Friday, August 9, 2019

Clathrus ruber mushroom



Clathrus ruber mushroom, of the Stinkhorn Mushroom family. A.K.A. (also know as) basket stinkhorn, red cage mushroom, latticed stinkhorn.
I DID NOT TOUCH it.... It STINKS, it was covered in gnats and ants. soft and squishy about 3 to 4 inches long.
NOTE: the stink draws the bugs, the bugs swarm it and travel afar spreading the spores. OH NO! I don't want a yard full...



I bent over to pick up the tiny avocado, to keep it from being scarfed down by Big Boy, and said out LOUD.. What is this?



I thought someone had thrown a toy or a piece of fruit in the yard, then  I realized it was GROWING I went to get the tiny shovel and dug it up.... When Bob wanted to know what I was doing, I showed him the ugly but beautiful basket shaped mushroom. Neither of us have ever seen one.

Do a search for Clathrus ruber mushroom and you get THESE PHOTOS not mine. Wikipedia is HERE

I made the good choice of not touching it and dumped it in the poop bag that hangs on the fence and said to Leonard Lizard, I hope the bugs on this thing don't kill you.... It was covered in ants and gnats. They love bugs... research found it is poisonous, my apologies to the Lizards that dine on the Poop Bag Buffet.  (in case you are wondering, yes we do have indoor plumbing, the bag is to pick up dog poop so we don't smell like a stinkhorn when we step in it) my niece pays big bucks for a service to come each week and pick hers up. Just so you know.

I used my cell phone to take the pic, my hand was trembling and i could not see the screen. OOPS! but I like it.
Joining LLB in my Backyard for Nature Friday




15 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

Ew, it is hideous. Looks like the infected nose of a big dog. But makes for a super post!

Betty Manousos said...

good morning Sandra! thanks for this informative post. the mushroom looks incredibly weird; i've never seen anything like it.

enjoy your day! xoxo

Hootin Anni said...

THAT is creepy!

Ann said...

My first thought was hou ugly and strange it looks. When I clicked on the link to see the pictures of the others I thought it was really quite fascinating. Still, I wouldn't want a yard full of them either.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari Om
Not a fungus I have seen or heard of before - it is fascinating, but I also would not want one around! YAM xx

Rose said...

I have not seen these before but have the regular stinkhorn. The link to the other photos were quite fascinating.

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

That is one strange looking mushroom. Thanks for sharing the links.
Hope your day is great, happy weekend!

My Mind's Eye said...

OMDs that is a 'face' only a mother mushroom could love
Hugs Cecilia

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

Gross!! I've never heard of such a thing and I hope I never see one in my yard!

photowannabe said...

EWwwww...that is definitely not my kind of mushroom The red is a give away that it is poisonous, stinky ugly. I hope it hasn't "put down roots" in your yard...how awful for BB and the other plants.
I did have mushrooms with my eggs this morning...kind of made me think twice...HaHa.
We are enjoying a few days of cooler weather..the Delta Breeze keeps the air moving and the temps lower. Enjoying it while it lasts. No AC or ceiling fans this morning...helps the electrical bill a little bit.

Mevely317 said...

Good grief! I'd probably be tempted to pour lighter fluid over it and throw a match. I can't help but think it looks like a rubber horror mask. Freddy Kruger, anyone?

Chatty Crone said...

That is disgusting! Yikes. I have never seen one - glad you got rid of it. It was interesting to see this though. sandie

Ruth Hiebert said...

That thing looks gross and from what you describe it must be gross.

The Adventures of the LLB Gang said...

What a cool thing..I would never had guessed it was a mushroon...or that it was stinky!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I'm definitely not a fan of looking at the mushroom!