Thursday, December 3, 2020

Turkey Tale on Thankful Thursday

 


I do NOT like to cook. I have NEVER cooked a turkey, from age birth to 39 my mother cooked the turkeys until at age 40 I married 
Bob in 1985 and he cooked the turkey.

Behold, a tale of the turkey  I cooked. Well, kinda sorta!

On Wed before Turkey day, I went online, to KFC (Kentucky Fried Chicken) for those of you in other countries.
I ordered a specials named Today/Tomorrow. Two days of Chicken, slaw, mashed potatoes and gravy and biscuits.
Ordered, drove 1.6 miles to KFC, they handed it to me out the window and I was back homes.
Woo Hoo... total time 19 minutes from  order to table.
Are you sitting in suspense, wondering about this kinda sorta I cooked it turkey?
Scroll down for the rest of the story.


We were sitting in the living room, Bob watching football, our tummies groaning from all that chicken, when a car pulled in the driveway.
Our neighbor from next door, whom we have never met, came to the door struggling with a giant box
.
He said I live next door, I am pastor of a church and I run Joseph's House, a ministry for men with addictions and we have been giving out dinners all morning and we had one turkey dinner left and I want you to have it.
I am not quick on my thinking and took the box and said thank you.

As soon as I stepped inside, I thought you idiot, why didn't you say no thank you and refuse it?

I had it so I opened it.

The  turkey came fully cooked and frozen, as was the dressing, mashed potatoes, gravy, cranberry orange relish and marshmallow dessert.

I will not say here what I was saying while looking at ALL that food.
Whining was involved, a lot of whining.

I may have had a few not so nice things to say as I removed old stuff from fridge to make room for new stuff  and stuffed new stuff into our tiny fridge to THAW for a couple of days.

We finished the KFC by eating it for lunch and dinner and stuffing stuff in freezer of said tiny fridge.

Let the PHUN begin.
First of all they put the instructions on the bottom of the frozen STUFF, causing me to turn it upside down to read it.
Things like heat 35 minutes on 350, Stir, heat 25 minutes on 375.
that was the potatoes, the dressing was different times and heat.

REALLY? I could cook potatoes on top of stove in 20 minutes, and dressing for 30 minutes.

The fully cooked turkey had to be heated 1 and 1/2 hours at 325, top photo before, bottom after said heating.
I heated it first and sit it out to cool.

Since it all had to be heated at different temps and time, well Just sayin it took a whole morning to REHEAT the dinner I did not have to cook.

Remember I hate to COOK! Cooking and reheating are the same to me. I did and we will be eating left overs for days and freezing what is left. Ok, Nuff said.
My kind of reheating involves slapping it on a bowl or plate and punching the numbers on the microwave.

I am thankful. I think!

I have practiced saying No thank you dozens of time in case this happens again....

Also these are my thoughts.
PLUS! what if the people they gave these dinners to had no OVEN or could not read, or no electricity?






21 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

Good for you for accepting! If you said NO, it would have made him feel bad! Plus, it is good protein and vegetables, YES! For just some reheating, you have meals for days! As Linda would say "Win WIN!"

CheerfulMonk said...

I'm with you...they meant well but giving gifts that require work? We ordered a turkey dinner at our local grocery store once. It was supposed to make the dinner easy, no fuss. I picked it up a day or so before Thanksgiving expecting to start eating it early. Nope, it needed defrosting, then more cooking to "reheat." Say what?? At the time we had a microwave convection oven, but now we only have a small microwave. How useless would that have been?

easyweimaraner said...

we totally agree!!! if we had a kfc near us (next one is 30 miles) we would do the same... at least Mark would... he is addicted hahahah

DeniseinVA said...

What a very nice neighbor you have. For the very first time we bought an already cooked turkey meal but there was still a lot left over and we were able to give some away. We were expecting company but with this thing going on, we all called it a day. We don’t eat turkey too much except for Thanksgiving and then we send people off with leftovers. Next year if we find ourselves in the same position, we will probably get a small chicken, make up a batch of mashed potatoes and throw some greens on the plate. Nice and simple sounds good right now, and some fried chicken, I know hubby would love that but I can’t eat anything fried these days. Our local fried chicken place doesn’t have the greatest reputation so we steer clear.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
OH my... that was a case of "they meant well" !!! Maybe Beau will benefit from some turkey treats into the new year?! YAM xx

Hootin Anni said...

