Saturday, March 28, 2020

Crazy Ponderings-10 Sheet Night



For the purpose of this post. it will help to know, I am now careful to fold TWO SHEETS only of precious solid gold Toilet Paper each time I pee.  Insert apology here, for the word Pee, but urinate sounds just as bad and I can't think of another way to say it. Yes! I use more IF NEEDED for the other word I will not say.

Every night the past week, I slept all night after a day of doing nothing. The night of the 7th day of Lock Down by Virus 19, I had a 10 sheet night because I drank a glass of water and a glass of milk with 5 pm meal...  I was exhausted.

The details are, 2 sheets at PM times of 9:09, 10:11, 11:20 and 12:40. with final 2 sheets at 3:15 at which time I gave up and went to the kitchen because I needed to write this down so I could share it with you. (YES there is a digital clock by the bed)

While standing at the counter, jotting stuff down, I heard the automated coffee pot turn on. It sounded odd, and when I turned to look at it, it was very ODD.

I had filled it with water, left the lid up, pushed the auto button, and left the filter-less and empty basket on the counter. Piping Hot Water was flowing into the pot, and making loud laughing burbles at the idiot who left it that way.

After I corrected the pot to what it should be, I turned to the counter to tear off 1/4 of a papertowel, since I am using that if my nose runs, because I have more paper towels than TP and only 1 small box of Kleenex.

While doing this, I thought, what did they do before Kleenex? Hankerchiefs is the answer. Then I thought, Bob has 3 hankies that are before I married him, which means they are 35 years old.

Then I started to Ponder, do they still sell Hankies? If I decide to buy them, will the hankie shelf be empty?  that made me think about when I was a child and it was my job was to iron all of Daddy's hankies, and mothers also.

 That made me wonder why don't they still put jelly in glasses because when I was ironing hankies, we only had jelly glasses to drink from..
If you remember ironing hankies, drinking from jelly glasses, you might be sharing your age.

If anyone can tell me how I got from TP to Hankies and Jelly Glasses. I am waiting to hear it!









18 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

I used to iron Phil's hankies! And he still uses one sometimes if he is out somewhere. They do sell jelly in pretty glasses still though. Remember, you did a post with one this year, and I went to the grocery store and found it! Hmmm, maybe it is a jar instead. Yes, because you keep something in it. Love the clock coffee maker!

CheerfulMonk said...

:D

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Dad has lots of cotton hankies - I generally do not iron them. There are too many other more dominant needs around here. Very old hankies could double as dabbers in the loo. Or squares of old teeshirt. Keep a plastic-lined bin or bucket to drop them into and run through a hot wash (60'C) for recycling. Don't squirm. My mother used to do that for us when we were camping. Environmentalist even in the 60s! YAM xx

Hootin Anni said...

Jelly sandwiches make you thirsty for hot water from the coffee pot & you may have an allergy to ironing the hankie, so, in turn, you have blog fodder! With fodder comes the need for extra TP

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

I never thought we would come to a day of rationing toilet paper. We do keep a stash of puffs tissues for my nose, I have a runny nose year round. I like the clock with the coffee maker. Take care and enjoy your day!

Rose said...

Laughing at Anni's comment. I remember jelly glasses, andcwhen detergent used to come with 'prizes' in them....I think we had glasses and towels that came in detergent.

Ann said...

You know this is funny because the other day I was in the bathroom and needed to blow my nose but the tissues were in the living room. I looked at the roll of toilet paper and thought "no I can't waste that" then I thought of hankies. My dad always used them and so did my mother. I may have had some when I was a child but I can't recall. I considered them for a minute and thought no, that's just too gross and I don't want to have to wash them.
From TP to jely glasses is courtesy of free association. I do remember those jelly glass jars.

Mevely317 said...

