Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Queen Of The Night - Epiphyllum oxypetalum # 16




August 22, 2018, at Jakes 3 PM potty break, I looked up in the tree and WOW!

 Twenty Five Blooms were open.
I am surprised I only have 16 Prior Posts on these Giant Magnificent Blooms

The Epiphyllum oxypetalum is better known to me as Queen of the Night or Nightblooming Cactus.

All cereus species are night blooming terrestrial plants, terrestrial plants grow on or from the land.




The pine tree that host this plant is about 3 stories high and the roots you see run from the ground to the top of the tree

Our plant at one time bloom on the ground at the base of the pine tree. Over the past 29 years it has grown to the top of the pine tree, reaching for the sun. The roots climb up the tree, and only has buds that bloom near the top, where  the sun shines on the bud. 

Each flower is 15 to 17 inches long, 12 inches across the top of the flower

16 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Oh wow, they are beautiful. 25 blooms is wonderful, what a lovely sight.
Thanks Jake for the potty break! Enjoy your day!

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Simply stunning! YAM xx

Cranberry Morning said...

This is just incredible! Our cousin, R.I.P. would love to see this post. He had one of those in his flowerbed in SW Wisconsin and taught me how to pronounce that name. It's so fun to say!! He even gave me one, but unfortunately it didn't survive my TLC.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

How gorgeous! It's been a great summer for flowers with the rain we've had! Nice this morning with some leftover clouds. ENJOY!

My Mind's Eye said...

No matter how many times I see this beauty I am in awe!
Hugs cecilia

Linda P said...

It's amazing how the plant uses the tree for support. What a sight to see so many beautiful flowers!

Ginny Hartzler said...

Wow, I LOVE it! I was afraid they were all being eaten by raccoons and you would not have a post this year. Thanks to Jake, or you would not have these pictures. I have not heard of a tree that has roots growing UP, that is against all nature! How did you get these pictures anyway? They are so sharp, detailed, and clear! It is hard to choose, but I think my favorite is the second. With the first being a close runner up!

The Adventures of the LLB Gang said...

WOW! So very pretty...especially against the blue sky!!
xoxo,
Rosy, Jakey & Arty

Gayle said...

That is phenomenal! I can't wait to show the RG, cacti connoisseur that he is. GREAT capture!

Chatty Crone said...

You must have some great soil - 25 blooms over night and they are larger than they look. Very pretty.

Mevely317 said...

WOW! Queens, for sure! (So that's why I was wide awake at 2 this morning?)

In all seriousness, when I have those inexplicable/annoying moments I can't go back to sleep I ask Mr. God, "Is there something you want me to learn?"

Linda said...

That’s really amazing!!! I love how you look up so often! In life and in attitude!

Ann Thompson said...

These are amazing and beautiful. That's fascinating how the roots grew up the tree.

peppylady (Dora) said...

All of my flowers got munch down by the deer and sure is beautiful.
Coffee is on

Ruth Hiebert said...

Those are so gorgeous.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Absolutely beautiful! I am always amazed when you share them with us. Would love to see them in person.