Monday, May 3, 2021

Twin Plants From Different Mothers


Meet Philomena, my now repotted Philodendron of the heart shaped leaves.

Philomena. Filomena is a form of the Greek female given name Philomena. It means "friend of strength" (φιλος (philos) "friend, lover" and μενος (menos) "mind, purpose, strength, courage") or "loved one" (φιλουμενη (philoumene) meaning "loved").

I do hope the two plants will be come friends of strength and once more have glorious leaves that cover the light switch, as it did  before. 

I trimmed the old plant back to the bottom of the pot.
Hacked the root ball to a 2 inch deep size.
Filled new pot with Miracle Grow Soil, pushed the old rootball down on new soil,
added the two tiny pots received in mail from Amazon.
Watered the whole thing and The Man Hung Her up for me.
  
Philomena, My Ugly duckling that I hope will turn into a beautiful
Princess of a Plant, and grow long beautiful tresses that will fill the empty corner.
For now the space is a hat rack
The Punch line is... after all the ordering of new plants I found pieces of Philomena growing in our font yard. I COULD have just dug them up and added them to her half.

 Pothos and Philodendron: Twin Plants From Different Mothers | Costa Farms




25 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

Well, you can still dig them up if these don't get full enough. They will be your backup!

Linda said...

I agree with Ginny! Dig them up!!!
I've been digging up monkey grass and lariope and replanting them where I want them instead of them growing out of control where they were. Free landscaping! Kind of like moving furniture inside only this is in the yard!

CheerfulMonk said...

That's neat that some are growing in your yard. It means you don't have to worry. 😊

easyweimaraner said...

we hope it will turn into a beautiful swan ;o) we had a ginormous one, sadly the hook at the ceiling was fixed by mark and so it became a floor plant....

Tigger's Mum said...

F has a book called Gardens for Free - you could add a chapter to it on houseplants for free (or a lot less than full retail price). Nothing is really free is it? Everything comes with some sort of price or payback.

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

I think you plant will grow and look beautiful. It just needs some time.
The plant in the yard can be your backup. Have a great day!

Hootin Anni said...

I'm sure, in time, they'll both be wondrous gems.

Ann said...

My prediction is that it will grow and look full and beautiful in no time.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari Om
I'm sure they will thrive under your Loving Care... that's a neat article too! YAM xx

Rose said...

They will probably grow like mad since you found a backup.

My Mind's Eye said...

MOL MOL MS plants from different mothers. I love it!!
Hugs Cecilia

Mevely317 said...

"Friend of strength" ... I love that! Just what the Amazon preemies need to hear.

The impromptu hat rack looks cute. It reminds me of my (future) DIL's first apartment: She decorated her walls with vintage clothing and hats found at thrift stores, and hung with those long hat pins so as not to make nail holes.

Chatty Crone said...

That sounded like a lot of work - maybe that is one reason I don't have plants. lol

Martha said...

You could always dig them up and have another one somewhere.

Inger said...

Your house looks so pristine and the green of the plants will add perfect color to that corner.

DawnTreader said...

Good job, and a reminder for me that it may be time for me to move my surviving remainder of my old clematis to a bigger pot, in order to put that back out on the balcony again. It's still chilly though - near frost at night sometimes - and I've been tired and not in the mood...

photowannabe said...

Philomena is going to love her new home and thrive.
Soon her tresses will cover that light switch and you will be one happy green-thumb-er.
Your kitchen looks so fresh and inviting. The splash of green against all the white is perfect.
Sue

Ruth Hiebert said...

It should be fun to watch the new plants grow.

The Adventures of the LLB Gang said...

You have options!! We do hope that the new plants flourish!!

LC said...

Hope she does indeed expand to a size worthy of her long name!

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

Philomena looks quite healthy and beautiful to us. Maybe you can dig up the ones in the yard and have a planter in every room:)

Woos - Lightning, Misty, and Timber

Catalyst said...

They will grow. And grow. And grow.

Olde Dame Holly said...

May your plants decide they are of Rapunzel's line, and throw down their tresses for all to see.

DeniseinVA said...

Philomena, I like that name and know of someone in Ireland whose name it is. Sure is a pretty plant.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Very nice. I hope they do well for you.