Friday, August 28, 2020

First Pick Avocado Nature Friday



July 18, 2020, first Pick of the year. We count 7 that he can reach to pick. Others we wait for the squirrels to knock them down or for them to drop. 
This is the perfect size, they get HUGE if they stay on the tree.
click on HUGE to see how HUGE
We don't know why we have no squirrels eating them, this is the first year ever Bob picked one before we found them with bite marks and on the ground.
Until 2 years ago, we had so many we had to give them away. For some reason, maybe lack of water, there are only a few. He grew the tree from a seed. 
Our tree is amazing. Click here for a quick scroll 
OR NOT...
This post has been in drafts since July 18th. We found out why the squirrels are not eating them. they are hard as rocks and taste bitter, even after it shriveled and looked ripe.
We threw the ones Bob could not eat out in the front yard, and usualy overnight they are gone by squirrles, possums and raccoons. 
Two days later they were still there, with only 2 bites out of each one.
I googled and it says if you heat an avacdo, as in cook it, it will turn bitter.
All the fruit on the tree has been cooking since April in horrible heat. we think that is the cause. 
HEAT WAVE. I know this is true because the heatwave has turned me bitter
this photo below was taken Aug 15th
These three are hanging so low that I can almost touch them, Bob is taller and can almost and my son Daniel at 6'5'' could pick them without a ladder.
The tree is full but they are so far not edible
Color me embarassed, I checked and every August for years I do a post on this tree.
OH WELL



16 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Wow, I am sorry your Avocados are tasting bitter. They look so good.
I always have trouble picking good ones out at the food stores.
Commenting this morning, I have to click on the I am not a robot, I wonder why? Take care, enjoy your day!

Rose said...

I hate that they are not edible....just call the post your Annual Avocado Report...those ones in that first link back to the Three Amigos...I forget your name for them. (MInd you I just read their names about 5 seconds ago)...anyway, they are huge!

I do believe that about the heat. I always think my late tomatoes get sunburned. Can mostly still eat them...they just look different.

My Mind's Eye said...

Well thank goodness Gigi Google had an answer. What is one supposed to do FL when it is hot as blue blazes 9 months of the year!! They sure are pretty
Hugs Cecilia

Mevely317 said...

Your triplets look like something straight out of Ripley's Believe it or Not! I had no idea they grew so large. (OK, I don't know much except what I see in the grocer's produce section.) Bitter or not, y'all must have some amazing soil.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
That is such a shame coz nothing beats a good avocado... I have made icecream with them, and a summer soup eaten cold... they are one of nature's beat packaged foods! Yes the heat will be a part of it - but the drought caused by that heat is the more likely culprit. YAM xx

Martha said...

That stinks! The heat has made me bitter as well and it's still going strong with no relief in sight - sigh.

Ruth Hiebert said...

That is interesting that the heat would affect the fruit on the tree.

photowannabe said...

I love avocados...what a shame they are bitter. Didn't know squirrels were that picky...You definitely need a break in your heat and some drought breaking...so soad.
Sue

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Adam and Gabby's tree were really bitter last year. Very large tree that has been around since the 50's. As of a few weeks ago it is now gone because they are having a pool put in and roots needed to go!

Chatty Crone said...

Darn they look so good - sorry - maybe they will taste better. I would blog about this accomplishment too! From a seed!

Linda P said...

What a shame the heat means the avocados have been cooking on the tree and are bitter. Hubby grew an avocado from a seed but in our climate just stayed a spindly, leafy thing.

The Adventures of the LLB Gang said...

That's so sad...I love avocados!

Ann said...

Too bad about the avocados. I personally don't like them. I've tried them and found them very disgusting...lol

CheerfulMonk said...

We love avocados but for some reason the last ones we bought are starting to rot before they ripen. I was so excited when I saw that your post was going to be about your tree. That's sad about the heat. :(

I called Andy in to read your post about the huge avocados. Those pictures are fantastic. :D

Betty Manousos said...

oh no! i'm sorry your avocados are tasting bitter; that's sad. i love avocados. i would have never thought that heat would affect the fruit.

big hugs!

Ida said...

How cool that you have been able to actually grow a tree and have avocados on it. Weird that squirrel like them.