Monday, October 5, 2020

Desoto Square Mall

 

A couple of weeks ago, I posted a diner photo of bar stools in our Desoto Square Mall.

Monday, Sept 28 we rode Our Big Boy over to the County Voting Site and dropped off our absentee ballots. They have a lock box, slot in the wall to drop them in. We Voted!



Across the street was our Desoto Square Mall, I drove over to mourn the loss of this still beautiful mall. The four major stores are gone, Dillard's, Macy, Sears and Penny. There is a furniture store and a few small business left, the theaters and food courts and restaurants are long gone. 

We have fond memories of this mall. My husband opened the new Mall as Backshop manager of the Sears Auto Center in 1972 on the first day it opened. In May of 1984, I was hired as the car jockey in the Sears Automotive and that is where we met. We worked together there until we got married and I had to transfer to another store. No couples allowed in same store.

It was and is a beautiful mall, but times have changed. It might now become a distribution center for Amazon. 



In the past we walked the mall, shopped the mall, ate in the mall, we looked at wedding rings, stared into each others eyes across the auto garage  and even had a birthday lunch a few years ago in the food court.

 He could get Philly Cheese steak and I could have Chic Fi La...Gone.

 to browse a few of my photos of the mall click HERE  

 to be continued tomorrow, the photos I took on our ride this week. The ingenious things they are using to make money on the wasted space of ACRES and Acres of parking spaces. below from MAPS you can see all the empty parking spaces.   Part 2, tomorrow



20 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

I can't wait to see what they are doing in the huge parking lot. Even before Covid, malls were going under, I don't know why! The closest mall to here is now a ghost town. I think it's just a shame. They are so good for shopping in bad weather, and for people to mall walk for their exercise.

easyweimaraner said...

it's always bittersweet for me to see the changes... specially when it comes to places what have memories... we tried to visit a restaurant where we had our first dinner in brittany... it's a nail salon now... oh my ;O)

CheerfulMonk said...

I know what you mean. 😢

Yamini MacLean said...

hari om
Yeah, it was happening before COVID, but this year has sealed the deal on shopping online and getting everything delivered to the door... The change was on its way but has been hastened. YAM xx

Hootin Anni said...

I like the fact of YOUR history associated with the mall.

Linda P said...

I love the shadow shots in you photos of the mall and the stories of your work and leisure life in that shopping centre. These retail and leisure malls are having a hard time now as people are shopping on line. I had to go to our mega mall for my optician's appointment recently, but used a seperate entrance to it so didn't go right in and browse the rest of the shops. You need a car to get to out-of-town malls which is another problem when few people are using public transport due to the virus.

Ann said...

That is so sad that all those businesses have gone out. The closest mall we have here is open but I haven't been there. I'm not sure what stores opened back up and which ones may never open again.

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

The same thing is happening with the malls here, the big stores close down and then the smaller stores do not attract enough business.
We have had some malls torn down. My son had a part time job in Sears Automotive dept for a short time. Take care, enjoy your day! Wishing you a happy new week!

Rose said...

We still have a Penney's at the mall, but the other big dot stores are all gone. And I miss them. I do not like to buy clothes without trying them on.

Mevely317 said...

I remember that mall! Sign of the times, I guess ... but the demise of this, and others, makes me sad.
It's been a very long time I caught someone's eyes across a crowded room. What great memories!

My Mind's Eye said...

Oh dear another victim of 2020 and of course everyone online shopping.
Crabtree Valley Mall where we used to walk in the winter is still hanging on.
Thus far we have not walked in side there since March. We do walk around the outside and parking lot.

Hugs Cecilia

Chatty Crone said...

Nice story of how you and Bob met. We have a mall here called Town Center and it is slowly dying a painful death. It is huge. I wonder what they will do with ours? No one shops in the mall anymore including myself.

photowannabe said...

Our Mall looks pretty much the same way as yours.
Its so sad. History of our working at Sears is the same. Glad we were out of it before things changed so drastically.
Our rings were from Sears too...why not get the discount?
Its so sad about Malls.
So many jobs just disappeared.
Our absentee ballots are suppose to come in the mail today..we'll see...
I've got a few errands to run this morning and then it's back to cleaning a closet..you would think that with only 2 of us in the house we wouldn't need to this so often..but time and "things" seem to pile up.
Sue

Debby@Just Breathe said...

It's all so sad. Our malls are failing too. I use to walk the mall for exercise back when the kids were in school. They would open before the stores opened.

The Adventures of the LLB Gang said...

We agree with everyone...so very sad!

Ruth Hiebert said...

It is sad to see these malls standing empty or almost empty .

Inger said...

That mall has a part of your history and what must be so many sweet memories.

Linda said...

I loved hearing the story of you and Bob and the mall.....
and seeing all the photos from your past posts.
so much has changed. and everything keeps changing.....

The Happy Whisk said...

Oh my gosh, I loved reading this post. I love that you meet there. How cool is that. Yes, that would be a special mall to me too. I totally get that. Very, very cool story. Thank you for sharing. Cheers and boogie boogie, Ivy.

DeniseinVA said...

That's lovely to hear about you and Bob. A sentimental journey for you both.