Sunday, September 1, 2019

Be PREPARED

 


I really do not like Old Age, but since there is only ONE alternative, I think I will Just go with it!

Old age means, sitting for a few minutes between chores. I worked with Bob doing the floors, sat for 20 minutes while they dried, hit the Wal-Mart and for an hour, loading the basket, put them in the car SAT for five minute drive home, took my half of them inside, Bob did the other half, Big Boy watched, then I put away the supplies. Now I am sitting, drinking coffee before I can Rise To The Occasion of putting sheets back on the bed and folding towels and put away.

I will use my down time to show you what I found on the aisles of WM Saturday at 6:15, I went early. HA so did a thousand others.

The shelves were empty, the only bread was this white expensive SaraLee. the Saralee guy was putting it out. It was all white because that is all he had to deliver. The Arnold guy that is always there did not show up.
I assume all 67 counties in our State of Florida have NO BREAD..There is also no bottled water in the state.

When the monster hurricanes LOOM and the NEWS goes Wild, with scary stuff, everyone stocks these items that can be opened and eaten or boiled in water....
The saltine aisle Empty, the canned meat, the pasta, the crackers, the baked beans, fruit, PB and J, all gone...  Lucky for me I never wait until a storm is looming because I know on my birthday week there will be a storm. Always!

  the first of August I start adding the items mentioned above to my Storm Cabinet... I have five gallons of water waiting for the what if storm.

 I did need bread but that was it. I just bought white bread and figured if the storm doesn't kill us, neither will white bread.
I am a Be Prepared Person ...I always have a PLAN! Hurricane season comes every year, always. I start filling Clorox and vinegar gallon jugs with water to be used for anything other than drinking. They are stored behind the recyle cans, under the space where we have no dishwasher.

The Thing is, if the power goes off, when we come out the other side of Dorian or her siblings, I will have gained 10 pounds. But I will be Alive and Old... and full of white bread and PBJ...YUM




21 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

It looks like there are at least five different kinds of Sarah Lee Bread, and no one likes any of it! I guess they are all variations of white. Which at east tastes good. I am like you, but can only do a little before sitting with my feet up to rest. Praying for you!

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
I do hope Dorian loses some energy, having become 'old' by the time it reaches you. Maybe even will require a wee sit doon before moving along. Be safe. YAM xx

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

I hope Dorian heads out in the ocean. When we have the big snow storms here, the shelves are empty of bread, milk and toilet paper. Be safe.
Happy September! Enjoy your day, have a great new week!

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

I'm praying the storm will head more easterly out into the ocean. It was a relief to see that the track was east and northerly this morning. I'm in mid PB County and Friday's report was very scary as it had the storm tracking right over us. I want to be more prepared next year, or next storm, hurricane season isn't over yet.

May you and yours be safe ~ FlowerLady

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

Our stores have been crazy this week! But hubby's going to try to make one more quick trip. We hope and pray it stays out to sea....oh and that we don't gain weight! heehee! Hugs!

Gayle said...

BIG weather is so unpredictable yet it continues to be predicted. Come to think of even everyday mild stuff often doesn't go as 'predicted'. I hope Dorian throws up her hands and heads to sea.

Being prepared is the key to peace of mind either way.

We were to be having a rainy day. The sun is shining brightly---just sayin'

My Mind's Eye said...

MS that last paragraph made me laugh. Bless your heart...
The media scares to poop out of all of us on the East Coast..
They are even say Raleigh is in the reaches of Dorian once it reaches our coast. Of course as we know that crazy lunatic storm is all over the map.

Hugs and prayers as it travels the Atlantic the Bermuda Triangle will suck it up.
Cecilia

Kim@stuffcould.... said...

Rest between, is the secret to getting stuff done! Our stores look that way when they mention Snow ⛄️

DeniseinVA said...

You make me smile Sandra. You have a great attitude and your humor is the same. You, Bob, Big Boy and all those in the path of this storm will be very much on my mind until we see the last of it.

Mevely317 said...

Oh, how you 3 have been on my mind! This looks like a real monster.
I nominate YOU for the state's emergency information officer. After all, they say anything told with humor is more apt to be remembered!

PS - Better to rest here and there vs. trying to do everything at once then collapsing. Tom waited 'til the last minute yesterday, then had to change his shirt before company arrived.

Chatty Crone said...

We have been praying for no hurricane - hope it could just disappear. That is how GA is when we hear snow. I have to go to WM tomorrow - I wonder what it will be like. Enjoy some peanut butter and jelly! Love, sandie

NanaDiana said...

Praying the hurricane swings east and away from FL. After living there, I remember the 'scares'and never actually went through a direct hit. The rain to me is as bad as anything because in FL (at sea level) there is no place for the water to go.

It sounds like you are all prepared -but I hope you don't need to be. xo Diana

Rose said...

I think you plan wisely...I really don't know why more people don't if they know they have that to face every year. As to the resting....there are certain jobs that I get more tired than others...vacuuming being one. It just wears me out and has for a long time. Also, bring in groceries tires me, but I usually struggle through and put them away before I set down. Yes, it beats the alternative...

Hootin Anni said...

We,too, stock up. I begin storage of items like toilet paper/trash bags (in case flooding & street storm drains keep us from flushing)...in April. Food items in May, batteries in june.

Stay safe

photowannabe said...

You are one wise woman...A Girl Scout for sure...Be Prepared...
Your storms are nothing new but this one sounds like a hum dinger..
Praying it will poop out and you won't have to eat too much White Bread and PBJ...
Safety and a few extra pounds will get you through.

Ann said...

You are smart to start stocking up ahead of time. I would think anyone who has lived there for any amount of time would know to be prepared instead of waiting till the last minute.
I hope you don't need any of that stuff you have filling the shelves of your storm cabinet.

Ruth Hiebert said...

The most important part of being ready is to have some kind of food and water and of course shelter. Hope all goes well with you during this storm.

LC said...

Thinking of you and yours. Would be great if sudden cool spell would remarkably cool those waters and defuse the hurricane. Dorian has us Mississippi Gulf Coast residents remembering Katrina.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

You are certainly well prepared, Sandra, and hope that you don’t need to eat the white bread or use any if those other supplies.

DawnTreader said...

I've been practicing sitting or lying down between 'chores' during the day for years... Only have vague memories now of a time when I didn't! Glad to say I still have no experience of such empty shelves in my grocery stores, though. I like to be prepared too - so as not have to go out in bad weather, and in case of a shorter powercut etc - but we don't get the kind of awful hurricanes that you do. Hope it doesn't get too bad for you this season!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Way to go on being prepared!