Wednesday, July 29, 2020

Walking Man Wordy Wed...


When we're out walking we run into this man that is walking pretty fast and he swings is arms back and forth and we always speak and nod and he speaks to the dog but does not pet him and  I think he's afraid of dogs because he gets way over to the other side.
 We see him almost every day when we walk BIG but last week I met him while by myself and we fell into a 30-minute chat in the middle of the street!

The  next day we saw him and I said to Bob he's the same age as you are and he has a wife who's computer literate and he can only use a flip phone and he was in the Vietnam War and you see that Banyan Tree right there?

He was told me about the biggest Banyan Tree in the world  that was so big it covered the whole town and they used it for a flea market! They put the wares out under it and when the monsoon rains came the rain did not fall under the tree. It was that thick. It's in Malaysia where he went for R and R when he was wounded, twice. that was 50 years ago, I did find one like what he described in Hawaii HERE

 His name is John.

Bob says how do you know all that?

 I said because I met him when you weren't with me! 

19 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

I adore this story! It s like from a fairy tale. You always draw out the best in people. e-mail me whenever you can after the surgery. I will be waiting to hear, and praying. I know he will be fine, and I for sure KNOW what you are going thru. Maybe I am the only person who really does.

DeniseinVA said...

I love meeting people like this and hearing their stories. He told you a fascinating one.

DeniseinVA said...

Made me laugh at the end of your post.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
That's wonderful storytelling... nothing beats a stranger-chat!!! YAM xx

CheerfulMonk said...

I love that last line, and the rest of the story. Good for you! I would never learn that much, I just don't have your knack.

Ann said...

It always amazes me how easily you meet people and strike up conversations. You sure learned a lot about that guy in one conversation

Hootin Anni said...

I'm choking! This is rich, your rendezvous with John is one for the books.

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

It was nice you had a great chat with your neighbor John. It is amazing how fast you can learn all about a person. Great story.
Take care, enjoy your day!

Rose said...

You could write a book...seriously. Meet in the Street Acquaintances or Friends I Have Met...

Gayle said...

So, are you saying it was not Big but Bob that this fella was afraid of? haha

My Mind's Eye said...

WTG MS you got John talking as fast as he swings his arms!!
I bet Bob was in awe of your knowledge
Hugs Cecilia

Inger said...

This is a wonderful post about what we miss when we don't interact with others. You would have liked Errol, he would talk to people he didn't know all the time. I like to chat with people too, and now I can't and I miss it. I would talk to people in the stores for example and enjoy it so much. I'm going to the post office -- a highlight of my week. Hopefully my medical supplies will have arrived.

Chatty Crone said...

Oh my gosh - that is too funny. I love it. Same here, but I am not quite as outgoing as you - but way more than my family!

Chatty Crone said...

Can I borrow your moving lips?

photowannabe said...

Absolutely love your "punch line"
I would have loved to see Bob's reaction to that.
I love chatting with people as we take our walks too. Dave is usually the conversation started.
Great info that you gleaned too.
Off now to get my lab work done for my annual.
Praying for you
Sue

Ruth Hiebert said...

It is interesting what we can all learn when we stop to chat with someone.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Well you found out some interesting things. Sometimes that is exactly what we need. Right place, right time!

Mevely317 said...

I love this soooo much. Like Barbara Walters, getting folks to bare their souls. I, too, would have loved to see Bob's face. (Hope he didn't get jealous!)

The Adventures of the LLB Gang said...

Go Sandra LOL! I really like that you have never met a stranger!

I've seen that Banyan tree. It's in Lahaina on the island of Maui...it is humongous!!