Sunday, August 21, 2022

Death of a Wordsmith


My Wordsmith Skills died a Sudden Death.
3 days ago, it took its last breath.
I started 6 posts for next week,
My thought ran hither and thither, Words I did seek.
I discussed with myself, a break for this coming week,
I sat and stared at the photos and each thing I thought was too weak.
I decided to use PicMonkey to bury my skills, as you can see.
Then suddenly an idea came to me.
I can Bore you to death with a word from this week
because it came in my email, and I did peek.


Fiasco . complete failure.
synonyms:
failure · disaster · catastrophe · debacle · shambles · farce · mess · wreck · ruin · ruination · blunder · botch 

The story of this word involves the original Italian word fiasco, which means "glass bottle."

According to one theory, when Venetian glassblowers realized a beautiful piece was flawed, they turned it into an ordinary bottle.

When that happened, a would-be work of art was downgraded into a mere fiasco - which is, according to the theory, how that word came to mean "complete failure."

YAY! I managed to do a Fiasco of a POST that is all of the above!   If I don't post tomorrow, you will know the fodder folder has folded.

Happy Birthday to My Baby Brother David, who may need a dragon to blow out 74 candles on his cake today. No photos allowed, if you search the internet, you will find no photos of him.
shhhh he will never know








18 comments:

Rose said...

Fiasco....we almost had a fiasco this morn...I forgot to tell you in my email. Will go do that now.

Happy Birthday, David!

Mevely317 said...

Well now I know it's Italian -- so it can't be bad. Right? Those synonyms made me flash back to the smashed-to-smithereens liquor bottle fiasco last month. Gonna be a long time before I live THAT one down.

Happy Birthday to your baby bro. Do y'all still look as much alike as you did in this '54 photo?

Mevely317 said...

Well (INSERT RUDE WORD), Blogger just ate my comment. I don't know what's going on but that's the 4th time this morning.

My Mind's Eye said...

Happy 74th to David!!
and well done on your Fiasco Post.
I am having a time commenting today.
Every time I click on all blogs I get
Interruption in load...reload.
Hugs Cecilia

photowannabe said...

I have subscribed to the Wordsmith thingy too. Loved the definition of fiasco...
There is lots of that word in my life...
Happy Birthday to your brother too.
Keep on blogging!!!!!
Sue

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
We do not need any fiasco happening here, I prefer calmness.
Happy Birthday to David! Cute photo of you two!

Take care, enjoy your day!

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Neatly done - and somehow, I can't imagine you running out of words... jus' sayin'... &*> YAM xx

Chatty Crone said...

Happy birthday David.
I love the word of the day - mine was epitome. ☺

Hootin Anni said...

Happy birthday to your brother!! That photo is the best. And Sandra, you haven't changed a bit!! Cuteness.

crafty cat corner said...

My life is a 'fiasco' at the moment Sandra, I just want things to be back to normal.
Briony
x

Linda said...

Love the photo!!!
Fiasco is a good word and one I have not thought of in a long time.
Summer has had a FIASCO with arriving in Texas without her meds and has been without for well over a WEEK and is in level 8-9 pain now because her charger for her Spinal stimulator has died and she must go through the whole rigamarole of getting a new one - insurance approval, doctor visits and evaluations and on and on. I have been panic mode worried about her on Friday when I found out the extent of her fiasco! I was about to make a bigger mess of it by trying to take her back to Arkansas to get her meds and turn around and drive back home since she needs to be here to get her new battery charger sooner or later. She can't really function until she gets it. BUT Amber is a problem solver and stepped in once she heard of the true FIASCO and is now commander in chief arranging for the meds to be Express mailed to her house and installing Summer in her guest room and managing all Summer's medical appointments for the next week or two or however long it takes to get her back up and running. In the meanwhile, Louis Dean and I are back on our schedule to go to the ranch tomorrow.

I probably should have sent all this in an email but I started typing and all these words just gushed out!

CheerfulMonk said...

Love the photo, and the post! Fingers crossed on the fodder folder. 😊

Ginny Hartzler said...

The Mad One is IN the house!! I am very familiar with this word, and have used it a lot. But I did not know the origin, how cool!!! How far away does your brother live, do you keep in touch? I love the baby dragon breathing fire on the candles!!! It would make an awesome card, and should be sold in stores. Maybe doing an entire week's worth of posts is too much of an overload, maybe create less posts at one time?

DeniseinVA said...

This fiasco was really fine! Happy birthday to your baby brother. Great photo!

Ann said...

Hmm, interesting theory on the word fiasco. I would not classify this post as one though. I say it is a great success.
Happy birthday to your brother.

LC said...

I love how you turned a challenging episode into an entertaining and informative post! Much better than my method of procrastinating until a massive guilt trip drags me into posting.

Tigger's Mum said...

10 year old you is a doppelganger for my cousin! Perhaps you should use one of those word for the day things and teach us new stuff like this for a week.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Happy Birthday to your brother David!
That is very interesting how that word came about.