Tuesday, November 17, 2020

Waiting for Eta TS/Hurricane Day, PM

Finally is is AFTERNOON cont from yesterday....

Is it 3 pm yet? can I have my afternoon snack??

I receive text from son that he is tying down the boats at the yacht club, 
Mom any update on the storm?

I send him news, warnings, photos of radar
Decide to take a nap, after all it is 12:30 PM

Lay down with my Kindle to read, and just as my eyes are heavy and I start to doze
woooooooooooooo woooooooooo wooooooooooooo woooooooooo
what the heck is that?

I run in the living room and Beau is standing wild eyed like what IS THAT?
WHAT is that?

It is the weather radio 
The one I purchased In April, during the Virus Shutdown, when I was battling HUNGER from boredom and purchased it from Amazon for JUST IN CASE.

. It has been sitting on the  sofa side table since then, charging its batteries with light from the window.
Never Used.

I Had how to use, or  what it would or could do.

I picked up the shrieking radio, pushed Band and it went to country music for a split second, and 
started to make a different loud noise.
LOUD NOISE
then a loud voice says
Tornados on the ground near your location
WHAT!??
I flip the TV from the dratted political news, to the local weather and
for the rest of the afternoon, we had 6 tornadoes.
6 on the ground, 2 in Sarasota, 4 in Bradenton.
(don't get excited! tornados here are not like the big ones out west, they are fast and quick whirling devils of rain and wind, moving fast and gone)

we had one of them hit our yard and house in Sept of 2001, Gabrielle took down our giant tree and our fence and ripped the facia off the house. it only hit the back yards of 7 houses, that is how they are here. water spouts but scary.

Each time a new one popped up, the radio went off, the TV went off, My cell phone went off and the home phone rang with a warning to take cover.
all saying the same thing.

It was an all day woooooooooooooooooo wooooooooooooo 
and between alarms and woooo wooos I snacked!

The Good news is! that is all we got, 7 and 1/2 inches of rain, some wind and a lot of wooo woos!
for that I am thankful,
we lost a dead tree and got a lot of debri in the pool.
and a day that felt like 3 days not one.
Under the heading of good news, I figured out my cell takes panorama photos!


inside the house AND in the car waiting for the garage door to go down...



Am I thankful for the Eta weight gain?
But I am thankful for playtime on the cell phone




20 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

From the damage you talk about, they sure do NOT seem like minor occurrences! Still enough to be plenty to be scared of. And no basement! No wonder you ate!! So glad all is well, and you didn't even lose power!

CheerfulMonk said...

Wow! I'm glad that's over. Your poor pup, and you and Bob too. ❤️

Rose said...

Wow, that would be a day that never ends...glad it was no worse than it was. Which was bad enough.

easyweimaraner said...

oh how good that there was no too hard damage.... and we hope it is over now and that evil storms go into lockdown like we all...

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Crikey. I think the 'sirens' would have me a nervous wreck more than the storms themselves!!! YAM xx

Ann said...

That had to have been a stressful day. I'm glad that all those tornadoes didn't cause any serious damage.

Hootin Anni said...

I like the idea of playtime & naps...but the woo woo woo's, not so much!!!

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
I am sure that noise drove Beau crazy, I do not like the emergency sounds we have over the tv and cell phones. It is fun to play with your cell phone, the panorama photos are nice. I turned off the cell phone noise, so I stopped having the sound come from my phone. I am glad the stormy day did not do too much damage. Take care, enjoy your day!

Forsythia said...

As if there isn't enough noise and excitement from the storm itself! I'm glad you got off relatively unscathed and were even able to increase your already formidable techno-skills during your ordeal.

Martha said...

It was definitely a stressful day and those constant tornado warnings didn't help a bit. I really should get one of those weather radios too since I'm an addicted storm watcher like you are.

Mevely317 said...

Dumb question. Shortly after you profiled your Zurio radio, I ordered one as well. We only turned ours on during Zeta, but now I'm wondering if yours is always on/at the ready?
LOVE your panorama photos. My phone has that feature, too; but I haven't tried it yet.

My Mind's Eye said...

BOL BOL BOL yay for you Sandra you have a PhD in entertaining yourself and US!! Well done on the story and photos.

Answering your question in your comment on my blog. No we don't live in the mountains. Raleigh is smack in the middle of NC. We are about 3 hours away from our mountains.
Hugs Cecilia

Chatty Crone said...

I am so glad you got some much needed rain and not much damage. You were lucky as I am sure some places got it bad. What a year.

DeniseinVA said...

Very happy to hear you're all okay. Thanks for the update, which was fun to read.

photowannabe said...

You should be a playwright or something.
It's an adventure just reading your posts.
7+ inches of rain is a lot of wet stuff coming down.
Poor Beau and all of that Wooo Wooo .....
At least you are warned.
Be safe as the season progresses.
Sue

The Adventures of the LLB Gang said...

So glad to hear you didn't get any major damage!!! Well, except for the over-snacking.

jp@A Green Ridge said...

I'd have been right there with you snacking my way through all the info on the storms, Sandra!...:)jp

Ruth Hiebert said...

I am happy to hear that all you got was rain and a lot of disrupting alerts.

NanaDiana said...

Big or little-tornadoes are scary things. Would you believe that our city has never had a direct hit although there are many in Wisconsin. Hope you can get caught up on your sleep/rest. xo Diana

Inger said...

You had quite a day. Sometimes those alarms are much worse than the actual thing they are alarming about. But, of course, still good to have them.