Saturday, March 7, 2020

Corvette cont


In yesterdays post, I told a story of the Corvette and ME, the drag racing queen. The 3rd photo in the collage is my 17 year old son, Daniel, Bob and I are standing by the staged cars, the 68 Olds Cutlass belonged to Daniel. No we did not race, but we all three wanted to. Bob was a drag racer, as in trips to Indy and other drag strips, back in the Day before he took on my two teen sons, along with me.

You can tell by the three cars at the top, we both loved fast cars. This is the car below that we replaced with the Corvette. It was an Opel GT, we called it the Baby Vette... OH BABY! I loved that little car and lucky me, Bob loved fast women me enough to take on crazy teens and a crazy wife.

See that red, 1970 Chevy Blazer? We named it Blaze, because it could blaze a black spot on the pavement with the touch of a toe.. It had the ability to raise the front 2 wheels in the air when I scratched off quickly, It also made a nice Sound while doing it...  Yes! Bob was not only a racer, he built race cars. Need I say More?


Bob once drove this Opel so fast over a railroad track, it went air bound, and the battery fell out when we came down so hard. He dragged it a few feet and stopped, replaced the battery in its container, used pliers to pinch the radiator together, where the battery poked a hole and we drove home.
There is something about a low to the ground, fast car, that makes it hard to keep off the gas pedal. It seems I was at one time MadDriver. Way back before I became MadSnapper

NOT TO WORRY! I am safe! I can't get down and into these low riders now and I drive a box of an SUV.. I end with this little tidbit.... I have never had a ticket! But I can't count how many Bob got.

17 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

Wow, what stories, especially about the battery! And you are one Hot Mama!!

CheerfulMonk said...

Andy ad I are with you. We bought our Highlander 18 years ago because we could get in and out easily. No racing here. :)

Hootin Anni said...

Is that you on the hood of the car? Centerfold or Mechanic Illustrated Calender?

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
My word - cool chic!!! I do enjoy a good drive, I must say, but don't think I ever speeded as such. Well, not intentionally... YAM xx

Linda P said...

Great stories and photos. Those were the days! My versatile hubby worked on cars at one time and I wish we still had a vintage or sporty one or two. Now we have a sensible 4 x 4 because of the hills around here. We get our thrills from watching Top Gear UK television programme!

Ann said...

Well look at you speed queen posing on your Opel. That's a sweet looking little car too.
I can't remember what year it was but my ex husband had an Old Cutlass. I know he had it when we were still in high school and I can't remember how long after that. His was the same color as the one in your picture.

Ella said...

Is that you on the hood of the car?
You were / are a bombshell! LOL
I like the cars but not as much as you do!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Thanks for sharing, Sandra, especially those photos! You were looking very fine by those cars and on top on the Opel especially and you still have that great smile😀

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

You look like you could have been a model at the car shows. I enjoyed the story and I am glad you did not get any speeding tickets. have a happy day and a great weekend.

NanaDiana said...

LOL- Well, I had a few tickets with my vette--but from speeding and not realizing it.
My brother's first car was that same Opel and he had it for years. Funny about the railroad track incident. lol
Have a great weekend. xo Diana

Mevely317 said...

Wow! You look like a featured pin-up girl … you know, on one of those enormous calendars men keep in their garages. I'm enjoying these stories so much!

I was the loser who refused to take her Corvette over 80 mph … I've always been a little afraid of speed. Not getting a ticket, but losing control and crashing. A good friend's hubby was killed behind the wheel when his Corvette was in a (single-vehicle) accident and the fiberglass body just exploded.

Rose said...

Oh, my, you guys make me think of Jeremy and also of my nephew. He was once coming from Indy to Clinton and got stopped going 90 on the interstate...he said the policeman told him he needed to slow down...Glen said, 'I didn't tell him I was done slowing down when he caught me." What is funny is it was a truck...I don't know what all he had done to it, but he had it till it would GO!

Chatty Crone said...

Look at you on that car girl - you could be in magazines. So you all loved them fast!!!!!! I agree now - I can't get into low cars either. When we first got married Rick had a corvette - I could get in then - but I was so short I could not see out over the dash!

Jo said...

Oh my, Sandra, what a gorgeous hot (cool?) chick you were. I loved the stories about the racing and racing car builder. What fun!

photowannabe said...

Oh the secrets that come out on blogs.
You definitely were the MadDriver. Amazing cars and an amazing life you have led.
Thanks for sharing these fabulous pictures.
Sue

My Mind's Eye said...

Sandra what a fun post of real and staged...My word your last photo should have been a cover shot for a car magazine...just a beautiful photo of you and the car is ok too
Hugs Cecilia

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Fun story and I love the pictures!