Saturday, October 8, 2022

I am still here! Day Eleven after Ian

 


I am so sorry I have not been able to post or read your blogs!
Above is Bobs legs, mine are almost as bad, we both have bruises on arms. I can't lift my arms, my back is sore, neither of us can get up without groaning.
Today is 11 days since Hurricane Iam slammed our House, we have worked every day 6 to 8 hours for Bob and 4 to 6 for me because even though he is older, he can work harder and longer.
Neither of us is sleeping well. I can't use the mouse of my computer without extreme pain.
I have dozens of photos and a few stories for you. they must wait.

Our 5 Walmart's, the shelves are empty and no way to restock.
The Main distribution center if in Arcadia and still under water, destroyed. that is where our eggs and dairy and food stuff comes from.
Our produce and frozen foods, come from Port Charlotte, the distribution center is GONE, it is one of the horrors you are seeing on TV
Walmart employees told me it will be 3 weeks before they can get food delivered.
Nothing in the store but nonedible things.
Because of that, I have had to go to other stores, looking for what we need.
I paid 82 dollars at Publix for what would have been 61 at Wal-Mart.
Stress from money flowing out added to hunting for food and Total Exhaustion, has me
bursting into tears while cooking my crepe for breakfast.


During the days of working to clear the yard, it took 10 days to get it all to the curb. We are blessed, we did not lose our power, the below photos I took last night when the other side of our street and my veterinarians office got their power back on day 10.
At 5 am yesterday I heard the chain saws start and there were 4 trucks over there.
We found out when the 100 MPH winds bashed our garage door in, it took down 2 trees in their back yard, and also took down the power pole. it took them a couple of hours to clear the yard to get to the pole.
At the same time, the houses next to the house across the street lost 4 trees, 2 went down across the road blocking acess down our street. That same gust a few blocks down the tree flattened and 8 foot Chain link fence just by the force of the wind, for a full city block. It was around the golf course.
On all the streets there are homes with no damage and next to them a lot of damage.
I am thankful we are safe and have a home and food to eat.
Just typing this has my arms and shoulders and back on fire.
I will not be visiting or posting until I feel better.
This has kicked up my enemy IBS.


This is one of three of our piles we moved.
We had no wheelbarrow to haul things, and with our age, and 2 trash cans, it took hours and many,may trips the 150 feet, one small can at a time,
Also dragged large limbs and sawed and move 1/2 of a tree.


Bend, lift, stand, walk to curb, repeated for 10 days
I close with the thing I miss so much, and it is NOT a big deal.
I will be back soon.
Thank you to all of you who have emailed to lift my spirits.
WE ARE Good, Just crippled from
using a pitchfork to rake, lift, dump over and over and over again
LOVE YOU MISS YOU

24 comments:

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
❤🙏 Keeping you in mind and heart with prayers offered for your ease. We miss you too but completely understand your need to focus on the immediate. We'll be here and ready when you are. Sending Love to you and Bob and Beau. YAM xx

Linda said...

You are so brave, Sandra! You have been through a terrible time and, although the storm is over, your struggle continues. Please know I am praying for you and Bob every day and as often as I think of you - wich is many times throughout the day. Praying God will supernaturally provide for your needs. Hang in there!

eileeninmd said...

Hello Sandra,
I am so glad you, Bob and Beau are ok. I can only imagine all your aches and pains from having to clear out the debris from your yard. I would try to look at the bright side, at least your house is safe. Probably easier said than done. Sending prayers for you and Bob and all the people affected by Hurricane Ian. Take care and let your body rest.

Ginny Hartzler said...

I hope you can find some kind of anti inflammatory med to help you!! That would help your poor body to heal. You were both luck and unlucky. It is so not right that two seniors your ages had to do all this, but I guess lots of others did as well. The help went to those in terribly dire straits. I am so very glad to see you back, and so very sorry it was so painful to do so!! Don't try to post every day, you will set your healing back. We all will wait and worry.

Millie and Walter said...

We're so sorry to hear you have had to go through all that you have. All paws are crossed that you both will feel better soon, and the hard work is mostly over. We hadn't heard about the problems with getting your food to the stores but are not surprised after seeing the damage done. We are keeping you in our thoughts.

Chatty Crone said...

What a bittersweet story - the best of the worst. I am glad you are safe - but the work looks horrendous. What happened to his legs? I can see from butting those logs and fragging them to the front has to be a killer job. Walmart looks so sad. I am sorry you had to deal with all that. I hope your body heals fast. Was Beau scared with the noise of the wind? Don't worry about posting - just take care of yourself.

DawnTreader said...

Oh you poor guys... Even though it could have been worse, it still certainly sounds "bad enough"!! Take care of yourselves, and take your time about getting back to "normal". And I hope you'll be able to find the food and stuff you need. Hugs!

roentare said...

