Friday, March 6, 2020

Truth or Fiction


Cassandra stepped from the living room down into the garage. The shiny 78 Corvette waited. The garage was small, meant for a single car only. She slipped between the work bench and the gleaming Vette, opening the door carefully so as not to ding the expensive paint. Settling into the leather bucket seat, with a sigh of joy, she reached to the dash board for sunglasses, sliding them in place and yanking the open-topped white baseball cap down to touch the glasses. 

She turned the key and sat listening with a smile on her face, to the throaty sound of the V8 engine, as with foot on the gas, she pushed the pedal up and down. Vroom! Vroom! Releasing the emergency break, she let the car roll slowly to the end of the driveway. The door opened and she climbed out and removed the tops, one at a time, storing them carefully, one each on top of the washer and dryer.

The sun was bright on the Florida morning, her shopping trip included a morning of several stops. Each time she made a purchase, she had to return home, store the purchase and drive to the next stop. With the tops off, there was no way to leave items untended in the car. It was worth the extra trips, just for the joy of the loud engine, and the sun in her face. Each trip home lengthened her time of driving for sheer pleasure.

Sitting at a traffic signal on the double wide boulevard, a car pulled up in the other lane. Glancing over she saw two young, very young, teenaged boys. She notice the young because she had just turned 40. The boys waved and gave her 2 thumbs up as they devoured the Corvette with their eyes. She returned the thumbs up because their car was a 68 GTO. Her eyes connected with the eyes of the boy behind the wheel, as with a huge grin, he revved his V8, Vroom! Vroom! 
She answered with her Vroom! Vroom!
The light turned green, both cars were OFF, racing side by side, the boys screaming words she could not hear! Her heart raced, her mouth stretched into a huge grin. the Corvette easily pulled half a car length in front, she was beating that GTO! 

Suddenly, her brain said, What are you doing? You are in the middle of down town St Petersburg! 
this is dangerous, and against the law!
She backed off the gas and waved as the teens passed on ahead, waving out their windows!

The End

Truth or Fiction?  IT WAS ME! As a child I intended to change my name to Cassandra, but never did. 

Our fleet of three. to be cont tomorrow










20 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

I am totally STUNNED. No words.

diane b said...

Love it! Love it! You dare devil you.

Ella said...

You really are a writer in heart and soul … Cassandra!
Very beautiful memories ... very beautiful young lady!

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
vroom vroom!!!!!!! YAM xx

Ann said...

Well you little rebel...lol Nice car. When I was in high school my dad bought me a 76 Trans Am. That car was awesome.

Hootin Anni said...

Let's just say - the cops and I were on a first name basis. I paid their wages several years (in tickets). My car was a 63 Chevy 4 on the floor. Then, I upped the ante to a red trans am. Good old days.

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

Great story, I would have never guessed you to be a street racer. My son would love your old corvette. Have a great day!

Rose said...

Jeremy had a Corvette for a while...just a shirt while...he got a good deal.on it and bought it with the intention of selling it and did. But what is funny is Otto loved it...you should have seen his tail start wagging when Jeremy woukd start it.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

What a great and surprised to learn it was true story, Sandra. My brother is a huge Corvette fan and has owned several. I have ridden in any, much less driven one.

Mevely317 said...

Cassandra? I LIKE. A lot, actually.
The way in which you write, I can just visualize that exchange with the teens! Vroom, vroom!

I think my Vette was a 78, too. But I love the color of yours better (than my plain-Jane silver). One of the worst mistakes I've made in my life, buying it.

My Mind's Eye said...

WEll done...I'm saying this is true...
My daughter used to tell us she was going to change her name to Cindy when she grew up?!
Hugs Cecilia

Chatty Crone said...

Cassandra - you are one wild child!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NanaDiana said...

True and true and true. I had a 1966 Corvette stingray and a 1967 Corvette, too. Loved them both...xo Diana

Linda said...

I love this and I love you! What a great memory! You are awesome!

photowannabe said...

I absolutely love this and thought this definitely could be a 40 something Sandra.
That car is totally awesome and if I had had one I probably would have done the same thing.
HaHa, my little Nash Rambler would have been left far behind!
I can't wait for part two.

The Adventures of the LLB Gang said...

WOW! Go Sandra...Varoom!!!

Grandma C said...

I love your writing....More Truth or Fiction that was fun guessing if you actually did that. lol

peppylady (Dora) said...

Sounds pretty wild and crazy

CheerfulMonk said...

You were a lot more adventuresome than I was! Good for you.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I'm guessing it's the truth. I've had a corvette too and had a fun time with it, for a short period of time, in high school.