Tuesday, January 5, 2021

Power Outage 2

.....continued from yesterday post.

We woke up the morning after the power outage to this....

One Blank Faced Thermostat and NO HEAT


Two red flashing Clocks


and a cold, dark and empty Coffee Maker.


and no partridge in a pear tree, or tree for him to be in. 

First things First. 
I pushed the manual ON button and waited to hear it burble.
As it burbled, I muttered.

The house temp was 64, out side was 48. 
I stood staring at the blank screen of the thermostat. No idea how to program it.
As I gathered flashlight from kitchen, large magnifier glass from drawer
I muttered 
"why would they make a thermostat I can't SEE"
shine flash light on it
"tiny letters, can't even read"
hold magnifier in front of it
"why would they install the thing with out battery backup if they make it programable"
only have 2 hands, how do I push what I can't see
'why would they make a thermostat a #$@%% computer"
I could see one tiny word, 
PROGRAM
I lay down the glass and punch the button under the word program.
you do not want me to repeat the rest of my mutters.
I did it, the heat came on.
I rant and rave about the installer  who did not put a battery back up in it. the one who said, I will program it for you and LEFT without instructions or a manual.
A few days before I had called the installer to find out what I had, and how to change from AC to Heat.
Also watched  YouTube video twice, just to do that.
Lucky me. I vaguely remembered seeing him program it.

I can tell you my parents would never have been able to turn the heat on.

Next stop was 2 RED Numbers FLASHING clocks.

Seems we neglected to replace the back up batteries to hold during power outage 
Unprintable mutterings, use your imagination. 
let me mention that at what I thought was midnight because the flashing clock said 12:00 while flashing, I took the midnight antiviral pill while half asleep  and who knows what the real time was when I took it.

I stormed walked in the kitchen to the
Now full of coffee, coffee maker,  with Two Things to Program
I take two sips of coffee, while once again trying to use a flashlight, magnifiers and push buttons that I can't SEE.
All this for a two hour power failure and the scary thing is, even a 2 minute power failure can do the same thing.









21 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

Wow!! Well, you must almost never lose your power! We lose it at least once or twice a year. And luckily we have a thermostat manuel. What a way to start your day, plus you must have been freezing the entire time.

Saimi said...

Holy cow what an ordeal for you, I hate when you can't see anything. I'm afraid this is going to be our fate. Where we used to live we hardly ever lost our power but down here at the farm its a regular thing. Even before we moved we would get alarm notices for the power being out and Ken would have to drive down here and check things out. I'm hoping I never have to deal with the thermostat because I'd be in the same boat you were in. Glad you got it worked it out but man sounds like a cold start...burrr!!

CheerfulMonk said...

What a mess! I hope you don't lose power again for a long, long time.

easyweimaraner said...

the mornings what start this way bring mostly a day what fits... but we hope the rough start brings good things anyway...

Anni said...

I woulda gone back to my warm bed and waited for daylight.

Ann said...

I would have been saying HBO words as soon as I saw no coffee. That is frustrating. I still have the old fashioned type of thermostat on the wall. I can't read it without glasses and a light though. I can't believe they didn't even leave you directions on how to program that

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
I will have to learn how to work the thermostat, my hubby and son always change it. I can fix all the clocks. 48° is cold for a morning there. Take care, enjoy your day!

Martha said...

Things like that are definitely complicated these days, and I sure can't see them either! I liked what Ann said about using HBO words lol. If my home was a movie it would definitely get a strong language warning :D

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Ahhh... a penny just dropped - this time last year dad's central heating went all AWOL and came on during the day and went off at night and then at all odd times and we were cold when it should've been warm and boiling when we should've been comfy... but your tale of sorrow touched my memory that we did have a power outage in Edinburgh at that time - my sister's house a mile away was affected too. It never occurred to me until now that the reason for the heating being all wrong was because of that. It is gas-powered, but the thermostat and timer, of course, are electric!!! Hey ho... YAM xx

Rose said...

That must have been so much fun...NOT. I wonder if you have a nest thermostat..oldest daughters house has one...I had to watch videos to change it when we stayed there those two weeks.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I hate having to reset everything too! What a pain! Hope today is better and you enjoy this beautiful weather!

My Mind's Eye said...

Power outages surely make the Devil laugh as he watches and hears us.

I really dislike all the digitals blinking red at me.
48 in Florida that is cold.
Hugs Cecilia

Mevely317 said...

What a rotten experience! I never thought to watch a video when our thermostat went belly-up last month. Tom does better with visual learning like that. Instead I got the model number and pulled up and printed a .pdf of the operating manual. But ya, there was lots of muttering going on up here, too.
At least you didn't do like my SIL last week -- so distraught about the power blip, she set the coffee pod to 'go' but forgot to set a cup under. After cleaning THAT up, she tried again but forgot to change the pod and wound up with muddy water.

Inger said...

Oh, that's so awful! But what a blessing that you are so smart and aren't afraid to investigate and push buttons. Hope all is well now.

DawnTreader said...

It's a complicated world...

photowannabe said...

I echo every one of these friend's comments..
I hate resetting clocks I really haven't had a problem with the thermostat though. It's simple for "simple" me.
Man...it never rains but it pours for you....
Life's adventures!!!
Love ya
Sue

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

Well, that sure doesn't sound like a very fun morning. Mom just happened to look at one of our thermostats yesterday and it said "low battery" - HUH? She didn't know it had batteries. But she popped off the cover and there they were. It seems like nothing comes with hard copy manuals anymore - everything is online. Not a lot of good if the power is out:)

Woos - Lightning, Misty, and Timber

DeniseinVA said...

Oh boy, power failures are not fun. We had one up here for about half an hour.

Pam said...

The way of the digital world I am afraid. Something goes out and we have to reset. I totally dislike those red flashing numbers.

Linda said...

Goodness! You had a time of it!! We lose power a lot more often than you do! I can roll with it now. We have a programable coffee pot - but I make it the night before and just have to push the on button wen I get up.
One year ( a few years ago now...) we went without heat the entire year because we did not know how to light the pilot up in the attic. The lext year we asked Mike to look at it. It was automatic and you don't have a pilot light!! We actually use our heat from time to time but not often. I may turn it on to reach 68 degrees but then I turn it off. I'd rather wear more clothes!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Glad you got it figured out and yes he should have had a battery backup on your thermostat. Power outages drive me crazy. Thankfully they don't happen too often with underground power lines.