THIS may be my favorite of all your posts … on account I can identify with every one! It made me feel soooo grown-up when mother would let me iron daddy's hankerchiefs. (But first, I had to sprinkle from this tall bottle with a metal cork with holes in it.) The creases had to be 'just so.' Ha!
We use our paper towels to blow noses, too. I only keep Kleenex for when Tom's rich sister visits. Tom hates he can no longer find the full-size sheets - but I'm loving the 3-for-1 kind.
You know, don't you -- I'll never pee again without remembering this. Then, I'll start giggling and have to use more.

My Mind's Eye said...

Oh yes I ironed hankies when I stayed with my (paternal) grandma.
She always had an endless pile waiting for my attention.

I will post an alternate word for pee (I agree urinate doesn't roll off the tongue as easily as pee and it kinda make the ears ring.
Hugs Cecilia

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

It doesn't matter HOW you got there, Sandra, just that you did...or did you? Anyway, where was I. Now I remember, hankies, Pat uses handkerchiefs all the time and they look like blue paisley bandanas. he never has tissues in his pockets, ever! Yes, we are also being more careful with the TP although not measuring as precisely. We are being careful and perhaps even drinking a bit less water and coffee as a result. I DO remember jelly jars which were drinking glasses that many people collected as some came in sets.

Chatty Crone said...

Your mind has nothing else to do than wonder!

Two paper sheets pee is okay - doesn't help the other end!

Linda said...

I feel extravagantbas I permit myself to use 3 sheets to pee. Maybe I will cut back.....
I’m going out next Tuesday at 8:00 to the senior shopping hour at Walgreens. Hoping they have TP!
I used handkerchiefs and have a box of men’s big white ones for Louis Dean. He uses a lot of paper towels and I told him we need to conserve them! When I give him his plate of food, I hand him a tea towel. Now every morning I give him a white handkerchief to tuck in his overall pocket. We are a bunch of creative people when we need to be!

DeniseinVA said...

It's the snowball effect ;) This made me laugh. Thank you!!!

DawnTreader said...

I still use hankies - some of them inherited from my parents. Not all that long before my mum passed away, she said some new hankies would be a welcome Christmas gift, so I made a raid through several shops trying to find some - and when I finally found a place that did still sold them (a men's clothes shop - and they kept them behind the counter) I bought some for myself as well. (They probably never sold that many hankies in one day before!) I use them primarily when I don't really have a cold - as I also have allergies, I often find them more gentle on my poor nose than paper tissues. So I usually have some hankies in my washing every week!

As for toilet paper (and kitchen paper as well=, I was not able to get any with my last order from the supermarket - but the next day I went to my convenience store (really for something else), and they had plenty! I only bought one normal size pack of each, though - thinking of all the older people in the neighbourhood who may have even less opportunity of shopping elsewhere. Somehow I felt strangely comforted just by seeing those stacks of paper in that little shop. (Although perhaps those were really the last ones in the world. What do I know!)

Ruth Hiebert said...

I have ironed many a hanky, but we never did use jelly glasses to drink from. Your coffee pot dilemma reminded of what happened at my house recently. I had the coffee maker set to brew half a pot of coffee, everything was fine except that by mistake, I had closed the drip filter on the coffee basket.So,I had a basket full of coffee and almost none in the pot.

peppylady (Dora) said...

We could say taking a wiz or leak.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I know how you got there....our minds wander after a certain age! hahaha! And yes, I remember well! I'm using less paper products now too. I'm using more of my kitchen towels in the kitchen to save on paper towels. I'm glad I have enough Kleenex during this pollen season! Take care and stay safe! Hugs!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Good job on the use of the toilet paper when you pee! I still haven't found any to buy except for some random stuff on Amazon which I will order at some point if we don't find what we want. We have plenty of Kleenex since we buy in supply at Costco and it lasts use for months on end. Yes they still sell handkerchiefs! My mom did all the ironing. We were never big jelly eaters but I do remember some cute jelly jars that were made like cups with comics on them.