to mind a MEMORY from 1985, Bob and I were standing at the window of our home in St Petersburg, watching our crazy neighbor. Frank was washing his Porsche in a thunder storm, in his driveway with a bucket of soapy water.

As we watched and tried to decide if Frank had a Brain in his head.. so stupid, what a nut.. can you believe this??? KA POW! KA POW!
a double bolt of lighting hit the ground, sparks flew, about 2 feet from HUS feet and he almost jumped higher than the roof of the car.... as he raced inside his house we fell into roars of laughter....

IN FLORDIA we Watch out for lightning. we live in the lightning capital of the US.....
Central Florida is the most lethal  for lightning in USA... and Central Florida IS THE MOST Lethal. We live smack in the middle of it..... AD DING THIS LINK to what it CAN do..HERE

17 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

I did not know this about central Florida! You and Bob are awesome that you can both laugh about these scares afterward. I think I would not be able to, and would be off hiding and praying. But some things you have to laugh, or you will cry. The lightening picture is horrifying! I know in a storm you should not turn on water or shower. You cannot use a land line, but remote phones will not get struck. I wish you had a basement!

Saimi said...

How I love a good thunder and lightening show. When we would have a summer storm I used to sit on the porch with our boys and we would watch it and count between the thunder and lightening. Now never has one come close like you have experienced that would be crazy and kinda scary. What an amazing photo!!!

Linda P said...

We have tremendous thunder and lightning storms in Italy. The flashing light is spectacular
and the bangs echo around the mountains. We keep the storm lamp handy. We had reports of electric storms and flooding yesterday on the tv news here in the UK. We've only had heavy rain showers. However we're expecting more stormy weather when we shall be ready for electric power cuts. From drought conditions we are experiencing extreme weather. Your recent and past experiences sound scary.

Karen said...

We had some VERY loud thunder here last week. I have know people whose houses caught fire because of lightning. Scary. Glad you are safe.

Ann said...

WOW, that picture is pretty awesome. I didn't realize that central Florida was the most lethal for lightning. I've always liked a good lightning show.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari Om
In Africa, India and Australia I experienced some dreadful storms (I don't "do" bangs very well) and it would be the last thing we'd expect in the UK, but as has been said above, due to extreme heat of the past two months, we are now getting these tropical forms of storm. It thundered over the Hutch last night - the first time in my four years here that I have heard that! I keep the curtains closed and the earphones on... YAM xx

eileeninmd said...

Hello, Sandra

That is an awesome capture of the lightning. I am happy to stay inside during a storm and pray no trees fall on our house. I had a girlfriend struck by lightning while she was at a boat show. She was knock out and on the ground when she came to. I am hoping for a dry weekend. Enjoy your day!

My Mind's Eye said...

My word Sandra that would have caused me to have 'clean up' on aisle 7 here.
I'm deathly afraid of lightning.
We had a grad student many years ago from Florida of course he was a Physics major and a science geek. He used to tell me stories about watching lightning.
Hugs Cecilia

Linda said...

Wow!! Y’all were wise to stay inside and unplugged! I love a good storm myself! They can be scary, though.
I’m going back now to visit the link you provided. Not much chance of any weather around here lately....except the heat!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Wow, you neighbor in St. Petersburg was crazy to be washing his car during a storm! Florida has the best lighting. I do love watching it when I am there. What an amazing photo of the Sunshine Skyway.

Mevely317 said...

Good grief! I've seen spectacular lightening, but this takes the cake! Were I on the SS during that storm I'd be needing to change clothes.
I remember being stunned to witness the result of my mom's (hard-wired) landline phone (Port Charlotte) when it was struck by lightening.

I know I'm weird … but when I first spotted a thumbnail of this picture I wondered how you got a shadow shot of my cottage-cheese thigh! On closer inspection, it reminds of me a huge cat sitting and observing the water below.

photowannabe said...

Wow!!!
I don't blame you for having a healthy fear of lightning...I would too.
The neighbor washing his car is just plain stupid....No car is that dirty...to endanger one's own life.
Please stay safe.

Ruth Hiebert said...

From a safe distance, lightening is fascinating to watch, but it is powerful and can be dangerous.

Hootin Anni said...

I remember one time during a storm ... in Colorado...we were out under the covering of our patio roof, dry...safe...and protected! Lightening struck our garage roof and the hair on our HEADS stood straight up. Needless to say, we headed indoors!!

Chatty Crone said...

Oh my goodness Sandra - that was fascinating - you live in the worst place ever for lightening. That would share the day lights out of me. It always sounds so close. I can;t imagine. So Bob heard it and what about poor Jake? Disco gets scared. sandie

DeniseinVA said...

Never knew that about Florida. With those experiences I would be wary too.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Just this week, my cousin who moved to FL full time 3 years ago told me she is planning to move back to PA. Her home had a lightning strike a couple of years ago and she is very worried about a repeat episode. That neighbor did seem a bit crazy, glad he wasnt injured.