Saturday, February 15, 2020

Off The Wall


This framed photo of daddy, has hung in our hall, next to the door, since 1993. Below it hung this Gold Four Leaf Clover. A gift from our neighbor Bridgette, fresh from Ireland, with the sweetest lilt in her voice. A wedding gift in 1985, when I came to live in Bob's Home.
           These words are engraved on the back of it.
One leaf is for hope,
And one is for Faith.
And one is for love, you know,
And God put another in for luck.

Last Saturday, I heard a CRASH! Bob was mopping the ceramic tiled hall, and after 1560 times of mopping that hall, the mop handle hit Daddy's frame and OFF THE WALL it went and into 87 million tiny slivers of glass.  (capital letters means loud)

I said "ARE YOU OK? WHAT WAS THAT?" and came running to see him standing barefoot in glass.

He said "STAY BACK, I CAN GET IT! And starts to walk. 

I scream NO, don't move, let me get your shoes, I HAVE TO GET MY SHOES ON FIRST?

He said "I am FINE. I CAN GET IT!  

by this time I am back with his shoes in my hand and mine on my feet, with broom and tiny handheld Vac.
He say "YOU DON"T NEED THAT! I can pick it up!

   I said "YOU DON"T WANT ME TO GET GLASS IN MY FEET" WE NEED THE VAC! What if Big Boy gets glass in his paw?

He says "ITS ONLY UNDER THE FRAME!"

I say "ARE YOU CRAZY?" there are tiny slivers all over the hall, I can see then shining in the light.  
There may have been more SAID, and there may have been fire coming out of our eyes, we are both KNOWN for Drama, when Drama happens.

No feet were harmed by glass, furry or skinned.

The Question is How could this happen with a Lucky Four Leaf Clover on the wall? And after one thousand, five hundred and sixty mopping's?

He has no clue how he did it. Did the Luck where off? Should I hang the photo back up? 
Does it look funny with just the clover there alone?  
So much to ponder. Does 18 carat gold plated mean it is worth something? 
If so would it be bad luck to sell it on ebay?
 For Now the Lucky Clover Hangs out in the hall Alone!



16 comments:

Hootin Anni said...

If you're lucky, you'll figure it out. But, if it were up to me my father's picture would be back up in an instant...new glass and all.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
yeah, what Anni said... YAM xx

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

It was an accident, so I would put your father's picture back up on the wall. I would not sell your leaf clover, it is a nice gift.
Enjoy your day!

Ann said...

Since it happened only once in 1560 times the odds are in your favor. I would hang the picture back up, leave the four leaf clover where it is and carry on. I'm surprised he didn't step in any of the glass though. I guess that kind of proves the four leaf clover is really working :)

Gayle said...

So, another typical day. ;) Glad there were no injuries.

My Mind's Eye said...

oh boy do I hear you on clean up of glass. Madi would be NO where in sight
let something break and lo and behold she was there in a flash. I guess snoopervising but it worried me to death. I'd vacuum, swipe, vacuum and sweep many many times.
Hugs Cecilia

Linda said...

I’m pretty sure you will rehang the portrait! And keep the clover! Neither of you likes change.....
And I’m so glad no one got glass cuts! That’s a miracle!

Mevely317 said...

FIRSt, your daddy was so handsome. (And you look just like him!) Love the smile.
Tom had a similar mishap in the kitchen last year with a glass cereal bowl. It literally EXPLODED (shouting) … and our conversation may or may not have sounded similar to yours. I don't care so much about glass in our feet, as I do the girls' paws. Months later, we were still discovering tiny shards -- even under the microwave. Someone said a good way to check for glass is dabbing a piece of bread all over the area. (No, I haven't tried that.)

Hope you get that picture back up, right together with the clover. (Thumbing my nose at superstition, *smile*)

photowannabe said...

Your Daddy is quite the handsome guy...what a wonderful photo.
Yes it definitely needs to go back up on that wall in it's special place.
Love the clover too.
Glad no feet were harmed by glass, furry or skinned.
Oh the Drama at your home...never a dull moment.
Dave and I are taking it slow today.."recovering" from our evening of serving dinner at Celebrate Recovery.
Got to church at 3:30PM to bring all the "stuff' to another room, set up, make the salad for 80 people, beverages etc. Serve pizza et all, get ready for desserts after their meetings...serve all of that and then clean up and take everything back to the kitchen. Home at 10:45PM...
This old gray mare ain't what she used to be. Its a pleasure to be able to serve together but we sure are tired today.
Between that and my care-giving duties for my friend it seems the weeks just roll by.
I think I need a vacation...not going to happen though...'Sue

Rose said...

By all means hang your dad back in his place...so odd that it happened after all this time. I am glad no blood was shed in this ordeal. But boy, are Roger and Bob ever brothers in spirit. Roger just had to take the garbage out yesterday, would not let me do it, and him so unsteady on his feet. I was going to take it but wanted to wait for it to melt some.

It is much warmer here today...I think it said 39...so feels like a heat wave!

Ruth Hiebert said...

I hope the picture can be reframed and hung again.It certainly carries a lot of memories .

Chatty Crone said...

I don't know how it happens but if you find out - let me know. I would re-frame it and put it somewhere else - it has lived a long there where it was.

CheerfulMonk said...

I'm glad no one was hurt, and yes, put the picture back up.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Yes, you should definitely hang your father;s picture up again, Sandra, once the glass has been replaced. And, no to selling the clover.

Heidrun Khokhar, KleinsteMotte said...

Father photo needs to be reframed with non shatter glass frame and rehung. I love that your drama sounds much like ours. Aging has a way of reverting us back to our childhood ways. Glad not glass hurt anyone.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

OMG I'm sorry that happened. Yes glass goes flying everywhere and I'm glad you got it all and no one was hurt. I say hand that handsome picture of your daddy back up. It was just one of those things. I'm sure the Gold Four Leaf Clover will still be lucky!