Tuesday, August 23, 2022

For Just In Case!

 


Just In Case you ever drop your laptop on your foot, and it bounces and takes the skin off your shin bone and still hurts for days after you did it, and you want to soak your shinbone.

My Dad believed that anything that happened to your body, all you had to do was soak it in warm salt water. Even a sore throat the cure was gargle with warm salt water.
Epson salt is best but not for the throat, use just regular old table salt is what he used.

I had this KNOWLEDGE passed down from his parents and theirs, way before there was an internet.
My problem was, I knew I needed to soak my sore, but how do you soak a shinbone unless of course you fill a tub and sit in it. 
I don't do tubs. EVER! I am a shower only person.
If you love tubs, your fix is easy except sitting in salt water might be expensvie in more ways than one.

For five days this sore has ached, burned, itched, kept me awake at night and I have put iodine, peroxide and various antibiotic salves which did NOTHING.

Day 6, Senior Memory Kicked in and I thought Soak It In Salt Water.
I soaked my shin bone
Items needed list below.
One foot tub,
(Left over from Bob's visit to hospital in 2017 and then designated as Sandra's Foot Soaking Tub.)
small container, filled with warm water and LOTS of table salt.
Wash cloth to dry foot because why use a huge towel that will need to be washed?
Cotton Rounds (if you have none, a washcloth will work)
See Above Photo for What to do with all of the above.
IT WORKED!  the first time I soaked the sore. I did it again 4 hours later and Wow!
for those of you who doubt this, check the internet HERE
A warning here, if you go to the link, you will find a lot of Balderdash Stuff that My daddy never did and never would.  THEY say Boil the water or buy purified water.
I say Balderdash


22 comments:

CheerfulMonk said...

I'm so glad it worked!! ❤️

Ginny Hartzler said...

Hurrah, your Dad has fixed your ouchie!!! I must have spent years gargling with warm salt water.

Ginny Hartzler said...

Goodness, you have pretty feet!

easyweimaraner said...

shine bone accidents are from hell... yay for a good therapy and we hope it helps a lot and you are like brand new soon

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
My mother was an Epsom Salts gal... however, as a health pro, I would add the warning that the use of ES on open wounds can be as destructive as it is healing. I certainly wouldn't use it on a fresh wound with open skin. The magnesium sulfate can inflame the subcutaneous layer. However, as your wound was probably already in the healing phase, it makes sense that it is now helping with the healing. So the timing of application is a consideration also... YAM xx

Ann said...

There is a lot to be said for those old time fixes. I'm trying to think of some of the ones my dad had but none are coming to mind right now.

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
I keep Epsom salts in my bathroom closet and I have used salt water for my mouth and gums. I am glad your foot feels better. Take care, enjoy your day!

roentare said...

Epsom salts is not only a good aperients but also good for topical wound treatment. it is even quite good for eczema too

Hootin Anni said...

I remember mom having me gargle with salt water after "baby teeth" we're pulled.

Rose said...

Sait water is my answer for everything...has been for years.

Mevely317 said...

We've got one of those same foot tubs, too!
Our parents were so alike -- Epsom salts was a staple and gargling with salt water any time someone had a sore throat. To this day, if I start to get a sore throat I'll fix a potion. Thanks for taking me on a trip down Memory Lane!

PS- If I ever have "unspoken-for" $$$, I'd love to redo my bath in that muted green like yours.

My Mind's Eye said...

My family would 100% agree.
When I was a child I was always in a hurry (still am)
banging into something. However, I remember going to the beach a lot as a child and all the mosquitoes on the Coast found me. I would be covered in bites. Dad would take me to the ocean to soak the bites and OMDs did that salt water work wonders, Lately I'm hearing warnings about getting in the ocean due to high levels of E coli. So probably not a good idea. I wonder how E coli grows in
salty water. But then you know me I'm always wondering
Hugs Cecilia

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

That's good to know. I knew a person that used the word balderdash in place of a curse word! hahahaha!

Chatty Crone said...

Buy a $1.25 bucket at the Dollar Tree then it might go up to your shin! lol You get hurt a lot!

photowannabe said...

Fantastic that you have begun that healing process..salt is a magical cure for what ails you.
I think of the musical "The Music Man".
They used that word balderdash. Perfect for that era.
A lot of the political talk swirling around social media is PURE BALDERDASH...
I'm so excited...I'm leaving in a few to meet my friend for coffee and lots of gabbing. Haven't seen her in person since Christmas. Her son is Downs Syndrome and full of hugs. He's 22 and I will get some long overdue hugs today.
Sue

Chatty Crone said...

PS I am so glad it worked and you are feeling better.

The Adventures of the LLB Gang said...

Our family was a big believer in gargling with salt water when you had a sore throat...and I continue the tradition.

So glad the soaking paid off!

Ruth Hiebert said...

I also grew up in a home where salt was used as medicine. We had a few other remedies which I am thankful are not available anymore, such as Castor Oil. This stank to high heavens but was supposed to cure sore throats. Hope you leg soon is all better.

DeniseinVA said...

Ouch! Happy this worked for you. I remember my parents getting me to gargle in salt water. A lot of those passed-down old remedies still have a lot of merit. Speedy healing!

DawnTreader said...

My maternal grandfather was a great believer in using butter for healing wounds. Whether it ever actually helped, I have no idea!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I am so glad you found a way to soak it. I always take home those tubs from the hospital!

Linda said...

I LOVE that word and am going to use it first chance I get!