I am so sorry to hear about this news. Please stay well and hope everything will be restored quickly

Mevely317 said...

I was sharing with Troy and Lois a little bit ago your and Bob's experience; they were shaking their heads that anyone over 80 y/o was able to cup up and dispose of that tree. I'm like, "Well, Bob's not your average senior citizen."

I'm so sorry your body's letting you know it's not happy. 'Just thanking God the three of you are safe and dry! Someday you'll look back on this week and think, "Yes, I really did that!" Major props!

Brian's Home Blog said...

I've not emailed you so that you wouldn't feel obligated to reply, we're been thinking about you each an every day. I'm just so happy you all survived that ordeal and I hope you never have to go through anything like it again. Hugs from us.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

My heart is breaking for you and Bob. Truly happy that you are safe and that your house is standing. I don't know how your doing it. When there is a will there's a way. ((HUGS)) Praying you are done with the clean up. Please rest and take care of yourselves. Thankfully Bob had his knees done and is able to do the work. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Wish I lived nearby so I could help you or at least Mark would be of help. God Bless You....

Hootin Anni said...

I've been checking your blog 2x daily hoping to hear you two are okay. Sore and stressed to the max. Know I hold all three of you close!!!

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

I have no words that haven't already been said. Just know that you are all in my prayers that you're able to get the rest needed to heal, and all else that you need to sustain you through this time. ❤❤

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I'm so sorry to hear everything you are going through. It really does get harder, the older we get. I hope and pray you get things sorted and things improve. Take care and don't worry about blogging right now. We'll be here when you want to talk! Hugs to you both, Diane

Terra said...

Wow, those poor legs, it sounds like you both worked to exhaustion, and so hard to find food. Be well and I hope recovery for everyone in Ian's path goes ahead quickly.

CheerfulMonk said...

I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to do nearly as much as you did. It boggles my mind. Please take care of yourself as best you can while you recover from the trauma and exhaustion. ❤️

WFT Nobby said...

Oh dear, this all sounds so traumatic. And exhausting. How I wish I could just pop over and lend a hand. Do please try to take care of yourselves and mind those cuts and bruises.
Sending more hugs, Gail (and Nobby).

Ann said...

I am so sorry to hear all this. I wish you had someone there to help with the hard work. I think my back is hurting just reading about all that.
Take care of yourself and we'll all be here when you are feeling well enough to get back to blogging.

ZOOLATRY said...

Prayers as you recover ... of course you "want it all done, back to normal", but baby steps are better. Take it slow ...
Ian may have caused some damage to your home, certainly to your yard and neighborhood,
but do not allow it to cause further damage to your well being and your health and
lives.
More prayers for both of you as you struggle through the days ahead.

My Mind's Eye said...

MS thank you for the update. Oh my goodness me I am so sorry about all the food shortages. I had not even thought about that since you aren't on an island. Struggling to stay nourished while doing all that physical labor is enough to make you teary. I hope you are managing to keep you IBS under control with all the supply issues.
Hugs and healing prayers to you, Bob and Beau
Cecilia

Breathtaking said...

Dear Sandra :=) I have a much better understanding of the situation now, and all the hard work you and Bob have had to do to get things cleared up, but at enormous cost to your health. I'm so sorry you are aching and tearful. Your spirit has kept you going, but what you need now is to rest. Huge hugs, get better soon.

DeniseinVA said...

I am so glad to see you back. You’ve been very much in my thoughts since the hurricane. It must have been horrendous and sounds awful what you have been dealing with. I can’t imagine what people are going through further south. I have missed you too as everyone in your blogging family has. I hope your poor bodies heal fast!!! I know you have a long clean-up ahead. I felt relieved seeing you here, but no worries on visiting and blogging only when you don’t feel too tired and achy and you feel like it. A big hug from me.

Catherine - Mixed Media Artist said...

I am shocked that you area doesn't have the Student Army - which in NZ came about after the Christchurch earthquakes. The original idea was that as the University and Colleges were closed the students would get together and do a whole of ordinary things for those affected.

They would arrive at "stations" and be given the tools like a wheelbarrow or other to help the community right their homes. Or check in on people, arrange food supplies and anything else.

Every day for months they turned up - of course they would be feed and transported wherever

It still exists but now the S.Army is in other places, during the covid lockdowns, they did your food shopping if you wished...

I'm so sad that as "seniors" you and Bob had to do so much hauling of plant material of on your own...

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Thank you, Sandra, for this update as difficult physically as it was for you to do. Like other bloggers have commented, I also have watched news stories about the destruction caused by hurricane Ian. It is heartbreaking to see homes and lifetimes gone. That said, glad to read that you and Bob survived the storm and I would have been just as scared. Hopefully, most of the hard cleanup is done and you can rest and heal. Fellow bloggers, like myself, would not expect you to post and comment until you feel able to do so comfortably.