Well, you brought out humor on this whole scenario (at least for us readers)...but, I think you're spot on. COOK? Isn't that a four letter word?

I don't answer the door unless we are expecting someone so, I never have to say "no".

crafty cat corner said...

I'm with you Sandra. All these blogs showing the food people have made make me feel guilty. lol
I used to cook loads when the kids were at home but now we have 'ready dinners' and 'take aways ' most of the time.
Why mess about with all the cooking pans and washing up if you don't have to, we just go out and pick something out of the freezer, pop it in the microwave and voila! we have dinner.
I love it..
We ha d a similar thing happen to us last year. Our next door neighbour had two organic turkeys delivered by mistake and the shop told him to keep them both, he gave us one. It was enormous, I had to cut it up to get it in the freezer. Just hoping the same thing doesn't happen this year lol
Briony
x

eileeninmd said...

Hello Sandra,

You have a very nice neighbor. I did not know you really do not like cooking. Hubby and I were eating turkey leftovers for days. I am thinking about a lasagna in the crock pot for Christmas dinner. Take care, have a happy day!

Ann said...

Well it was kind of him to think of you but that is a lot of work to reheat a meal. My idea of reheating is the same as yours. I most likely would have put it all in the oven at the same temp and just adjusted the time up or down for each item.

Mevely317 said...

Gurl, I'm dying over here! I've a post coming up soon about our own experience yesterday with making a 'fast and easy' turkey. Never again!!!

Ya, that was a nice gesture. But. You think he might have asked if you already had made a turkey? What if y'all were vegan? Oh, don't get me started on slim to no refrigerator space. I've threatened Tom with a meat cleaver if he brings home any more frozen food.

Forsythia said...

After reading about KFC, I shed a few years because our wonderful KFC is now a Dunkin Doughnuts. We already had 2 or 3 of those scattered about the town. The only other KFC I know of is in Silver Spring, where my dentist is. I used to schedule my appointments so that I could go there afterwards. Because of Covid, he decided to retire. :-(

Martha said...

That was nice of your neighbor but I sure wish you would have told us about it right away. Those of us who like to cook could have saved you time, whining, and all the phun. If it all came fully cooked and frozen all you needed to do was let it thaw, put it on plates and punch numbers in on the microwave. There was no need to heat the whole thing unless you were serving a crowd and needed it all hot at the same time. You could have also just thrown it all in the oven together and just met in the middle on temp and time.

Rose said...

I have a hard time thinking when hit with a surprise like that...I cannot stand turkey...and neither do my girls. So we do not do turkey meals. We used to...I used to eat it and enjoy...will tell you the rest in an email sometime soon.

My Mind's Eye said...

Woohoo you scored. You are correct thou what do the recipients do if they are w/o warming appliances.
WE too ordered take out. Normally we dine in at the restaurant every year for T-giving. However in October they called to give us the option of take out we were thrilled because we did not plan on eating inside the restaurant this year.
Hugs cecilia

Inger said...

The thought behind giving you the turkey was good though. Other than that, this post just cracked me up. I really was laughing out loud, which reminded me that it has been ages since I did that. So a huge thank you to you and you PHUN stuff, my friend.

The Adventures of the LLB Gang said...

I suppose it's the thought that counts...but I think your KFC run sounds lie it was a better Thanksgiving dinner!

Ruth Hiebert said...

Sounds to me like it was a generous gift, given from the heart.

jp@A Green Ridge said...

Only you would wonder about people having no ovens...LOL!!!!!...:)jp

Ella said...

I'm so grateful we didn't have Thanksgiving and I don't have to cook the turkey! Amen! LOL

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

The intentions were good even if it did mean extra work for you. I guess the next time you will say no thanks?

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I thought that was a very nice gesture.