Thursday, September 24, 2020

Memories on Throwback Thursday

 


Bob brought a package in from the mail box this week, inside was this old photo, The frames says, Some moments we never forget, because our lives are changed forever!

A note from my cousin said, do you remember the old play house daddy built us? Of course I did. She and I were once trapped in there with a LIZARD in the door way, we screamed until someone came to move it....

Think way back to 1949! I am on the left, the tall one, my 1st Cousin Andrea, daughter to my dad's sister, is on the right.. We were 5 that summer, my brother was a year old. I had lived in a one room apartment with my parents, and we needed more room and Daddy was a meat cutter at a local grocery story. I am 4 months older than Andrea.

The 2 story house is Aunt Helens house, the little shed is a Play house Uncle Jimmy built for us to play in. Look just over my shoulder and that is the chicken coop that was remodeled into a 2 bedrooms, 1 bath, 1 closet, kitchen living room house for my family to live in. 

Yes it was clean. a box with 4 rooms, and 7 doors. Daddy laid linoleum down on the floors, and on the counters and cabinets they built in the kitchen, The bedroom for my brother and I was 2 feet wider than 2 army cots that fit in the corners. The kind with the old blue striped ticking mattress. 

We grew up best friends, more sisters than cousins. We moved to Kentucky when I was 10 but came back next door to Andrea when I was 15, but by that time it was a house Uncle Jimmy built for us, Daddy paid 5,000 dollars, 50 dollars a month for that house that was built in 1952. While we were in KY it was rented out to pay the payments. I lived there until I married in 1963 and Mama and Daddy moved out in 1987 when it was taken by eminent domain and torn down.



20 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

What a story! You COULD write a book! You are so sweet and beautiful! And you really knew how to pose. Where does your cousin live now, and do you ever talk to each other?

Linda said...

I love hearing about your life!! MORE! Please.....

easyweimaraner said...

that was such a sweet story... we loved it so much!!!!

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM'
Aw heck, Sandra - this was brilliant - and would have been great for tomorrow's FFF! Tell us another!!!!!!! YAM xx

Hootin Anni said...

Oh, Sandra, this is such a good post. Not that you were poor...just the friendship of it all--good memories. If it were me & my cousin tho we'd be covered in mud from playing IN the mud/dirt. Your outfits are spotless!!

eileeninmd said...

Good morning,

What a great story of your childhood. You are a great story teller. Sweet photo of you and your cousin. I like the picture frame, it is pretty. Take care, enjoy your day!

Ann said...

Love hearing the story about you growing up. What a sweet picture of you and your cousin and that picture frame is really nice.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Times were harder years ago, but people made the best of them, like your family, Sandra. When I read that you all lived in a former chicken coop, I wondered how that was possible. Thanks for the rest if the story. Do you and your cousin keep in touch?

Mevely317 said...

I love LOVE this so much. What a thoughtful, out-of-the-blue gift from your cousin, and I totally agree with that verse on the frame. Look how happy you look. You're proof positive, it doesn't take one's circumstances to be happy, just love.

Martha said...

Such sweet memories! I had a cousin that I grew up with that was more like a sister too. I'm sorry the property was eventually taken by eminent domain and torn down. I love that your cousin sent you this surprise!

DeniseinVA said...

A lovely photo and a very thoughtful gift from your cousin. It’s a wonderful image with you two, along with those great memories.

My Mind's Eye said...

Your house was full of love,family and memories and that is what counts
This is a beautiful story thank you for sharing
Hugs Ceclia

Chatty Crone said...

What a sweet gift to receive and boy you have a great memory! loved this.

Rose said...

I read this early this morning on phone but wanted to see it on computer. Loved reading all of this...you two were sure cute.

The Adventures of the LLB Gang said...

Such an adorable smile you have, even way back when! Such a lovely story, Sandra, thanks so much for sharing it!!

photowannabe said...

Life is so full of memories...some good and some difficult.
I can't imagine living in such small quarters but you had a very resourceful Daddy and you learned to make the best of things.
Loved the part about screaming over the lizard...considering your love for them now..(:0)
Sue

Ruth Hiebert said...

Priceless memories and such a cute picture.

CheerfulMonk said...

What a great story! And your smile then was just as radiant as your smiles now.

Betty Manousos said...

what a wonderful post, Sandra! precious memories. beautiful photo. that's a thoughtful gift from your cousin. i love hearing about your life.

happy friday, enjoy your day!

big hugs!

Heidrun Khokhar, KleinsteMotte said...

Humble beginnings like many of us back in the 40’s and 50*s.
It is a lovely gift you got that day in the mail box.