Friday, March 27, 2020

Salt N Pepper-FFF




If you are not already singing with me, here it HERE

See the resemblance? Linda Chapman did, so you have her comment to thank for this post on FFF-Final Friday Fiction. Truth for Fiction?

Memories of Salt & Pepper

Maggie sat at her desk, with headsets on, waiting for the line to bounce to her next. She sighed as she waited for the next order on the Sears Telephone Catalog sales order line. When she started that job five years ago, she never intended to stay there. As she waited, she thought of the job posting on the wall outside the door..  Wanted: typesetter for Sign Shop in Display Dept...  She had stared at the sign wondering just what a typesetter was and if she could do it. Anything would be better than answer hundreds of calls a day.

The end of her four hour shift finally arrived and as she stepped out in the hall she made a right turn, opened the door and stepped in the sign shop... The woman at the sign machine, turned with a huge smile lighting up her African American face. Hi, I'm Niota, can I help you? Maggie answered, "I am interested in the job posting, can you tell me just what is a typesetter? After much laughter, the first of many laughter filled hours for the two of them, Niota answered "Let me show you"

Thus began 2 years of a close relationship. The display manager hired Maggie and Niota trained her. Learning to set type was not easy. Each letter had to be set backwards and it read from right to left, not left to right.
Giggles exploded each time Maggie proudly displayed a sign and was told the N was backwards.

A year passed quickly, and a new position was available in the display dept. Niota had left the sign making and worked dressing the mannequins and setting up displays. With way to much to be done by one person, she needed an assistant. Maggie applies and the two of them became best friends and were known all over the Sears store as, Salt & Pepper.

Salt & Pepper were required to do most of their work in the 4 hours before the store opened to the public. The two of the laughed and giggled and joked while dressing the mannequins.

The day of a big event came, and they were required to set up a stage outside the Sears entrance in front of the doorway. Salt & Pepper dragged the stages out, set up the microphones and podiums, and needed to test the microphones.  While tapping the mike, they looked at each other and suddenly they were singing together, Stop In the Name of Love, before you break my heart, with hands out and dancing. Bursting into loud laughter they stopped singing when the display manger came to the door.

The next morning the Manager said before you go out on the floor, I need to speak to both of you. I have had a couple of division managers tell me you are laughing and playing instead of working. I know you are doing your job because every thing I assign to you is done well and on time. Just PLEASE, keep your fun quiet. I know your doing your job, but they don't.

Both women continued to laugh and have a wonderful time, but they kept the lids on their Salt N Pepper.

Yes this is true, the names have been changed to protect the innocent. My second choice to change my name from Sandra to become Maggie.


Joining Yam in Final Friday Fiction

13 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

I just knew it was you. What a delightful story!! Did you keep up with her; do you know whatever happened to her? WAIT! I just noticed it says Friday Fiction. DARN, it isn't true?

Ann said...

I knew it was you and I knew it was true. What a wonderful story. Having someone to work with that you can laugh with makes working so much easier.

Hootin Anni said...

Keep it quiet?! How when you're making it to the top ten on the billboard? Makes me think of American Bandstand!

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Hehehehe - another wonderful offering to FFF dear blogpal. LOVED this. To Ginny above; not fiction per se, but fictionalised. And the title of my meme was from four years back - this year, it has relaxed a bit to bring more folk in. Like Sandra/Maggie here!!! YAM xx

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

What a great story. Everyone should have such fun while at work! It would make the job more enjoyable. Well done! Have a great day!

My Mind's Eye said...

Oh what a great FFF. MS I'm so glad you joined us. Your stories always amaze and delight me. Loved the Supremes. They paved the path for all the girl groups in the 60's.

Hugs Cecilia

Pam said...

Great story....STOP IN THE NAME OF LOVE!

Rose said...

Oh, gosh, this is a good story! That it is true makes it even better.

Mevely317 said...

Back in the day, that was one of my favorite songs! You made me remember a couple jobs I loved -- where (sometimes inappropriate) hilarity took place. Good times! I could totally visualize you gals. Now, won't you please let us know whatever happened to 'Pepper'!

photowannabe said...

Love, Love, Love the Salt and Pepper story.
So many Sears memories....my Dad and Hubby were both Division Mgrs. at one time too. I know they wouldn't have been the stick in the muds to your fun times. In fact I think my Hubby would have been up there with you and singing in his great bass voice.
Love the Friday Fiction.
Sue

The Adventures of the LLB Gang said...

Such a wonderful story for FFF Magg, I mean Sandra!

Ruth Hiebert said...

Sounds like a fun work environment .

DeniseinVA said...

That is just the best story Sandra, and best of all it was part of your life. What a neat friendship you both had and this is a great memory :)