Tuesday, June 16, 2020

Corona - 19 and the Hurricane


My Kitchen table and counter/stove after my last shopping trip to Wal-Mart. Everything on the counter, stove and table top, came out of the bottom cabinet that has the green towel hanging on it. 

Why do builders make cabinets that go from stove to wall with NO access except that tiny door?

Six water bowls from Angel Dogs
3 insulated cooler things that have not been used in 20 years, since Bob retired.

(before you ask, yes the cabinet has been cleaned a few times, in 20 years but each time Bob said, I MAY NEED THOSE plus, he said this time, they are insulated, what if we need them during a storm?)

A LID only to a pan that was burned to a crisp and tossed. 
 had no idea the lid was BACK in that corner.
(I am OLD, I can't see or reach back that far)
No idea the blender or coffee pot were BACK in the corner.
Coffee pot was our travel pot.. When my parents were living and we took one with us because they drank instant coffee, we don't. Also until 2005 we went on a twice a year vacation with that pot. I think 5 from 20 is 15 which makes 15 years since we last used it.

This was not Just Because

The Local Weather Man made this statement.
"It's Hurricane Season Florida.
Don't wait to stock hurricane supplies.
Don't wait until a storm is looming!
His closing statement? Remember, we have already had 3 named storms and 2 were before the season started on June 1st, this is rare..
The pandemic has emptied the shelves, stock up while you can!"

I needed that cabinet for the $174.00 I bought to ADD to the already Pandemic Stock. No room. I had to shift the junk to trash can and bedroom closet shelf! 
Now I question what I did,
 Am I a hoarder?
Why did I not buy WATER?
ON NO! we have nothing to heat water...... the 3 burner grill bit the dust.
Do I need to shop again?
Am I a hoarder?
Should I be putting out in public that I may be a hoarder?
Now I fret over a pandemic up tick during a hurricane. 
Will it spread the germs faster? Will it matter if we have food and wipes? Will we be to sick to care if we get blown away?
Will we be able to keep a mask on our face during a hurricane?????



20 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

No, you are not a hoarder. You did the reasonable thing that the media is telling you to do. Be prepared is the boy scout motto, and for good reason. You have not seen hoarding till you have seen our back bedroom stuffed high with toilet paper, paper towels, wipes, latex gloves, and masks. You did good. You made room in a cabinet, we have an entire ROOM. It was done gradually though. We read that every time you go to the store, buy at least one package extra.

CheerfulMonk said...

Yes, you are not a hoarder. They warned us in the beginning to be prepared for a month. Then they complained about hoarding, just do you regular shopping. Of course, if you end up short of supplies they would say, "Why weren't you prepared? We warned you."

easyweimaraner said...

you are goot prepared, but definitely no hoarder... it is a better felling to know we don't have to go out for a while... I meanwhile fear people and avoid it to be in "civilization"

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
...yeah, what the others said... &*> YAM xx

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

I agree with the others, you are not a hoarder. Living near the path of hurricanes and I can why you need to always be stocked and prepared.
Covid just adds more to that stock. Try not to worry, it takes the joy out of life. Have a great day!

Ann said...

If I say you are a hoarder then I have to call myself one as well. I have lots of things in my house that have not been used in years but for some reason I don't/can't get rid of them.
I've never had to stock up for a hurricane or other types of weather so what you are doing there sounds reasonable to me.

Hootin Anni said...

Y'know Bud & I do the same thing. I don't consider it being a hoarder...just wise. We've lived thru tropical storms & hurricanes like you, we prepare. And what Bob said "I may need that" ...sounds Just like Bud.

Mevely317 said...

Pretty sure whoever designed your kitchen did ours, as well. Is your refrigerator just to the right, out of camera range? My cabinets/stove layout looks identical, and I feel like a contortionist to look all the way back. Need to visit Harbor Freight and find one of those 'grabber' devices before I get stuck some day.
Nope, I don't think you're a hoarder at all … wise, I'd say. My mom used to do the same thing. It was never "if the hurricane comes", but "When …."

Rose said...

No,you are just being sane...trying to prepare while it is still easy. You just now made me think...our grill has to be plugged in to turn it on! Our daughter got it for us, and did not realize it had to be plugged in. And I had never heard of that either.

My Mind's Eye said...

Oh boy do I hear you Sandra...double whammies with C19 and Hurricane season.
One can never have enough during these times.
I have plenty of water. Always kept extra in garage fridge for Angel Madi and us should we need it.
Hugs Cecilia

Ruth Hiebert said...

I dislike cabinets that are hard to get at. I have purchased plastic bins for some of mine. At least that way I can pull the bin out and reach what I need.

photowannabe said...

It sounds like all of us are good "Boy Scouts"...
Be prepared is better than desperately needed something and not being able to find it.
Since it has been so difficult to find some things, when I see Tp I buy some.
We don't have the weather like you do but we have always had more than we need for that week. I have been known to share supplies with daughter in law and close friend too. We're all in this together.
No you aren't a hoarder...the back of cupboards and cabinets tend to eat things that aren't used on a regular basis. When you do find them it's like Christmas all over again..(:0)
Sue

Debby@Just Breathe said...

No you're not a hoarder! You have to have the supplies. Praying that the hurricanes will not get out of control.

Linda P said...

Sorry to hear about the hurricanes. That's not good news. I know you'll be prepared, but pray that you stay safe through this time. I have fitted kitchen cupboards where the corner one is awkward to store things and some items disappear until I decide to investigate when doing a deep clean. I wish I had thought more about the design when we had the units fitted and watched what was going on.

Martha said...

I've been tossing and tossing during the pandemic but I'm in Florida too and definitely still keeping my hurricane supplies stocked, that's definitely not hoarding, no worries :)

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

There is no winning the debate on whether to hoard or not. On one hand, folks are told to stock up for an emergency like the virus or natural disasters, then cautioned not to over=buy. I think, Sandra, that we all have to determine how much is too much and then go from there. Yes, it is amazing how much stuff you can find in a cabinet !

The Adventures of the LLB Gang said...

You are prepared, a big difference from hoarder!!!

Chatty Crone said...

Oh my gosh I have one of those darn cabinets - I hate them. I can't get in them either. And NO, you are not a hoarder! I would and have done exactly like what you did!!!!!!

DeniseinVA said...

No, I think you were prepared. We didn't really know how long this was going to be initially, and as someone mentioned we were told to have enough food for a month. Enjoyed the look into your kitchen and I really like those white cabinets.

ClickNCamera said...

Some people may think you are a hoarder, but not me! You are being prepared. I was an inventory planner and buyer a couple decades ago, so I can't help myself. It's my thing. We still have trouble buying hand sanitizer in Oklahoma, so when I see rubbing alcohol and aloe vera, I grab it. And probably will until I see hand sanitizer on the shelves. I've been able to share homemade hand sanitizer with people, so it's a good thing! Be safe.